Magnepans in Melbourne/Victoria?

11 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

:offtopic:  :P

It's one of those glorified,  highly trendy, very expensive high tech Dyson blower.

its what I called a heater or cooling fan.  :D

Right, thanks, I did wonder! Have seen them before but not that style/shape, was wondering if it was some kind of device that spreads nano particles in the room to assist with the sound dispersion.

Glad it is just a fan :thumb:

Nice system btw OP

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, swervyn said:

Right, thanks, I did wonder! Have seen them before but not that style/shape, was wondering if it was some kind of device that spreads nano particles in the room to assist with the sound dispersion.

Glad it is just a fan :thumb:

Nice system btw OP

Thanks. This room gets mighty hot thanks to the amp and friends so I need some extra ventilation compared to the rest of the house in summer. I chose that crazy overpriced Dyson fan because it has wildly varying fanspeeds of 1-10 and 1 is enough to create a gentle breeze and not make too much sound to interfere with my listening pleasure ;)

I'm gonna crash this thread and ask if anyone has 1.7's/3.7's or similar in South East QLD to listen to? I've only heard 1 set of full range ribbons which I loved, but at 10 times the cost of the 3.7's so i'm not sure what to expect particularly bass-wise from them

12 minutes ago, Gremrock said:

I'm gonna crash this thread and ask if anyone has 1.7's/3.7's or similar in South East QLD to listen to? I've only heard 1 set of full range ribbons which I loved, but at 10 times the cost of the 3.7's so i'm not sure what to expect particularly bass-wise from them

If only you were here in Melbourne...

then You'll be able to sample the SQ of the 1.7 vs the Trevor Lee ribbons integrated with 4   11" Eton drivers.

and a Behringer 3031A with a dual purpose topler :D

IMG_1469.JPG

IMG_1470.JPG

Edited by Addicted to music
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ghost4man said:

@Addicted to music

Going off the weights in the photo - how much are you benching brother :)

:offtopic::D

i dont bench bro!  I'm toooooo friggin old for that! 

thats total 17.5kg and I  pull and push on each arm   every morning after a 2.5km run b4 work @ 5:00 am.

I had back issues many moons ago and it's possible becuase I kneel down on the floor  for work.   Every 12mths we go through the same OHS manual handling with an ex chiro.   His runs through the reason how Mother Nature design our backs and then explains how when you are asked to see a chiro it's too late!  So the idea is set yourself up proactively to minimised these issues.  You are only allowed a max of 15kg at work!   And some of the stuff is way over 35-40kg requiring a 2 man lift.  The idea is to warm up b4 I go to work!   And the trick is to keep moving the entire range of what your limbs can go, and doing back excercise that he recommends and keep active to encourages blood flow to ALL sections of the body!  Staying active and getting the blood to flow encourages oxygen and it's oxygen that the body needs to repairs damages.

Now I don't experience back pains!  And if I do, it's not for long! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2017 at 8:51 AM, Gremrock said:

Hiya mate,

I have a pair of 1.7's that you can have a listen to.

I'm in the Tweed Heads area so if you are down this way just give me a call on 0459 921201 and hop in for a listen.

• 6 months later...

Hey sorry I forgot about this thread shortly after I posted that haha, not sure if I’ll be heading your way any time soon, but will let you know how if I manage to. Really I’d be wanting 3.7is if I go Maggie’s. But they can only be better than 1.7s you’d think :)

@Ittaku I realise this is a fairly old thread.

One point you make that seems to have been missed is that you fondly remember being moved by a pair of Apogee speakers. Have you listened to the Reference series of Ambience ribbon speakers? A former Apogee and current Avant Garde owner feels they combine aspects of both. I am amazed by their performance. The latest Reference 1800 has active bass bins and I have heard the ribbons sounding sublime with a big VTL amplifier. My guess is they would marry very well with your ARC amps. Fantastic imaging, detail to die for,width, depth and dynamics. Better still a short drive to Lakes Enterance for a demo.

• Like 1

Thanks. I did hear modified maggies with ribbons in the end. Apart from the sweet sound of the ribbons and the ethereal nature of the stage that appears from panels, there are aspects to the panel sound that just doesn't agree with me. I've since made my next generation of speakers and am very happy with their balance, but appreciate the suggestions.

Interesting about the Ambience. I haven’t heard Tony’s relatively new reference range. I did however recently sell a pair of 1600 Super Slim ribbon hybrids and replaced them with Magnepan MG3.7i. I have been lusting after Magnepan speakers for nearly 40 years and couldn’t resist the opportunity. My Ambience were great, I had them for a long time, but, the 3.7i’s are something else again.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
Guest Gary janezic
On 04/11/2017 at 6:32 PM, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

@generichs has that model. If you ask nicely he may let you have a listen

On 05/11/2017 at 8:18 AM, Ittaku said:

Sounds like I need to hear yours then. My current system includes a sub so I'm no stranger to them. What do you cross your subs over at?

