Hi Fi Show 2017 Pics and Reviews..

I was in Melbourne over the weekend, mostly catching up with family and friends, but I made a couple of short visits to the show. Not enough time to really do things justice. And my first time at a show, so there's a lot to take in and at times hard to know quite what to make of it. My favorite sounds were the Osborns and the active SGRs.

Now the long trip home.

On 11/5/2017 at 4:27 PM, BruceS said:

No problems Jventer

The CDs are: REUNION, The Lost Album, track 6, 'I Don't Want To Go Home'.

Five part harmony, very prominent bass singer and a very powerful lead vocalist.

Think it might be a bit hard to get as it did not show up on some of the show room's internet connections.

KENNY VANCE and the Planotones, Acapella, track 11, 'Please Be My Love Tonight'.

Four part harmony and includes Kenny Vance singing both tenor and high tenor/falsetto at different times during the song.

Think it is pretty readily available - you can also get it on Kenny Vance's website.

PENTATONIX PENTATONIX Deluxe Edition, track 11, 'Take Me Home'.

Five part harmony which includes a female.

Extremely well recorded, probably real demo quality.

Think it is very readily available.

Quite a few of the stands people took a strong interest in these CDs.

They are an extreme test of the speaker's mid range.

Had all the people walk out of one room because their speakers sounded so bad!!

Some of the big name speakers just could not cope - and that does not relate to price. 

One guy, early Friday put me off when he heard that I wanted to play aceppella music.

'Come back later in the day when we are not busy.'

Came back later in the day when there was no one in his room.

'Can't play your track because I have people coming later'!!!!!!!

That guy was as transparent as glass - he certainly knew his speakers could not cope with mid range but they were quite OK with bland jazz!!!

If you wanted you could go through the show with those or equivalent mid range testers and grade the speakers!!

I couldn't be bothered - that's not why I go to a HiFi show!

The Halcros were just glorious, but mid range is an electrostat's strong point, but, for example the speakers in the Redgum/Legend room coped extremely well, and they are certainly not expensive!!!

Must say that I am constantly surprised how poor the mid range is is some speakers.

Hope that helps.

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

Your posts were in my mind when I was at the show today.  One room played a track from a female aceppella group, and I was wondering if it had been sourced from your disks.  It was an old gospel song, I can't remember exactly but it could have been something like "Take A Greater Walk With Me", it felt like something Elvis would have covered.  I was certainly familiar with the song.

Edit:  This morning the song came back to me, "Take a Closer Walk With Me".  A great musical performance and it had great reproduction.

Edited by audiofeline

• Volunteer

My thoughts:

Firstly it's great to see so many Aussie companies represented. And great to see them pushing boundaries.

My faves from the aussies:

- The VAF actives (sorry Philip, I forget what they are called), were very impressive indeed. Philip Vaf spent a good amount of time explaining just how far they are exploring with these. Using cutting-edge materials technology to design drivers and enclosures. I've always liked VAF speakers and these did not disappoint.

- the Holton / SGR combo was great too. @Aussieamps and @125dBmonster were very knowledgable and great guys to have a beer with too. Stuart from SGR, as always modest and humble and happy to chat

- Halcro panels: . These are big (size and price!) and open and remind me why I love 'stats

Other highlights:

- The Devore Orangutans: I'm annoyed with Bill McLean :). These things sound really great. I was in the sweet spot and they didn't put a foot wrong. Great imaging and great tonal balance and they look the goods too. Overall probably the most involving sound at the show and the room I spent most time in - a joy to listen to.

- The crazy expensive Sennheiser setup. Something to be said for removing the room completely

Stuff that I didn't think was so great I'll not pass too much comment on because I know how hard it can be under show conditions. As an example, a couple of people felt the Avantgardes were not up to their full potential. I know how good these can sound - I own the previous model of the ones at the show (even in the same colour!) - they were good at the show, but get them in a bigger room where they can come out of the corners and they really shine: Happy to demonstrate for anyone who wants to drop in :) 

I'm sure I've forgotten to mention a few rooms so I'll add them later .

Overall a great show and a real credit to @Marc - well done again !

• Like 2
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, Monty said:

I was in Melbourne over the weekend, mostly catching up with family and friends, but I made a couple of short visits to the show. Not enough time to really do things justice. And my first time at a show, so there's a lot to take in and at times hard to know quite what to make of it. My favorite sounds were the Osborns and the active SGRs.

Now the long trip home.

I've heard the Osborns four times in a public setup where other gear has been on display and Greg's room is always a standout.

