Sign in to follow this  
nmathavan

Transformer humming noise Luxman 590ax

Hi fellows

I need some help to figure out why I am getting transformer ‘hum’from my Luxman 590ax amp.

I purchased it nearly a year ago and paired it with Luxman D06u SACD Player/dac and driving Opera Grand Callas speakers . All my system power go through PSAudio P10 power plant.

Initially I didn’t get any noticeable hum with amp but in last few months I can notice a ‘hum’ from my amp.

I am not hearing any noise from speakers only from amp and I can feel some fine vibration when I touch the top panel of amp.

I couldn’t figure out why it’s happening? . is that a normal issue for this particular amp on long run ? Or something needed to look in for a service?

Thanks for your time and any valuable advice will be appreciated

Regards

Matt

12 minutes ago, nmathavan said:

Hi fellows

I need some help to figure out why I am getting transformer ‘hum’from my Luxman 590ax amp.

I purchased it nearly a year ago and paired it with Luxman D06u SACD Player/dac and driving Opera Grand Callas speakers . All my system power go through PSAudio P10 power plant.

Possibly, the transformer is humming because of DC on the mains?

Initially I didn’t get any noticeable hum with amp but in last few months I can notice a ‘hum’ from my amp.

Something might've changed in the vicinity of your house - like, a neighbour fitting a solar-power array with a DC inverter - so you have DC on the line now ... whereas you didn't have it, before?

I am not hearing any noise from speakers only from amp and I can feel some fine vibration when I touch the top panel of amp.

I couldn’t figure out why it’s happening? . is that a normal issue for this particular amp on long run ? Or something needed to look in for a service?

Thanks for your time and any valuable advice will be appreciated

Regards

Matt

Hi Thanks for your reply
I already got a solar panels at my place which were installed nearly 3 yrs ago . So if that’s a issue then I should have that problem before as well?
I am using power generator P10 in my system so I hoped that would cancel any dc voltage in my line .
Regards
Matt

Maybe the hum was there before but its just become more obvious now, for whatever reason.

If DC-related, see if you can borrow an IsoTek Synchro cable from your nearest reputable dealer, try it straight into the Luxman from the wall, if it works, try it as your cable from the wall to the P10.

Lovely A Class amp you have

The big E Type Transformer may and I say may be starting to loosen up a tiny bit, nothing to worry about. The low hum may be attributed to a fairly solid load (biased hard on P and N FET Array) constantly on the transformer lots of heat and it's laminations chattering a little.

As I said, nothing to worry about.

Good luck

@ Happy -Yes it dose hum without anything connected .
@ 125dBmonster
Is there any diy to fix it or just ignore it and Get some more volume with amp ? Anyway that’s what I am doing at this stage . Will any vibration dampers will help ?

18 hours ago, nmathavan said:

@ Happy -Yes it dose hum without anything connected .
@ 125dBmonster
Is there any diy to fix it or just ignore it and Get some more volume with amp ? Anyway that’s what I am doing at this stage . Will any vibration dampers will help ?

Well, no not really

Replacement might be worse (seen that happen for myself, most annoying)

Have Transformer re varnish dipped and cooked at a motor rewinding shop, sometimes works

The most drastic and not recommended, strike removed and disconnected transformer  core with a flat faced hammer a few times to try get the laminations  to not rattle,  in an effort to shut the jolly thing up

All 3 of above, rinse and repeat

See nothing to worry about :thumb:, turn up the volume a smidge so it blends in to the music