Hi.i am seriously thinking of buying the 30.7s and would like to hear your 20.7s.would I be able to come and have an audition.if I buy 30.7s you are most welcome to listen to them at my place.you can come and listen to my reference system as well.i am in Melbourne Epping. Thanks regards gary 0434115815.

Edited by Gary janezic
Phone number

1 hour ago, Gary janezic said:

Hi.i am seriously thinking of buying the 30.7s and would like to hear your 20.7s.would I be able to come and have an audition.if I buy 30.7s you are most welcome to listen to them at my place.you can come and listen to my reference system as well.i am in Melbourne Epping. Thanks regards gary 0434115815.

Hi Gary. I did not buy magnepans in the end, preferring to make my own dynamic driver based open baffle design.

Guest Gary janezic

Hi con ok I fort you owned a pair I must have got mixed up I’m new to stereonet.thats a  good idea but I wouldn’t have a clue how to make them. Enjoy gary 

11 minutes ago, Gary janezic said:

Hi con ok I fort you owned a pair I must have got mixed up I’m new to stereonet.thats a  good idea but I wouldn’t have a clue how to make them. Enjoy gary 

That's okay. I might start production of my speakers next year if everything goes well.

@Gary janezic

i notice you’re in Melb.  I don’t own a pair of 20.7 but a 1.7.    The 1.7 are here in the classified.   I have DIY ribbons that are 1.8 mtrs high with Eton 11” drivers.  These are driven by Sander Preamp and the Sander Magtech.  So you have 2 sets of speakers, both very different to listen to.  If you’re interested PM me so you can have a listen to both.  No sales pressure,  it’s just so you can have a listen b4 you decide.  Then go and have a listen to some of the others here with Maggie set up set up is a must me think.   

• 1 month later...
On 05/11/2017 at 7:16 AM, andyr said:

Yes, there is a lot of bad press around - due to people not doing the right thing, IMO.

If you heard my system ... you wouldn't be able to tell the subs were on - you'd think the Maggies were able to go down to 16Hz!  The secret of matching subs, IMO is:

1. using 2 subs.
  2. using sealed subs.
  3. using DSP to delay the mains to match the subs.
  4. rolling off the mains to match the sub LP filter.

Andy

Hey Andy,

This is EXACTLY what I do with my Maggies too!  Perfect bliss once this is done.  Great minds think alike! :-)

I have one sub under the sofa in approximately the front back centre of the listening area, and the other in a sort of corner nearer one of the mains.   With multiple subs, walking around the room when there is thumping repeating Pop genre bass and the issue of some spots being bassy and others lacking disappears. 

Then there's the source.  BBC dramas are a dark horse 'best'. We were watching a show where an object falls off the fireplace mantle, or a door slams, and it startles the life out everyone watching.  It is THAT real. Until you can experience that, what people call HiFi is but just a pretence.  

And it doesn't matter what Maggie. I've had the honor of having the chance to play with several different ones. Even their smallest 'full-range' MMGs with their super excellent transient response will bring such realism to your system when paired with a pair of non-mirrored powered subs when PROPERLY CONFIGURED (ie. the DSP delay, etc) will bring you to true sound reproduction like no other system ever - cross over from subs to mains at 60Hz. A super duper power amplifier is not required. Really!  Why doubt when it is so easy to try out? Even the baseline Denon AVR X1500 (don't get the lower models they don't do DSP as well) will bring out the essence that is in your recordings like no other system.

Tip: With the Denon AVRs make sure you turn OFF their Dynamic Loudness and Dynamic EQ functions (unless you truly understand how they're meant to work you'll do more 'harm' than good).

• Like 1

This gives me hope now of not having to get a power amp. I have 2 subs, antimode dsp, Integra 60.6. Looking to replace richter wizards 4 with a magneplan hopefully the 1.7 but only a small so the MMGs maybe enough. 

Edited by powerav

35 minutes ago, skris88 said:

Hey Andy,

This is EXACTLY what I do with my Maggies too!  Perfect bliss once this is done.  Great minds think alike! :-)

I have one sub under the sofa in approximately the front back centre of the listening area, and the other in a sort of corner nearer one of the mains.   With multiple subs, walking around the room when there is thumping repeating Pop genre bass and the issue of some spots being bassy and others lacking disappears. 

And it doesn't matter what Maggie. I've had the honor of having the chance to play with several different ones. Even their smallest 'full-range' MMGs with their super excellent transient response will bring such realism to your system when paired with a pair of non-mirrored powered subs when PROPERLY CONFIGURED (ie. the DSP delay, etc)

Good to hear, skris88!  :thumb:

I'm interested to know how you went about getting the correct DSP delay.  By all means PM me if you don't want to expose yourself on this thread - because, I suggest, whatever method you used ... someone will disagree with!  :lol:

Andy

• Like 1