Bill125812

Reviews on my cheap Van Damme RCA & XLR interconnects

Thanks [mention=151993]misternavi[/mention], shall I lash out and go for the flashy one - 'Cromo'?

Nice photography work btw! I dabble a bit myself, so appreciate your skill level.

thanks.

haven’t tried the cromo ones, i use the standard clear jacket usb cables for work. well made and tough. they get stepped on all the time & i trip over them too.

Guest Sime

Well I’m going to have to agree with the masses here. Mine just arrived today (thanks @Bill125812 ) and replaced my trusty old Van Den Hul The Sea cable I’ve been using on my Chord DAC’s for years. I’ve only listened to 4 songs (system is now off, it’s getting warm here) but so far with those tracks I know well, I’m hearing more clarity and top end detail. 

Ive plugged the 2nd pair into my Brooklyn where I can quickly A/B between my Columbia XLR  and Bills rca’s. 

So I’ll have a better listen late tonight when the world is quieter. But so far so good. 

Guest Sime
Posted (edited)

Well I had a good listen last night, and they are good cables indeed, punch well above their weight. But my trusty old Van Den Hul won out in the end. Bill’s cable on my system bought out the highs a fraction to much, and my system does not need any extra boost in that department. Both cables have a very different soundstage, probably slightly better on Bills. But also when I listen to my system, I can’t be slightly bothered by anything, and the treble boost was pinging my ears on certain frequencies ever so slightly. At first I thought it might be my ears, gave it a few tracks, same issue, went back to the VDH and the issue was gone. The VDH has better low end response also, on my system, which is the important thing to note. 

But I do have use for them, one pair will go onto my Mytek Brooklyn, this DAC is a bit brighter than my Qutest, and this DAC I use for albums that are a bit dull, so this cable goes well with that. The other will be plugged into the outputs of the 205 if I ever want to use the DAC in that. 

That all being said, regardless of how they are on my system, I couldn’t recommend them enough, probably one of the better valued cables around, and in future, Bill’s cables will be bought and tested first before any other cable is considered. 

Edited by Sime

Guest Sime

Also I might add, the extra pair I have can be borrowed by anyone in Canberra if they want to try them out. It’s a 1m RCA pair. 

Has anyone compared the XLR Canare versions over the XLR Van Dammes'?  I have the latter just wondering if there are any differences (subtle) or not.

Received XLR interconnect from Bill today and connected phonostage to amp. First impressions are good, one LP that used to sound a bit flat came to live a bit more especially on a particular track where the bass line came to the fore and went lower than before.

Received some speaker cables and rca interconnects with black connectors from Bill the other day. I don't have my system set up at the moment so can't comment on the sound yet, but the build quality is excellent. They look and feel fantastic. Looking forward to testing them out soon.

PS. You need names for these cables, Bill

On 21/04/2018 at 12:51 PM, Bags said:

PS. You need names for these cables, Bill

Thanks Bags 

Yes,  looking to getting a bill’s Cables label on them 

Cheers 

Well I know the name won't be $Bill ???

I got hold of a set of quite long speaker cables off Bill last week. I've been running one side with Bill's and the other with my DIY Dueland tinned Copper. It's amazing how close they are. At the moment the Duelands are showing a tad more midrange presence - though I'm not sure if run in is a factor on these cables. As to whether you like one over the other would be very taste / system dependent. I do note that Bill''s cables offer a slightly less lit up treble and I can see where that might be good in some systems for sure. I'll let them run in for a bit to see if they change.

There are companies out there charging lots more for cables that in my experience have not been able to deliver what Bill's cables can bring to the table. I think the thing that I keep coming back to is neutrality - and not in a bad way. There is no alteration in balance or tone or any other special effects on going on here - just passing the signal as it was received.

Been trying an external power amp with my trusty old Yamaha receiver to run some B&W CM6 speakers.  I was very happy with the improved headroom and overall sound improvement from this arrangement, and this was only using some old Belkin PureAv RCA cables that I had lying around.  Was going to go down the DIY path for some better interconnects when I found this thread.  Thought I would give Bill's cables a go, so contacted him and had some very nice looking, well built RCA cables in only a couple of days.

Bill said give the cables a couple of days to burn in, but I couldn't wait to put the cables to the test.  I used a range of music from Vivaldi's Four Seasons, Gotye's Making Music, Sia's 1000 Forms of Fear, Leonard Cohen's You Want It Darker and Daft Punk's Random Access Memories.  Even with the cables not burnt in, the difference was immediate.  Sound was improved across the whole frequency range, bass was stronger, mid-range more defined and treble clearer, smoother.

I have had the cables running for over a week and continue to be impressed. I am now noticing subtle nuances / layers in the music that I don't recall noticing before.  Even my dear wife who is normally ambivalent towards my sound system commented "It does sound clearer...."   so I rest my case.

Best bang for buck improvement to a sound system that I have encountered for a very long time.  Well done Bill and many thanks.

Posted (edited)

Wow.  I can’t be doing too badly.   I notice Geoff at Aurealis is now using Amphenol RCA’s on his cheaper range of IC’s 

Edited by Bill125812

Posted (edited)

Good cables for sure. 

Edited by scumbag

3 hours ago, Bill125812 said:

Wow.  I can’t be doing too badly.   I notice Geoff at Aurealis is now using Amphenol RCA’s on his cheaper range of IC’s 

It's a limited edition. I'm overstocked on 24 awg UPOCC wire and Amphenol RCAs are the best way to to keep the cost down and still buy an Australian company's connectors, which I try to do for the most part, although this not always feasible for the cables I make.  But I really can't say any more.  I'm not a sponsor on this site, and I take care not to promote my business in any comments I make because of that.  But I thank Bill for the promotion. God knows I need it. 

15 minutes ago, gmdb said:

It's a limited edition. I'm overstocked on 24 awg UPOCC wire and Amphenol RCAs are the best way to to keep the cost down and still buy an Australian company's connectors, which I try to do for the most part, although this not always feasible for the cables I make.  But I really can't say any more.  I'm not a sponsor on this site, and I take care not to promote my business in any comments I make because of that.  But I thank Bill for the promotion. God knows I need it. 

I think we all need a push along these days Geoff.  Hope you sell them mate 

23 hours ago, Bill125812 said:

I think we all need a push along these days Geoff.  Hope you sell them mate 

For those of us trying to run a business out of selling cables, yep, it's tough at the moment. 

For those of us trying to run a business out of selling cables, yep, it's tough at the moment. 

i’m sure it’s been tough post GFC (global financial crisis not Geelong football club)

Just a very quick comment. 

I do not run this service as a business.   I make these cables as a hobby and make little or no money on the builds.  When you take into consideretion the time it takes, silver solder, techflex, cable and rca’s not to mention the aust post express postage, I prob make a loss     But I enjoy doing them and as long as the members enjoy the cables. I’m happy to make them 

cheers