Hi Fi Show 2017 Pics and Reviews..

2 hours ago, Qwertyqaz said:

This just shows we all have different tastes, I for one found the SGR floorstanders too mid bass heavy.

Strange that it sounded that way.  I have a pair of these at home and they're very well balanced speakers.  I would attribute this to its interaction within the room, having encountered this issue with my previous house listening area.  The CX4's have a level of tweakability to accomodate for such a situation :)

• Like 4

3 hours ago, BruceS said:

A reflection based on an incident at the show.

It was late on Friday and I had been making the rounds with my three acappella CDs.

Went into a room which had only one visitor.

Went up to the guy running the room and asked if I could play a track from my aceppella CD.

That visitor got up and walked out saying that he did not like that kind of music.

While the CD was getting organised more people came into the room.

At the end of the track one of the visitors came up to take a photo of the CD so that he could buy it.

Goes to show that we all have different tastes!

And what a good thing that is!!!!!!

Bruce

Just as there are trolls on internet forums, there are equivalent music trolls at hi-fi shows. These people are intolerant of music other than their own, and what's more, they are discourteous and don't realise their music often has the same adverse effect on others. One of the things I enjoy about hi-fi shows is discovering new music. Of course, I also hear music I do not like, but I always respect other people's choices, I at least listen to it before I judge, and put up with it or leave the room quietly. I commend exhibitors who facilitate attendees' request to play they have brought themselves.

• Like 3

Stumbled into this room today and got the perfect hangover cure involving beer and 100dB Pink Floyd! My favourite room of the show weekend!

36BF04DD-120E-4550-91F6-D2BA0E27B991.thumb.jpeg.93eb6ee5a14a19d75f80d096fd0a469e.jpeg1F2D41A6-8E80-4A6A-A589-AA6867EACCF5.thumb.jpeg.0c18ffdde73cb088f59b63c6c277ac63.jpeg

Good to see the Spatials getting an airing I'd of liked to have had a listen to how Bill had them set up.

The show looks like last years but I'll assume it was better this time round as Marc's got the experience of one under his belt to make the second one better.

The pics have been great and I saw a lot of familiar faces and some less so.

Those Melody's...aren't they big suckers. Anyone bought a pair yet?

Ok the actives,interesting I found them very evenly balanced. I'm a big fan of them, I actually thought that others may find them a little neutral.
Which my taste leans toward.
The passives IMO to me had me thinking they were a bit heavy in the bass probably due to the room size.
Yes tastes!
I agree. They were well balanced imo and until I heard the Halcro I thought they were the best speakers I'd heard. Vaf and halcro were just amazing.

On the Skybus heading to Tullamarine. I really enjoyed the JBL 4367's but couldn't say I had a favourite room, just lots of different flavours. Was a great time and one couldn't hope to meet a nicer group of people. Thanks for the memories all. Daz 

• Like 5

As I'm in the market for a pair of mains, the show was a great opportunity to see what's out there. 

The first port of call for me was the Spatials, as they look stunning. Yet as much as I wanted to like them, I didn't. Was this the speakers, the amp, the room (although DEQX was helping a lot with that) or the choice of music - hard to tell. Sounded a bit shouty and lacked extension (both high and low), although the stereo imaging was pretty good.

Then I popped in the Sonic Purity room where a pair of Gauder Akustik speakers were doing a wonderful job - and so they should considering the price tag! 

The Krix wall of sound looked impressive, but sounded a bit below expectations. Somewhat boomy bass and unrefined mids - expected a bit more from a setup that had "no compromise" written all over it.

The Hulgich Audio setup sounded really good, and I'm not the first one to say that!

What really grabbed me, and quite unexpectedly at that, were the Devialet Phantoms. They look like toys, but the sound they deliver is really what I want from speakers: dynamic, detailed and well extended. Quite pricey, but then again it's much more realistic than the Melody setup - both in terms of price and the space required.

Kudos to @Marc for pulling together so much interesting stuff in one place at one time!

14 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

On the Skybus heading to Tullamarine. I really enjoyed the JBL 4367's but couldn't say I had a favourite room, just lots of different flavours. Was a great time and one couldn't hope to meet a nicer group of people. Thanks for the memories all. Daz 

Have a good trip back home Daz.

Was great to have you and all the rest of the interstaters down here for the show !! :) 

• Like 3

On 11/4/2017 at 10:40 AM, Darren69 said:

Cannot believe the bass and quality sound filling this room. Went looking for subs, found none.

