Greetings from Melbourne hifi lover

Ittaku

Hi, I just joined though I've been into hifi audio for 30 years now. I have a strange mishmash of (scanspeak driver) home made speakers that I spent a lot of time and love into designing, sourcing components and putting together, a dspeaker dual core acting as my dac/preamp/room correction, an SVS sb13 ultra sub, an Audio Research Reference 150 SE power amp, WyWires interconnects and speaker cables, and I use my PC to stream all highres digital audio, mostly classical to it. I have hundreds of CDs that virtually never get used now because of that. It was a tough decision many years ago whether to go predominantly digital or analog and while I probably initially chose wrong given how bad digital was back then, I'm much happier these days with what high quality digital has to offer today and how much it's matured since. I have a swag of other equipment that never gets used any more either. I'll probably get around to selling some of the unused stuff sooner or later, having recently retired my much loved Audio Research Classic 60 amp that I used for 25 years.

31 minutes ago, realysm42 said:

Welcome.

Interesting looking system you have there!

Thanks! Here's a summary of the speaker design I posted in another thread:

These are a custom design I made myself using 2x6.5" scanspeak poly woofers and a 3/4" dome fabric scanspeak tweeter (as used in proac designs). The box is custom made with a 2 inch baffle composed of 2 different density particle boards to cancel out each others' resonance. The tweeters are time aligned. The box internally is actually 3 enclosures - 2 asymmetrical mirror image 83mm ported boxes for each woofer and a base that is filled with sand. The internal wiring is litz 2x24 strand throughout. The crossover is a 2800Hz 12dB hard wired design with only one component in the series signal path made with Multicap polystyrene capacitors, 12gauge solo inductors and mills resistors. The wiring goes to 2 sets of cardas rhodium binding posts at the rear for biwiring. I chose the drivers based on extensive auditioning at the time. -3B point on the woofers was 28Hz. The tweeter on the right looks damaged but it's just the dispersion surround that was damaged by removalists many years ago. The sub is an SVS SB13 ultra that is crossed over at 31Hz 24dB. Room correction and effective balancing of the woofer to subwoofer is done with the DSpeaker dual core giving -6dB point at 16Hz.

2 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

Thanks! Here's a summary of the speaker design I posted in another thread:

-3db at 28hz; that's impressive frequency response, especially for such 'small' drivers. Very similar to mine in that respect.

Sounds like lots of work went into them, are you happy with them?

Just now, realysm42 said:

-3db at 28hz; that's impressive frequency response, especially for such 'small' drivers. Very similar to mine in that respect.

Sounds like lots of work went into them, are you happy with them?

Yes I'm extremely happy still today, but hifi has changed since I designed and built them 24 years ago. I'm planning an update shortly with a very similar design but with the latest drivers from scanspeak - 1" beryllium dome tweeter, and 2 of the sandwiched paper 6.5" cone woofers.

• 5 months later...

Amazingly someone recently read my post. Well the hifi doesn't look anything like this any more :)

There's now my completely custom open baffle speakers with all new scanspeak drivers. Alas I still haven't found someone suitable to make a high quality baffle the way I want it. Cabling is as you can see XLO reference shotgun cables.

IMG_20180505_130102.thumb.jpg.a904ae1396efaf1de0ac6e02e86e7d37.jpg

Amplification is this duo of ARC Reference 250SE monoblocks:

yrI1vMl.jpg

The DAC has grown up to its bigger brother, the reference X4 DAC/DSP from dspeaker. The subwoofer grew up too, to the SB16ultra.

IMG_20180505_130326.thumb.jpg.1d68fc6f5ae6d1d87def51c0a1e18cce.jpg

And I added this for preamplification, a Supratek Dual Cabernet, very custom made into a true 4 channel preamp by Mick since it goes post DSP/crossover:

w0wbJDC.jpg

There's also a sequenced power interface cleaning power, and a linear power supply fed USB repeater dissociating any noise from the PC.

IMG_20180505_132646.thumb.jpg.2e9494fb150b05188c8d081d40710db6.jpg

Edited by Ittaku

9 minutes ago, Keith_W said:

Very nice! You should consider starting up a system thread in the Showcase instead of updating your welcome post :)

Not a bad idea at all. I only updated it because someone liked my earlier post :)