I remember  a member here commenting on the last hifi show and it was with a snigger that he noted that Greg was still running with the fact that the Sultan of Brunei had forgone a many thousand of dollar more exxy speaker and had gone with the Grand something or rathers. Why wouldn't you run with that as an advertising blurb if you could eh?

So many people have said that the Osborns are up there with their best memories of not just this show but shows past.

His Consonance gear and the glorious AM mono's are sheer statements and understated apart from the ridiculous Droplet, a mammoth thing that does it's job and does it well but those who have it seem to offload it just as quick.

But that's a side issue. Greg's speakers (pardon the pun) speak for themselves.

Tell me the last time you saw a pair for sale? A few imitators out there apparently in the home build department/bespoke design build but they inhabit an odd niche in the Oz HiFi scene. It's a case of of 'good old Greg ' and 'He always does a good stall'.

I think i'd absolutely love to have a set of his speakers. It's actually a subliminal thing and I'll look at speakers(any) and Osborns will float there in the back of my sensible mind.

Of course...anyone who knows me knows that sensible never ever ever enters the equation but..one day it will OK.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Misterioso said:

Pity, I missed this. Would have liked to hear this. [comparing Ortofon cartridges.  ]

It wasn't something which was featured.  They had one turntable, and I asked what it was and in the conversation the guy said that they had the cartridge range in headshells which could be interchanged.  The one which was playing was a MM, and I mentioned that I might be upgrading my MC soon.  He then compared a couple for me, and was extremely knowledgeable on the technical differences in the models, and was  honest in his appraisals.  It was evident that he loved records.  He offered to compare more, but the room was starting to fill again and I didn't want to monopolize the time with something the majority would be less likely to be interested in.  I was very impressed by the demo.  And I will add the cart's sounded quite nice as well. 

5 hours ago, frankn said:

I really enjoyed the Gauder Acoustik speakers. The JBLs sounded good - not the Everest’s the ones 2 sizes down  

I was very surprised at the baby Krix speakers. 

The small Krix impressed me the most I think. Big sound from small bookshelves, not the prettiest though IMO :)

I liked the small  Legend floorstander too, i wanted to hear their Joeys but they were not playing the 3 times I went into the room.

Just now, Sime said:

@Qwertyqaz yes, the only systems I actually liked were all playing vinyl. 

Seriously though get a decent MC setup and you will be amazed on the performance when compared to digital that it makes a lot of sense for critical listening.

If you are a music in the background kind of person then don’t bother with vinyl as the inflexibility of it all will be too much.

9 hours ago, Luc said:

I've heard the Osborns four times in a public setup where other gear has been on display and Greg's room is always a standout.

I remember  a member here commenting on the last hifi show and it was with a snigger that he noted that Greg was still running with the fact that the Sultan of Brunei had forgone a many thousand of dollar more exxy speaker and had gone with the Grand something or rathers. Why wouldn't you run with that as an advertising blurb if you could eh?

So many people have said that the Osborns are up there with their best memories of not just this show but shows past.

His Consonance gear and the glorious AM mono's are sheer statements and understated apart from the ridiculous Droplet, a mammoth thing that does it's job and does it well but those who have it seem to offload it just as quick.

But that's a side issue. Greg's speakers (pardon the pun) speak for themselves.

Tell me the last time you saw a pair for sale? A few imitators out there apparently in the home build department/bespoke design build but they inhabit an odd niche in the Oz HiFi scene. It's a case of of 'good old Greg ' and 'He always does a good stall'.

I think i'd absolutely love to have a set of his speakers. It's actually a subliminal thing and I'll look at speakers(any) and Osborns will float there in the back of my sensible mind.

Of course...anyone who knows me knows that sensible never ever ever enters the equation but..one day it will OK.

Hey I think that was me. Apparently the Sultana sold the Osbornes and got a Sonos system.:na:

Better start leaking out some photos

What a grand HiFi/AV Event, well done everyone, those that exhibited those that attended and huge thanks to the organisers who worked to make it happen, without them the show wouldn't happen

will edit this list with as I go, enjoy

IMG_2024.JPG

IMG_2028.JPG

IMG_2030.JPG

IMG_2036.JPG

IMG_2037.JPG

IMG_2035.JPG

IMG_2042.JPG

IMG_2044.JPG

IMG_2045.JPG

IMG_2051.JPG

IMG_2049.JPG

IMG_2054.JPG

IMG_2034.JPG

IMG_2035.JPG

IMG_2055.JPG

IMG_2061.JPG

IMG_2064.JPG

IMG_2066.JPG

IMG_2067.JPG

IMG_2072.JPG

IMG_2067.JPG

IMG_2071.JPG

Well, there you go, sadly didn't take many more photos as was busy with the JAVA, SGR Holton gofering about and being door Man.

