Big Dog RJ

Melbourne In't Hi Fi show

Admin

Interesting thread and far, far more discussion on this show in various places around the internet not only on our first show, but compared to all out Aussie shows. Why? Because this one was busy and every single exhibitor is thrilled with not only the turnout, but also the genuine levels of interest shown in their brands and products.

Even today I'm getting reports of follow up deals and sales as a result of the show from quite a few exhibitors.

With that many people and so much hype though, also comes mixed opinions. I'm well aware you can't please everyone and while I take all feedback on board, I use my gut and my head to act upon some of the advice and criticism that is received. Show #2 far outclassed Show #1. Show #3 is looking to be our biggest yet.

The funny thing I have noticed though, is that where one person suggests not enough turntables, another says "too many turntables". Where one says the show is hard to navigate, others say it was really easy and compliments to the organisers. The fact is, the show is generating chatter and no matter which way you look at it, I think that's a good thing.

The 2017 Show was very successful on all fronts and we managed to bring an almost entirely new audience into a HiFi show. You can't cater for everyone, and it's no secret that if I was trying to cater to any particular audience, it was actually the first timers. You guys already buy HiFi, in most cases you know what you want/need, or use these forums for that advice.

One would like to think that as we grow the Shows in Australia, one day we may have the "Home Entertainment Show", and a seperate, "High End Show". Sadly, I don't believe, at least right now, the show would be well enough supported to justify the enormous costs and investment incurred to do such a show by the organisers and the exhibitors.

On 11/7/2017 at 10:28 PM, Keith_W said:

As for the parking ... my parking for the venue came up to $32. That's more than what I paid for the ticket itself. 

When you consider some interstaters also had to pay for flights, hotel room, meals, taxi rides ... the price of the ticket seems quite cheap. And let's not forget, the show itself is the main attraction yet comprises a small % of the cost of attending. 

In other words, there are quite a few third parties who are probably realizing a greater economic benefit from the hifi show than Marc himself or the hifi distributors who turned up.

Not a complaint, just an observation.

Just a response - Saturday and Sunday is free parking all around the venue and the lake. By comparison, 5 hours at another show in the city last year cost me $132.00 for parking -  I posted the pic of the ticket receipt somewhere else on the forums at the time.

Finally, thank you to all of you who have supported our own StereoNET Show. It went from strength to strength in 2018.

• Ticketing issues from 2017 were resolved with a convenient barcode scanning system we developed in house - this paid off.
  • Food options from 2017 was one of the biggest complaints - I believe we solved that this year.
  • Bar wasn't open early enough last year - we resolved that.
  • Coffee queues were too big last year - I believe we solved that with both the bar and the cafe serving coffee this year, along with the bar opening earlier and the cafe staying open later.

As for brands, type of year etc being displayed - this is almost entirely out of our hands.

As for room acoustics, it can work. There are many examples made by others in this (and other) threads outlining those rooms that sounded good. Room Acoustics can be treated and some did. The results pay off for them. Blaming the room or the room construction is an excuse made by those who did not spend the time setting up and tweaking their system (or the positioning/orientation of their system), or treating their rooms. Did anyone notice the 6 x mattresses Krix strategically placed around their room? (they covered them with black table cloths).

We're already working on 2018 and I am personally very excited by the prospects. We've already reserved another entire level for exhibitors, testament to the growth potential I believe this show has.

5 hours ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

Sorry mate it was my poor attempt at humour. 

I've heard both the Krix and the illuminators and I'm surprised joz said he preferred the krix ...

All lies, don't believe them!

15 hours ago, Kaynin said:

That's very true.  Although, I was very surprised when we were in the Krix room and you turned to me and said "They're better than my Illuminators". 

LOL!

Cheeky bugga!

2 hours ago, Hensa said:

Having heard both the big Krix’s and Joe’s Illuminators, albeit in completely different listening environments, I think Joe may have been having a lend! I don’t the Krix’s could touch the Illuminators. Too bright and forward in the Show environment IMHO.

Thanks I agree :thumb:

12 minutes ago, joz said:

LOL!

