Byron Bay Bluesfest 2018

Ananth

Anyone headed to the Bluesfest next year? It's over the Easter weekend, 29 Mar - 2 Apr

I'm looking forward to Chic, Gov't Mule, Morcheeba, Dumpstaphunk, Robert Plant, Walter Trout, Youssou N'Dour, Jackson Browne and a whole bunch of others...

https://www.bluesfest.com.au/schedule/?DayID=113

I'm hoping they announce the Tedeschi Trucks Band as well, among others. I'd love it if Joe Henry came back this year as well... 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ananth said:

Anyone headed to the Bluesfest next year? It's over the Easter weekend, 29 Mar - 2 Apr

I'm looking forward to Chic, Gov't Mule, Morcheeba, Dumpstaphunk, Robert Plant, Walter Trout, Youssou N'Dour, Jackson Browne and a whole bunch of others...

https://www.bluesfest.com.au/schedule/?DayID=113

I'm hoping they announce the Tedeschi Trucks Band as well, among others. I'd love it if Joe Henry came back this year as well... 

wow ! that is a truly amazing line up ? how on earth do they pull all these amazing artists ? 

< wow ! that is a truly amazing line up ? how on earth do they pull all these amazing artists ? >

promotor has plenty of cash!

many of the acts also play other states, mostly Sydney and Melbourne

Robert Plant dates:

http://themusic.com.au/news/all/2017/10/17/robert-plants-2018-aussie-gigs-are-the-closest-well-get-to-a-led-zeppelin-reunion/

< The revered frontman is set to hit the country next year with his band The Sensastional Space Shifters in support of Bluesfest 2018 and some newly-announced sideshows in what will be Zeppelin's 50th anniversary since their first-ever performance, but in a new interview, Plant says there are no plans for the iconic rockers to reunite. 

Speaking with the Telegraph (via NME), the 69-year-old singer said there is little chance Zeppelin will ever reform again. 

"You can't ever really go back. It's tough enough repeating yourself with something that’s a year old, never mind 49 years old," he said.

"I've got to keep moving."

Plant has confirmed however that he will perform some of Zeppelin's biggest hits during the Australian tour to celebrate the 50th anniversary. >

Blues and Roots fest more rock than anything else these days. Attended in 2004, had an amazing lineup including

https://www.bluesfest.com.au/pages/?ParentPageID=2&PageID=55

James Brown

Femi Kuti (Afrobeat star blew an ageing James Brown into the weeds!)

Solomon Burke (soul legend)

Burning Spear (real deal reggae)

Toots and the Maytals (verging on cabaret reggae)

Pharoah Sanders (absolute jazz legend!)

Dr John (the original gris gris man from Noo Orlins!)

Taj Mahal

regards Ian

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Not to mention Steve Earle and Richard Thompson

butthe most amazing thing I heard that year was Solomon Burke from the back of the tent late at night the largest human being I have ever seen with one of the most beautiful voices I have ever heard even though he was an old man at that time

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ian McP said:

< wow ! that is a truly amazing line up ? how on earth do they pull all these amazing artists ? >

promotor has plenty of cash!

many of the acts also play other states, mostly Sydney and Melbourne

Robert Plant dates:

http://themusic.com.au/news/all/2017/10/17/robert-plants-2018-aussie-gigs-are-the-closest-well-get-to-a-led-zeppelin-reunion/

< The revered frontman is set to hit the country next year with his band The Sensastional Space Shifters in support of Bluesfest 2018 and some newly-announced sideshows in what will be Zeppelin's 50th anniversary since their first-ever performance, but in a new interview, Plant says there are no plans for the iconic rockers to reunite. 

Speaking with the Telegraph (via NME), the 69-year-old singer said there is little chance Zeppelin will ever reform again. 

"You can't ever really go back. It's tough enough repeating yourself with something that’s a year old, never mind 49 years old," he said.

"I've got to keep moving."

