Kamasi Washington to play at Womadelaide 2018

t_mike

I assume Adrian Sherwood will playing one of the late night DJ sets. As much as I admire Kamasi Washington

(especially re Run Home on The Epic) I wasn't that impressed with him and group at North Sea Jazz Festival, Rotterdam, last July.

Mr Savona's Havana Meets Kingston should be excellent as his band includes Sly and Robbie!

Tinariwen (seen at previous Womads) are well worth catching! Watch out for Bixiga 70.

Waiting eagerly for second lineup announcement late Nov. There's always an act you've never heard of that will take you by surprise.

regards Ian

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/02/2018 at 10:39 PM, emesbee said:

I'll be there again (of course).

Fairly keen to see Rodrigo y Gabriela, Anoushka Shankar, Elephant Sessions, Le Vent du Nord, Noura Mint Seymali, Tinariwen, Violons Barbares...... and more.

1 was good, 2 so so, 3 excellent, 4 excellent, 5 missed, 6 ok, 7 great .... and lots more. Having a chill Monday, lots less ppl today but still great. Currently listening to Tex and the band for a change of pace after La Vent du Nord. 

A fully fab festival. Thievery Corporation was just such a brilliant conclusion. Havana Meets Kingston was a triumph. Sly n Robbie on the one drop[emoji5]. Kamasi the great jazz tyro was awesome. Thunderstruck by Thundercat. Danced my little booty off for four days.

Thundercat was amazing, and fast! Great jazz fusion funk, however you categorise it. Can't say that Thievery Corporation did much for me though, seemed a bit so-so after Thundercat. Just not my thing I guess. The final performance of Gratte Ciel 'Place des Anges' was a fitting and spectacular finale. I love the way the performers mixed in with the crowd at the end. Then they formed a conga line and headed up to the main stage where they continued dancing and all took a bow to the crowd. (I'm still finding feathers in strange places this morning.)

• Like 1

Regarding Thundercat, I assume that was a 6 string bass guitar he was playing? I have seen 5 string bass guitars, but its the first time I've seen a 6 string (displaying my lack of knowledge a bit here).

I also noticed the boys from Elephant Sessions in the crowd just in front of me at Thundercat. Seemed to be enjoying themselves, taking in the vibes.