Cheeky bugga!

Okay, okay, maybe that's not exactly how the conversation went, but who cares for details???  :lol:

5 hours ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

I've heard both the Krix and the illuminators and I'm surprised joz said he preferred the krix ...

3 hours ago, Hensa said:

Having heard both the big Krix’s and Joe’s Illuminators, albeit in completely different listening environments, I think Joe may have been having a lend!

I tell you what, no flies on you guys...that's for sure!

Hi Guys

I really enjoyed my time at the show this year. My standout in the headphone category were obviously the Sennheiser He-1 Headphones which blew my mind away but they are way too much for me to justify :lol:. The other standout had to be the Purasound (www.purasound.com.au) room, the Grandinote Mach 4 speakers pushed out amazingly crisp natural sound. 

I forgot to take a picture but this is a great recording I found of the setup we saw at the show. This was one of the songs demoed to me and others while we were listening. 

Take a listen ( I personally really like the look of the black speakers, the ones on show were silver I believe they are all aluminium). 

I liked these so much that I have actually contacted the guy that's selling these after the show. Hopefully I can save some money over the next few months to upgrade to this setup :party.

Also thought people might like to see some other information about the brand many of us have not heard of. 

Here is a great link to some reviews also these amps seem to be making a very strong name for themselves in europe:

www.grandinote.it/reviews%20-%20en.html

Cheers to everyone i met there and I look forward to attending next year. 

ATTN: to all moderators / administrators and content in charge: (Marc- Admin)

There is a person by the name of Jono, who claims that my remarks on my initial post were very malicious. Trevor had also commented this via phone to me last week, and I followed this up with a sincere apology and a modification of my post with a re-vised post that seemed to be a more appropriate view of the show. I also admitted to my remarks and therefore I had made that apology sincerely to all fellow members.

However, it seems that this is not good enough, hence the statements made by Jono on WBF- as noted below:

Yes your comments were grossly out of line and insensitive to all those involved .It is almost like you are trying to get this show to fail through using ridiculous,unfair and distorted information to denigrate it.Indeed it could be seen as malicious damage.
If you really want to make amends you should delete your negative comments and let the moderators clean up the threads accordingly.Both here and on Steronet.

Therefore, could you kindly delete my original post including the statement of apology that continued after. I think it would be better to deleted all posts I've made, because some may get confused as to why I am apologizing...

If Jono here has any better ideas, please advise and follow his instructions, thank you and again terribly sorry for upsetting the apple cart.

RJ

Admin

I don't know Jono (or if he's a member here), and any comments made on another website are not really an issue for me/StereoNET.

I believe you're entitled to your opinion, positive or negative.

Personally, I felt it was very unbalanced, at least initially, but isn't discussion and debate what forums are for?

I'm happy leave it as is, and have no interest in what goes on on other forums.

Personal opinions are just that.

Others disagree and debate.

We all learn something.

Moving forward, one thing the original post highlights is the difficulty for local manufacturers to compete with international brands / reputations, despite sonic merit.

G'day Marc,

yes, understand your point. However, I have made certain remarks about the show on my initial post, perhaps you missed it... This was the first post on the thread that was started by me on that Sunday. So it seems that I upset a LOT of people here in Melb and others in general. I thought people here were a bit more tough than that... perhaps not.

Subsequently I also got a call from another member, Trevor, who also said the same thing, and I was at work at the time.

During my break, I sat down and wrote a sincere apology to all members, and titled it as "sincerely apology...".

I had also made that same post of Whats Best Forum, and posted the same apology on that as well.

You see Marc, I am as transparent as the Martin Logan CLX's! and to some that may see very offensive. According to Jono, I made malicious statements to the effect where I wanted the show to fail! I do not have "ego" or any of that sort. So it seems like those wanting me to make further "amends" even after I have posted an official statement of apology just isn't good enough.

Therefore, I respect your final decision as the Admin person in charge, and if you feel no harm intended, so be it. If you feel that my original post should be deleted, please proceed.

