Sign in to follow this  
Baldrick35

Centre Speaker - set to large or small?

Hi all,

I have a Marantz SR5009 receiver running a set of Arron speaker - ATS-5s at the front, SS-120 rears and CC-120 centre. The receiver asks you to set the speakers to either 'large' or 'small', which I gather is pretty much what they all do these days. I've got the fronts as large, the rears as small.

Question is - what's the best option for the CC-120 centre? Doesn't exactly seem small to me, but neither would I expect it to be large? There's a set of specs here if that helps - https://www.avconcept.com.au/av-concepts-products-toowoomba/for-the-home/speakers/other-speakers/aaron-cc120/

And I guess I'm curious about whether there's a general rule to follow for this setting? How do you decide what's large and what's small?

Thanks for your tips!

Cam

Always set Mains, Centre and Rears to "SMALL"

This should ensure that bass management in your AVR will send signals 80HZ and below to your subwoofer.

EVERYTHING will sound clearly better to you this way.

If you don't have a sub???...........GET ONE!!!!!!!!!!!

(and rerun Audyssey Room EQ!!!!)

Edited by JohnL

1 minute ago, JohnL said:

OR TWO!!!!!!!!!

1 minute ago, JohnL said:

Hmmmm, it seems you've immediately spotted part of my dilema - no sub :) I've resisted the sub as I always feel it's a bit unneccesary when the fronts and cente do a decent amount of bass, particularly in a smallish room. But maybe I need to revisit this idea.

That said, I see you're suggesting small for the Mains (fronts?) - I thought it was normal to set these to large if you've got decent sized floor standing speakers?

Thanks for your thouhts!

If you have no sub then set mains to large and center to large or if you want center bass to go to mains set center to small.

Just now, Baldrick35 said:

Hmmmm, it seems you've immediately spotted part of my dilema - no sub :) I've resisted the sub as I always feel it's a bit unneccesary when the fronts and cente do a decent amount of bass, particularly in a smallish room. But maybe I need to revisit this idea.

That said, I see you're suggesting small for the Mains (fronts?) - I thought it was normal to set these to large if you've got decent sized floor standing speakers?

Thanks for your thouhts!

My high end Mains have 9 inch bass drivers

STILL sound better as "small"

Don't make the mistake of equating regular stereo practices to HT....................different fish

Trust me............adding a minimum 10" sub (or 2) will totally transform your entire HT experience.

Edited by JohnL

12 minutes ago, JohnL said:

My high end Mains have 9 inch bass drivers

STILL sound better as "small"

Don't make the mistake of equating regular stereo practices to HT....................different fish

Trust me............adding a minimum 10" sub (or 2) will totally transform your entire HT experience.

Righto, seems I need to do some investigating then! Thanks for your help John!

set all to large.

the least amount of bass management the better !

1 hour ago, Baldrick35 said:

Righto, seems I need to do some investigating then! Thanks for your help John!

if wanting to stick with aarons, look out for their subs they made which were pretty decent for the money. do tend to come up 2nd hand now and then too. 

check this out only $110 ! 

I know 709 only quotes pick up only. but might be convinced to ship :D  and still be a massive bargain ! 

I agree with the previous posts, get a sub ASAP. As the CC-120 only has 5" woofers I'd suggest setting the Centre and Surrounds as Small with an 80hz crossover. The larger ATS5's should be ok run as Large till a sub turns up

think you will find 709 replaced the 120 sub with 2x 240 subs. as you do not indicate room size i will guess is a medium size ie 5mx4m? the aaron 120 sub should be used in a pair.. you also dont indicate the avr used as to if it can actually set up 2 subs (not just an internal y splitter with 2 sub outs)

i had the ats5 fronts and yes if you have no sub now you can try them as "large" with the centre as "small". yes bass is non directional and setting at 80hz is right but placement is also important. i tried the ats5 without a sub (i also had the bigger 240 centre) and in my room it was rubbish. if you watch movies get 2 subs.. 10" will do but 12" is the sweet spot.

Guest VladimirFreddie

FWIW My main speakers measure down to 20hz (-2db)in room and I still have them set to small and crossed over @ 80hz for movies.  I have two subs.

There is more slam, headroom, sounds more live & no doubt has less distortion when using the subs.

Edited by VladimirFreddie

21 hours ago, Baldrick35 said:

Hmmmm, it seems you've immediately spotted part of my dilema - no sub

Then you will need to set your speakers to large.

For other situations, what to do depends heavily on the details - and there is no universal answer like many suggest....   and it can get quite complicated.

As mentioned it depends on your room size and sub settup as too whether you set the ats5s to large or small Baldrick . If no sub set to large as the ats5's dual woofers manage 28hz- 28khz which is considerably better than thx's 80hz ; 

your cc manages 65hz-23khz so small is ok as mentioned . When you get a sub or 2 you can take some of the stress of your L/R's midrange and bass drivers and let the sub handle that as well as low pass redirected frequencies from your cc and surround speakers :)

http://www.aaronhifi.com.au/Post-2008-Product-Listing.pdf