Plant has confirmed however that he will perform some of Zeppelin's biggest hits during the Australian tour to celebrate the 50th anniversary. >

Blues and Roots fest more rock than anything else these days. Attended in 2004, had an amazing lineup including

https://www.bluesfest.com.au/pages/?ParentPageID=2&PageID=55

James Brown

Femi Kuti (Afrobeat star blew an ageing James Brown into the weeds!)

Solomon Burke (soul legend)

Burning Spear (real deal reggae)

Toots and the Maytals (verging on cabaret reggae)

Pharoah Sanders (absolute jazz legend!)

Dr John (the original gris gris man from Noo Orlins!)

Taj Mahal

regards Ian

That's quite a lineup! Wish I'd been there. I love Solomon Burke... His is one of those voices (Richie Havens was another) that could read a telephone directory and sound good. 

The first one I went to was last year, I enjoyed watching many of the acts :

Tedeschi Trucks Band, Steve Earle, Jackson Browne, Rhiannon Giddens, Taj Mahal, Robert Randolph, Eagles of Death Metal, Kamasi Washington, St. Paul and the Broken Bones, Con Brio.... I'm sure I'm forgetting to mention some bands. :)

The tyranny of distance: Oz is so far away, when you have the opportunity you grab it! I was lucky to spend Fri and Sun  at the North Sea Jazz Festival in Rotterdam last July. (Sat sold out, no problem wandered around Rotterdam seeing the sights)

Jazz, rock, funk and more, check the lineup!

http://www.northseajazz.com/en/program/2017/

Spoilt for choice! Saw Grace Jones (she's still got it!) Chick Corea, Maceo Parker, Cinematic Orchestra, Kamasai Washington, Prince's New Power Generation, Dhaffer Youssef, Matthew Herbert's Brexit Orchestra, Koffie and Donny McClassin band (sax on last Bowie album)

Watch out for sideshows from Byron and Womadelaide touring other major cities, a few announced already.

regards Ian

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Ian McP said:

Spoilt for choice! Saw Grace Jones (she's still got it!) Chick Corea, Maceo Parker, Cinematic Orchestra, Kamasai Washington, Prince's New Power Generation, Dhaffer Youssef, Matthew Herbert's Brexit Orchestra, Koffie and Donny McClassin band (sax on last Bowie album)

Watch out for sideshows from Byron and Womadelaide touring other major cities, a few announced already.

regards Ian

Woah, what a lineup! I'd love to do North Sea Jazz sometime...

2 hours ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

Bluesfest has an amazing lineup, but as always, I struggle to see how most of the acts are considered "blues"

Sir Zing of The Ling. It started out like a lot things here in the Rainbow Country, in the Alternative Lifestyle Country(before it became trendy), in the Byron coolest of cool country, in the Far North Coast zeitgeist central....it was a good idea and then the money men realised they could make serious money out of it and it's now completely diverged from the original  Blues festival and is now a music festival with a captive audience who are afforded the chance to buy overpriced 'local' foods and very expensive crap beers and wine in plastic cups from tanker sized barrels.

You do get to see some very good artists though and also a lot of dross. If your able to stay awake till 9pm each night after spending the day there with your expensive full ticket then you may see one of the big name acts perform and that is a real hit+miss format, more like a lottery and quite often not worth the wait. By that I mean their performance.

Blues? Nuh. Not anymore. 

Guest Muon N'

Thank ...'insert deity of choice'... It's no longer in the heart of Byron, i lived in BB when it was down on the way to Suffolk and as a local it was something to fear, drunks wandering in through ya' front door at times if you lived on Jonson street.

Grinch.jpg.7949d26f8793140b98b5af616e9023bc.jpg

Agree that has gone commercial and lost It's original identity. But I regret Byron Bay Itself is no longer what it was once.

Good for those that enjoy it though, more power to them :cool:

Edited by Muon N'

10 hours ago, Noum said:

Thank ...'insert deity of choice'... It's no longer in the heart of Byron, i lived in BB when it was down on the way to Suffolk and as a local it was something to fear, drunks wandering in through ya' front door at times if you lived on Jonson street.

