Axis ls38?

I picked up some axis speakers cheap today. Im wondering if they are the ls38s? Comparing them to my yamaha ns500s they are a slight improvement.  Maybe a little boomy. They are sitting flat on hardwood would getting feet help? They are rear ported too. 

20171105_155343.jpg

20171105_155255.jpg

20171105_155239.jpg

Edited by Austy
Moar photo

They are 38's . Retailed for around a grand in 95. Would benefit from some form of spiking. They might have spike inserts already in the base of the speaker plinth.

I'm very familiar with the LS38 and they improve enormously when spiked.  If standing them on a wooden floor, place the spiked speakers on a solid base plate, such as sandstone or concrete.  You can put rubber feet under the base plate to avoid scratching the floor.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi Austy. 

Not sure if you still have the LS38’s... but you should be spiking or decoupling your speakers in any scenario as preciously mentioned. I have tried both extensively owning these for 22years..(bought them from Cliff at Audio Synergy in Perth)

Best result I found (and also the most expensive I might add) is definitely decoupling with IsoAcoustics ISO 200 stands.. this reduces that resonant boominess, removes some mid range smear and just opens them up as far as sound stage separation. I was super sceptical at first after using spikes for eons, decoupling is a very different approach..but one Im sticking with. Enjoy 

7E72C829-AA02-4C7E-ACAF-AD9385CE3E89.jpeg