Cheeky's front room - new system unit.

Just peeked in on this, nice one Keith, all looks very proper and usable.

Couldn't have happened to a nicer feller.

Enjoy.

Thanks for the kind words Tony, it does look a lot better than the dog's breakfast I had before mate.

Nice looking cabinet, Keith.

Always good to have custom made furniture that fits into your requirement. More room for a few more turntables perhaps?

Thanks James, no more turntables planned anytime in the near future though!:)

Keith that is a beautiful piece of furniture.

Thanks mate, it does fit well and Uneke did a superb job with it.

Cheers,

Keith

Looks good CB and I'm sure it sounds even better.

Nice work!

Also, have you noticed how much more attractive the room is without happy_pants' bonce in the foreground?
Oi!

I resemble that remark! :)

I suppose you do resemble that remark Mr Happy Duds, which means the picture was either Jasper's or yours Chookman!:nana

I think it sounds good Joz but it's always evolving and for me it shows the influence one's tastes in music and listening habits have over the gear you own.:)

Cheers,

Keith

I was going to say comes with matching speakers and TT, but to late.

My entertainment unit is also Jarrah, looks and feels superb (although rather dear!). Well done it looks great. :nana

You should now have another get together!!!

Dirty.

I was going to say comes with matching speakers and TT, but to late.

My entertainment unit is also Jarrah, looks and feels superb (although rather dear!). Well done it looks great. :nana

You should now have another get together!!!

Dirty.

Hi Dirty, I agree the Jarrah is not the cheapest finish but I started it with the loudspeakers and then followed with the turntable plinth, so I was pretty locked in from that point. I had a fairly large GTG a short time back now and had the Bear and Chickenman around last Sunday arvo, so nothing planned in the immediate future. You're more than welcome to visit should you find that yourself out here in the wild west at anytime mate, just drop me a PM.

Cheers,

Keith

Great room, great decor, great cabinet, great gear! What else can I say?

Oh yeah, the Consanance Droplet is making me give my Saturn a look that I'm sure is making my Saturn feel a bit nervous. I'd better stop it.

Though, I'd love someone to make a comparison.

Excellent Keith

That CD player (assuming it is a CD player) looks seriously impressive! What is it?! ..... ie what brand/name

Paul, the CDP is a Consanance Droplet 5.0............very nice player and does everything I want from a digital source.

Great room, great decor, great cabinet, great gear! What else can I say?

Oh yeah, the Consanance Droplet is making me give my Saturn a look that I'm sure is making my Saturn feel a bit nervous. I'd better stop it.

Though, I'd love someone to make a comparison.

Excellent Keith

Thanks for the kind words Rantz. I really like the Droplet but I still have my 14 year old Arcam Alpha 5 Plus, so I have a soft spot for Arcam players as I do for Rega TTs still. I heard the Saturn at Audio Trends a couple of years ago and was very impressed with it.

Cheers,

Keith

Edited by cheekyboy

The unit was custom made for me by Uneke furniture up in the ACT and many thanks to Dan for his consultation and advice and for delivery

That looks really good. Can you give an idea of cost? I need something similar made up but don't want to harass them if its out of my budget.

Thank you Keith for the gtg yesterday , the cabinet looks great what impressesd me and my brother the most was the speakers for their size the are great i would recomend these speakers to anyone who wants to build a high end small speaker .

Again Keith thank you a great afternoon .

Thank you Keith for the gtg yesterday , the cabinet looks great what impressesd me and my brother the most was the speakers for their size the are great i would recomend these speakers to anyone who wants to build a high end small speaker .

Again Keith thank you a great afternoon .

Thanks Reinhart, it was a pleasure having you and Gunter around yesterday and a special thanks for the introduction to the new music you and Gunter brought with you. I agree with you about the speakers too and as I've said many times before here, I think they are about the best bang for buck in a loudspeaker out there and if anyone wants a truly high end DIY standmount or floorstander for a relatively minimal outlay, you simply can't go past them.

Cheers,

Keith

• 4 months later...

Hi Keith,

congrats for your new shelf unit. Looks solid & professionally build. This maybe the wrong question to ask but how much is it to get something like this custom build? As I need a rack myself, this may be a way to get something sooner.

Also, is it made from solid wood or veneer?

I was thinking of having aluminium angles (60mmx60mmx3mm) with solid wooden shelves. Can you see anything wrong with this design?

Excuse my ignorance, but why are you still using tapes? I thought this technology has been extinct decades ago?

You'd be surprised :P

they said vinyl was dead about 15 years ago as well

Yes, I agree although I have no TT myself. I have heard the difference between vinyl and CD by listening to the same album. Whilst the CD sounded great, I did got goosebums when I played the vinyl.

Ideally, I would have a TT at some stage but that would limit me in a way as not all of my music is available on vinyl and I could imagine that I may not enjoy listen to CD's anymore.

Back to the tapes, are these the tapes we had 20 years ago or has technology evolved since? Where would you see the quality of tapes compared to CD and vinyl?

Hi Keith,

congrats for your new shelf unit. Looks solid & professionally build. This maybe the wrong question to ask but how much is it to get something like this custom build? As I need a rack myself, this may be a way to get something sooner.

Also, is it made from solid wood or veneer?

I was thinking of having aluminium angles (60mmx60mmx3mm) with solid wooden shelves. Can you see anything wrong with this design?

Excuse my ignorance, but why are you still using tapes? I thought this technology has been extinct decades ago?

Hi Marty, you could give Dan a call at Uneke Furniture [dannopower here on SNA] and I'm sure he'll give you a price to custom make whatever you want. It's no good talking dollars as a custom made piece will be different for each design and the material used etc. You could also ask for a price from Aslan [Andrew] here on SNA for the same thing. Andrew is in the west of Sydney, so may be close to you.

My cassette deck is around 20 years old and was about my third or fourth player and the last one I bought. I like to use it infrequently just to keep the mechanism from deteriorating, but I really don't play cassettes that much. Some of the metal tapes I have do have pretty good dynamics, but realistically, they are not as good as CD and certainly not as good as vinyl...........which was back in the early '70s my main reason for owning a cassette deck.

Cheers,

Keith

Edited by cheekyboy

Nice new cabinet and great setup Keith.

On a small topic, one the photos the alignment of the tweeter and the woofer look offset. I assume that this is done to time-align the tweeters to the woofer. I haven't checked my references but doesn't the tweeter need to be offset further away from the listener than the woofer, ie, the tweeters need to be on the outside not set between the woofers in the stereo pair. If I was to walk into the room without knowing anything about your system (I don't) then I would say that you have your left and right speakers the wrong way around. Was this intentional?