Grinch.jpg.7949d26f8793140b98b5af616e9023bc.jpg

Agree that has gone commercial and lost It's original identity. But I regret Byron Bay Itself is no longer what it was once.

Good for those that enjoy it though, more power to them :cool:

You can't stop progress and BB has tried through several councils over the last few decades to do just that and they've been partially successful but it's certainly not the counter culture centre of the 70's&80's and it's a tourist 'mecca' now and a victim of it's  perceived reputation.

As anyone will know if they've ever sat on Ewingsdale Rd for an hour or more in bumper to bumper traffic trying to get into town. It's a truly awful experience Byron Bay at peak hour and that bottleneck needs little traffic to clog it up.

But having said all that though, the 'Bluesfest' is still worth going to if you get the weather and the programme right as you wont get too many opportunities to see such a wide array of known and unknown talent. It's a very long day though if you go from start to finish. 

The Blues Fest has turned into a monster since it's humble beginnings in 1990 that's for sure, I've been to many over the years and those first 3 at the old Piggery (Arts Factory) were rippers, here's a little clip I made from the very first one 1990 with The Paladins 

• Like 1

Guest Muon N'

@Luc  Totally agree with what you posted, I got out of there before the complete madness when there was still a sense of a on and off tourist season, but even at that time it was just getting to be too much. I have looked at the place only via street view since and It's strange looking at it now.

Edited by Muon N'
typo

You guys have missed one of the best.................Eric Gales.......... back for the 2nd year.    I swapped some emails with his manager and he informs me there will be no sideshows this year.    The Australian promoter wants to bring him back in 2019 for the BBBF and a full tour.

Hopefully, Walter Trout might do some sideshows. :wub:

Regards Cazzesman

23 hours ago, Noum said:

@Luc  Totally agree with what you posted, I got out of there before the complete madness when there was still a sense of a on and off tourist season, but even at that time it was just getting to be too much. I have looked at the place only via street view since and It's strange looking at it now.

Yes you hit the nail on the head; there is no on or off tourist season now. With backpackers all year round and airbnb and the new freeway and then the dreaded schoolies week and constant ribbon develpoment nibbling away at the edges and surrounding districts(just look at Suffolk and Lennox)it is no longer what it was.

*The Piggery. What a place it was. Mid week international artists with little fanfare(Rick Wakeman on a Thu night...woeful but at least we saw him perform close up. An unannounced Joe Walsh on guitar in a Oz group I can't remember).

The good ole days eh!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2017 at 10:34 AM, cazzesman said:

You guys have missed one of the best.................Eric Gales.......... back for the 2nd year.    I swapped some emails with his manager and he informs me there will be no sideshows this year.    The Australian promoter wants to bring him back in 2019 for the BBBF and a full tour.

Hopefully, Walter Trout might do some sideshows. :wub:

Regards Cazzesman

Walter now announced at the Corner Hotel In Richmond.  :wub::wub::party

Perfect!!!!   Tickets on sale Friday.

Tuesday Gov't Mule at the Corner.  Thursday Walter.  Great week of tunes. :party

Regards Cazzesman

Walter Trout is great, he first came to my attention with John Mayall's Blues Breakers 1985 I think, saw a few gigs and this feller could play alright, then with Canned Heat a few years later, then he had his own band and played at The Byron Bay Blues Fest 1994, I'd love to see him again next year, powerful vocals and guitar!!

• Like 1

I've had the great pleasure of being there for the last 2 events.

See here https://orlandosydney.com/2017/blues-fest-2017-byron-bay-northern-nsw/ and https://orlandosydney.com/2016/music-photography-blues-fest-2016-part-1-byron-bay/ 
Mick Fleetwood was fantastic 
The_Mick_Fleetwood_Blues_Band_feat_Rick_

Hope to get a shoot up there again but won't know for sometime