Sign in to follow this  
BruceS

Hi Fi Show 2017 Pics and Reviews..

Hi all. I went to the International Hi Fi Show with my brother yesterday and it was rather good. It's set up a bit like a rabbit warren and therefore, easy to forget which rooms you've been in. When I got home and checked the 'venue guide', I realised we'd missed a bit, including a lot of analogue gear. I mention this to qualify my claim for 'best speaker brand in show', ie: we didn't hear everything. We first went to the VAF room and heard the yet to be released 'Fantastico' range. They were very, very good and set 'a bar'. Then we found ourselves in the first of three SGR rooms, listening to the SGR DS2 bookshelf speakers, part of the first passive speaker range from SGR , the 'Discovery Series' (up until now, they have only made 'active' speakers). Well, the bar was well and truly raised.....and to be honest, was not equalled or surpassed, at least until we heard the SGR DS3 floorstanders and what I now know to be the MkII version of the SGR CX4F 'active' floorstanders. All of these speakers are 'gobsmackingly' brilliant! We did not hear better for the day. To quote myself from my post on the Product Reviews and Opinions 'SGR CX4F In Depth Speaker Review' thread by rippingdragon, so I don't have to rewrite it!, (with link below):

"So open while so emcompassing, every frequency impossible to fault, instrument separation like I've never heard before, the pure tight bass plumbing depths that had me searching for a sub that wasn't there, a perfect sonic balance". They were a complete 'jaw dropping' revelation and have reset my judgement of what is sonic perfection. The only brands that went close, to my ears anyway, were VAF (still excellent), Avantgarde Acoustic horns (also very good) and Monitor Audio (excellent). We left the JBL room underwhelmed.....Krix better as were Osborn's, but again, both left behind by the bar setting SGR's. If you have a chance to get to the show today or tomorrow, head straight for the SGR rooms but be warned, you may be disappointed with all the other speakers that follow. Maybe start elsewhere first, then be blown away by these Australian wonder speakers......:cool:  A triumph!!:)

Edited by stevoz

Any comments on small active wireless speakers like the Triangle LN01A? I'm interested in these for my living room.

IMG_2625.JPG

Antripodean & 125db Monster

IMG_2626.JPG

Anthony Holten, Rob 181 & Malcolm

IMG_2628.JPG

Riff Raff

Only one question?

59fd2d04590a5_IMG_2617_thumb_JPG_ad0c03cbc4d496e2c6e06536dd03f814-Copy.jpg.4a1c7f2a80b892a55dd87cbc1da0f514.jpg

WHAT ARE THOSE ?!!!!

Seriously what are those?

They look right up my alley ( though likely out of my price range)

And were these mystery speakers identified????? Did I guess right with VAF?

IMG_20171020_155952_thumb_jpg_d80156cd8beec476bbf9238191ba2824.jpg.e75477b6b0211a69fc71566d1f9b3035.jpg

27 minutes ago, joz said:

IMG_2625.JPG

Antripodean & 125db MonsterIMG_2626.JPG

Anthony Hilton, Rob 181 & Malcolm

IMG_2628.JPG

Riff Raff

IMG_2629.JPG

Wow, strange things happen, or have I been missing stuff.

@Rob181 is a Holton fan

@darren69 with a coffee

Not met some of the guys so whi is there apart from @darren69 and @evilc

1 minute ago, Xsile said:
40 minutes ago, jamiebosco said:
Model/name? Or just a prototype?

Krix esoterix altum, $6,500 without stands

Cheers. They are stunning!

I just home from the show. Hands down the most boring music being played in most rooms. White man blues. Terrible. 

Edited by campo007

1 hour ago, campo007 said:

I just home from the show. Hands down the most boring music being played in most rooms. White man blues. Terrible. 

Last year I got tired of hearing soft jazz.  Would have enjoyed hearing some music with bite.  Some variation for the range of tastes.  To hear how the equipment can handle different styles of music.  Still, I'm still looking forward to my visit tomorrow, I can manage white man blues in moderation (depending on the artist). 

1 hour ago, campo007 said:

Ask them to play something different - most rooms are happy to oblige.

Had a good time at the show this year. Wish I had budget to buy some new toys....

For me the standouts were

- Legend Audio/Deqx system combo (best in show imo)

- Hulgich audio

- Avantegardes

- Krix horn bookshelves

- Spatial

- Sonus Faber/Macintosh combo

2 minutes ago, buddyev said:

Ask them to play something different - most rooms are happy to oblige.

Asked one rep, "got  War on Drugs' latest album....nup, never heard of 'em.  Ahh, Dead can Dance...... nah, don't know 'em.... I just walked away.

6 minutes ago, mattd2308 said:

Asked one rep, "got  War on Drugs' latest album....nup, never heard of 'em.  Ahh, Dead can Dance...... nah, don't know 'em.... I just walked away.

A tip, when going to a show: take your own music on cd and usb. 

The benefits are that you can evaluate the systems with music you know.

It is impossible for the suppliers to have all music ever produced to play to visitors.

The participants will have the music they believe is the best for their system - it is up to you to have the things you like.

19 minutes ago, mattd2308 said:

As much as we all have our own musical tastes, it is worth realising that not everybody knows your music. I am sure that you have music that I have not heard of and vice versa so as @Jventer says...........byo:)

I brought my own music on USB yesterday and most of them say yes when I asked to play it.

Went today and the main standout for me was the Krix MX-30 setup. Michael played 2 movie scenes for me and it just blew me away, effortless engulfing sound. Very impressed. For 2 channel I really liked the SGR setup very precise and clear, also one of the first rooms you see/hear with the JBL Everests I think their called powered by some beautiful tube amps was very impressive.

Edited by SimonNo10

This setup is the pick for me so far

The Spatial speakers are different and strongly suggest ppl check it out. Bill knows his stuff. Great talker

b9ddb158454cb3ef25d3613bae293a57.jpg

Yeah, I went there to listen to the M3s especially, very nice but some sibilance in the HFs put me off. Won’t be trading my Maggie 1.7is anytime soon.

56 minutes ago, Jventer said:

A tip, when going to a show: take your own music on cd and usb. 

The benefits are that you can evaluate the systems with music you know.

It is impossible for the suppliers to have all music ever produced to play to visitors.

The participants will have the music they believe is the best for their system - it is up to you to have the things you like.

Agree, normally I would have, my own fault. My point being that he had never heard of them.  Not here to slag, but couldn't believe the response at the time. 

26 minutes ago, mattd2308 said:

Agree, normally I would have, my own fault. My point being that he had never heard of them.  Not here to slag, but couldn't believe the response at the time. 

Thanks for the reply - I have also learned the hard way

Maybe the lesson is that if you don't take your own music and have a request, start by asking by broad genre and then narrow down, eg.

Visitor:  "Do you have any rap music?".

Demonstrator: "Yes, but only a few albums including some hiphop, a lot of people don't like it so I tend to focus on music that offends the least"

Visitor: "Great, any NewYork 80's rap?" 

Demonstrator: "No, but I do have ..... band from the 90's that sounds good, can I play that for you?

Visitor:  "That would be appreciated, as it's more my style.  Would you happen to have ... album by that band?"

...and so on.