Thanks mate, and I did like the show overall, my second post with my apology statements explains that very clearly!

Cheers, RJ

You're in a democracy BigDog - your opinion is valid, even if it is agreed to by no-one.

You upset some people - that happens.

I actually thought you were quite balanced and even if I don't agree, I defend your right to say it without being racist or sexist.

I'd say *own* your opinions, and move on.

On 14/11/2017 at 3:44 PM, Intercept said:

Hi Guys

I really enjoyed my time at the show this year. My standout in the headphone category were obviously the Sennheiser He-1 Headphones which blew my mind away but they are way too much for me to justify :lol:. The other standout had to be the Purasound (www.purasound.com.au) room, the Grandinote Mach 4 speakers pushed out amazingly crisp natural sound. 

I forgot to take a picture but this is a great recording I found of the setup we saw at the show. This was one of the songs demoed to me and others while we were listening. 

Take a listen ( I personally really like the look of the black speakers, the ones on show were silver I believe they are all aluminium). 

I liked these so much that I have actually contacted the guy that's selling these after the show. Hopefully I can save some money over the next few months to upgrade to this setup :party.

Also thought people might like to see some other information about the brand many of us have not heard of. 

Here is a great link to some reviews also these amps seem to be making a very strong name for themselves in europe:

www.grandinote.it/reviews%20-%20en.html

Cheers to everyone i met there and I look forward to attending next year. 

I believe we are the only two that loved the grandinote over the rest at the show.

Photo I took :)

703A5F00-E891-42E3-BF6D-52A225EF609F.jpeg

thanks for that note Candyflip,

jeez mate, believe me, the last thing I want is to cause drama about this show, especially in Melb where I happen to live!

like I said, I am as transparent as the Martin Logan panels- you can see right through them...

I do respect the feedback given by Trevor and Jono, hence the first thing I did. I was managing the store that day when Trev called me, I was extremely busy with various customer issues and it was a hot day. Water melons needed to be cut, customers were complaining there was not enough $6.00 water slabs, other Aussie customer were having a go at the Chinese people who are buying baby formula in bulk, leaving them without any... there was mayhem in the deli area where customers wanted free roast chickens due to being passed a certain time, all sorts of demands, plus not to mentioned a refrigeration issue in the freezer section of ice creams, where there was a leak... and then Trev calls me and says that I have upset some people on the forum...?

So instead of taking my usual break and having my meal, which I didn't, I sat down and wrote a sincere apology to all members on Stereonet and WBF, posted both at the same time. I received positive feedback and thought we can move one, but after nearly a week, Jono brings it up again and here we go...

I respect what Marc says, and if he feels that my post/s should be deleted, so be it! If he also feels that my membership should be cancelled, so be it! I will certainly respect that, I have nothing to fear and nothing to lose, only to gain and speaking of gain, I would like to share something which might interest many.

Marc replied, as noted above, basically explaining what he feels and thinks, which doesn't seem to offend or deter him one bit! so what's all the huff about?

I also addressed this issue on WBF and asked the moderators to take action against me, not even a reply, other than a private message requesting to please keep up the honest work, ok.

Like I said for the hundreth time, I will make it a point to be very clear and fair in my statements and will think first before I write something. At one point I felt that I was in Nth Korea, and received a call from Kim Jon Un/IL or whatever that maniac's name is... but no this is Australia and 21st century and moving on... we even won the vote for same gender marriage! why does it seem like some members are still in that communist era?

Anyway, enough said, and do let me know if there is anything I need to do further, thanks,

RJ

*ON a positive note*

During the show and the many rooms I visited, I noticed apart from the room issues, there were other minor issues to equipment vibration. The Sonus Faber/McIntosh room had used a highly specialized rack/shelves that did cost quite a bit, around $600 per shelve. Total number of shelves used that day 4 = $2400, plus this is their basic version. Which means the actual shelves used on that day were around $800 to $900 each, which totals close to 4 grand.