IMG_0148.thumb.JPG.e60c5caa55ff17ba9ae3dccd0d8d1700.JPG

IMG_0149.thumb.JPG.f4781a1ac4dd719659bf757c93f6754a.JPG

The bass was truly phenomenal from these modest looking units!! Mind boggling really......:thumb:

• Like 1

21 hours ago, KeithL said:

Had a good time at the show this year. Wish I had budget to buy some new toys....

For me the standouts were

- Legend Audio/Deqx system combo (best in show imo)

- Hulgich audio

- Avantegardes

- Krix horn bookshelves

- Spatial

- Sonus Faber/Macintosh combo

You obviously didn't venture into the SGR rooms then.........:cool:

• Like 1

Guest Misterioso

Another speaker I liked a lot was the Legend Kama Monitor. They worked better in these smallish rooms than many much more expensive speakers.

No problems Jventer

The CDs are: REUNION, The Lost Album, track 6, 'I Don't Want To Go Home'.

Five part harmony, very prominent bass singer and a very powerful lead vocalist.

Think it might be a bit hard to get as it did not show up on some of the show room's internet connections.

KENNY VANCE and the Planotones, Acapella, track 11, 'Please Be My Love Tonight'.

Four part harmony and includes Kenny Vance singing both tenor and high tenor/falsetto at different times during the song.

Think it is pretty readily available - you can also get it on Kenny Vance's website.

PENTATONIX PENTATONIX Deluxe Edition, track 11, 'Take Me Home'.

Five part harmony which includes a female.

Extremely well recorded, probably real demo quality.

Think it is very readily available.

Quite a few of the stands people took a strong interest in these CDs.

They are an extreme test of the speaker's mid range.

Had all the people walk out of one room because their speakers sounded so bad!!

Some of the big name speakers just could not cope - and that does not relate to price. 

One guy, early Friday put me off when he heard that I wanted to play aceppella music.

'Come back later in the day when we are not busy.'

Came back later in the day when there was no one in his room.

'Can't play your track because I have people coming later'!!!!!!!

That guy was as transparent as glass - he certainly knew his speakers could not cope with mid range but they were quite OK with bland jazz!!!

If you wanted you could go through the show with those or equivalent mid range testers and grade the speakers!!

I couldn't be bothered - that's not why I go to a HiFi show!

The Halcros were just glorious, but mid range is an electrostat's strong point, but, for example the speakers in the Redgum/Legend room coped extremely well, and they are certainly not expensive!!!

Must say that I am constantly surprised how poor the mid range is is some speakers.

Hope that helps.

Bruce

Edited by BruceS
Left out the album title silly me
  • Like 1

Might take the opportunity to comment about the willingness to play a visitor's CD tracks.

Most of the rooms were extremely accomodating.

But some were not.

Two different rooms had the exact same (poor) attitude.

'We only play from our server'.

There was no polite smile on their faces.

In fact I felt these people were looking down their noses at me!!!!!

I even told one of these rooms who knocked me back that I also had my tracks on a memory stick but it made no difference!!

The word that came to me at the time, and it has not left me since, was arrogance!!

Didn't spend long in those rooms but I did stay for their presentation and was not impressed.

And these people were not the 'little boys'!!!

Let me tell a story that illustrates the exact opposite.

Went into a room early on Friday.

Asked them to play my CDs.

Guy told me that they used some internet interface for their music.

He told me the internet was not good but he would rip my CDs, do the internet stuff overnight, and I could listen on the Saturday.

Talk about making an effort for the visitors.

But there is more to this story.

When I went back the next day.

Would you believe that this guy told me that he got a CD player overnight so that they could play the visitor's CDs!!!!

Guess this is all a comment on human nature, and, more narrowly on businesses.

I posted above about the rooms that made visitors feel welcome.

Hey, I spent a lot of time in those rooms that made me feel welcome.

And,

It is very likely that I will buy products from a number of those rooms!!

Bruce

• Like 2

Hulgich Room was the standout for me.  Beautiful sounds from the Ella MkII and the Serendade's.  Sadly didn't get to hear the Maestro's, I love to hear impressions of others who did.

Australian companies were well represented by Redgum, Legend, SGR and Hulgich to same just a few.  Really enjoyed the walk around.  Well done to the organisers.  Lots of options to mull over.

Cheers

• Like 1