My favourite speakers were the big JBL's, but the Halcro ESL's were sweet when they were running, sounding very similar to my ML CLS full range CLS's, just scaled up. Next year I'm going to drop into the Melody Display's CD player a Daft Punk TRON Soundtrack, as full on classical is just a bit much.

The Australian made SGR, Krix, VAF, Osborne,  Holton, Redgum,,,,,,,,,,,,Speakers/Hardware was on par with the rest of the best in the World for extraordinary finish and SQ and says to me we are there with the best, congratulations

Had a blast, will be back next year

Edited by Guest

My favourite rooms were the Synergy lot (McIntosh/Sonus Faber/Rega/Cambridge etc), but only 'cause Phil bought me lunch.  :)

It was cramped and hot as usual - I didn't like these rooms for an audio show last year, and certainly nothing changed this year. My opinion is the setup needs a re-think for Year 3. 

3 hours ago, Qwertyqaz said:

Seriously though get a decent MC setup and you will be amazed on the performance when compared to digital that it makes a lot of sense for critical listening.

If you are a music in the background kind of person then don’t bother with vinyl as the inflexibility of it all will be too much.

I agree with what you're saying but will add....you don't need just MC to beat digital. MM will do the job just fine. This is not dissing MC at all (I have both MM and MC), just saying that IMHO, analogue in a quality set up will usually beat digital for SQ.:thumb:

• Like 2

19 hours ago, mttel said:

To call someone a troll just because they choose to say they don’t like something is a bit harsh. I think I listen to a diverse range of music but I am pretty sure I could clear the room pretty quickly at most hifi shows with Daft Punk or many other EDM artist that I like to listen to.

To clarify: it's not disliking someone else's music that makes one a troll; it's ill-behaviour towards someone else because you don't like their music.

28 minutes ago, pass the bass said:

To clarify: it's not disliking someone else's music that makes one a troll; it's ill-behaviour towards someone else because you don't like their music.

Both you and mttel are sounding a tad childish now......move on kids.:thumb:

I forgot to take any photos but the Grandinote room was one of my highlights. Unbelievable sound from the 4 x4inch fullrange drivers per side and 1 tweeter a side with no crossover I believe. 

Pinched a pic off the net.

9DB1FAAF-7823-4CC7-A158-08AE359FF9B7.jpeg.84b05a8a8ff760557c757800758b4737.jpeg

• Like 1

From what I heard, the exhibitors who knew how to tune their gear to the room achieved better sound. It's not necessarily the case that more expensive, bigger components, louder volumes sounded better - in fact they often sounded distorted and boomy.

I liked best the setup with laptop/Chord Dave DAC/Karan amp/SGR passive floorstander (~$70K worth of gear) for its neutral and natural sound. It reminded me of the Bricasti Design exhibit from a previous year's hi-fi show.

• Like 1

Tend to agree with a lot of what @tellmidd said above. It's as if a lot of the Hi Fi manufacturers are not aware of the 'vinyl revival'. Sure FLAC's and other HD digital files sound excellent but there is a lot of analogue lovers out there now who don't care too much for digital source material.....and who may have been a tad disappointed with what was on offer. The music in the audition rooms could also improve. I've never heard so much jazz....more rock and the like please. I still had a good time and enjoyed the 'Record Fair' with a couple of excellent 2nd hand purchases but left a little underwhelmed from an analogue point of view.

Edited by stevoz

On 05/11/2017 at 3:09 PM, PleasantSounds said:

The first port of call for me was the Spatials, as they look stunning. Yet as much as I wanted to like them, I didn't. Was this the speakers, the amp, the room (although DEQX was helping a lot with that) or the choice of music - hard to tell. Sounded a bit shouty and lacked extension (both high and low), although the stereo imaging was pretty good.

I had high expectation for the Spatials too (well priced and great look), but unfortunately I shared the same feelings about how it sounds.

2 hours ago, tellmidd said:

Less mediocre or cliche music choices (DSOM, Dave Brubeck, Diana Krall and more rock, trance, garage, punk etc. People were hostile to suggestions beyond cliches. One guy thought a Beatles track and another thought a Pixies banger was too radical a departure from normal hi fi show pan pipe fare!!

I agree that the musical choices were poor, there was no music that inspired me or excited me. What's the point of having a great system that just sounds beige?

• Like 1