These shelves made a huge difference, as there was absolutely no vibration! Nothing at all, I ran my fingers, knuckles all round the edges, nothing, pure vibration free. Now these Safarino SF speakers being driven with a Mac MC452 (the most powerful stereo amp that Mac builds) was driving the SF's effortlessly, the room did shake violently but not the rack equipment nor gear.

I also spoke at great length to the chap there and compared prices and other forms of strategies to cater to vibration control within reasonable budgets. He then asked me what I was currently using- Auralex virabration Isotone pads under each component, and Nordost Sort Kones on top. Each piece of gear rests on top of the Nordost Sort Kones. Each component them sits on glass shelves, and is arranged horizontally, located side by side not in a "rack" format.

This is what he told me:

1. Excellent way to set up, especially glass shelves as they vibrate! I didn't know this and when I got home, I ran my fingers around the glass and yes, they do vibrate! even at low volumes.

2. If I can afford it, these highly specialized wooden shelves with separate alloy struts and carbon alloy spikes would be best, however the way I have set up with Auralex and Sort Kones is one of the best alternatives keeping the cost down.

3. He advised that I make sure every component is on Sort Kones and not just the SACD player or TT for example, i.e. not just the source equipment but also the front end (preamp) and back end (power amp).

And so, this arvo, I went to my trusted Conrad Johnson dealer mate, Damien who runs Sound Reference in Smith St, and bought more of these Sort Kones by Nordost. Noe nearly all the components are resting on something and not just directly on the glass shelves. The Auralex was purchased from Electric Factory, located in Preston and were around $190 each. They can take upto 20kg of weight and do a marvelous job of vibration isolation. Each Nordost Sort Kone is about $200, and so three kones would do placed in a "triangle" format under each component.

Results- the Auralex isolation pads together with the Sort Kones is a remarkable vibration isolation solution, and one of the best solutions I have ever tried to date! Without having to spend a fortune on expensive exotic racks. Of course as I said, if you can afford it, go for it! Items such as Still-points, and exotic spikes and pointy things would be fine, high-end racks and shelves could cost close to 12 to 15 grand just for certain models, depending on number of shelves required. Again this is not necessary and you don't have to spend large amounts to get there.

Sonic improvements- although the dynamics, expansive staging, accurate imaging and scale is all there, the most critical areas of improvement were: inner details and noise floor. Inner details are much finer now, every minute detail comes out more clearer, I can now hear the variations in all bass lines and not just bass. There is virtually no overhang whatsoever, start/stop speed and acceleration are clear as a whistle. The noise floor is greatly reduced, allowing more of the music to flow through. This is just marvelous indeed!

Whether this type of spend seems like value for money, I cannot comment for all but to me it was certainly justified rather than spending 4 grand plus to upgrade the shelves. I am sure there are other DIY projects and rig that would take care of vibration control/isolation. I also feel that as long as you have at least 3 Sort Kones sitting flat & holding your gear, this should be more than adequate for that finer detail and finesse in sound.

Thanks to the show, I learned about the rooms and this vibration issue. Now that I currently live in a shoebox, moving to a much larger space when the house is done next year, will not only further improve the vibration aspects but also will take the level of noise floor and other factors to a whole new level of "Zero". Hence, I should get more of the music to flow at greater speed and transient control with a larger space allowing the system to breathe.

That's about it for now, thought I'd just share this for those who are using glass shelves...

Cheers, RJ

7 hours ago, candyflip said:

You're in a democracy BigDog - your opinion is valid, even if it is agreed to by no-one.

You upset some people - that happens.

I actually thought you were quite balanced and even if I don't agree, I defend your right to say it without being racist or sexist.

I'd say *own* your opinions, and move on.

I agree wholeheartedly.

7 hours ago, Qwertyqaz said:

I believe we are the only two that loved the grandinote over the rest at the show.

Me too mate. :wub:

I mentioned them in another thread.

18 hours ago, Qwertyqaz said:

11 hours ago, Pops110 said:

Me too mate. :wub:

I mentioned them in another thread.

Same here, loved the fast, dynamic sound these speakers put out. Cost a fine penny, but certainly sounded nice.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.