Furutech’s NCF Booster

On 11/3/2017 at 1:24 PM, Eggcup The Daft said:

It supposedly eliminates static. Where is that static coming from, though? Does that static affect the sound? Remember, the cable is held in place and "optimally aligned" already. It's off the floor. So that static comes either from the surrounding air (possible, but it should be treated using a humidifier in that case) or the equipment (bad equipment?).

@guru

The static comes from small children in sandshoes shuffling about on nylon carpet .......... simply eliminate them and you can save heaps ........ :)

5 hours ago, Cafad said:

True, so it's an order of magnitude less "Nano" than Nano² is but it still has more marketing cred than poor Atto.

Just to be pedantic. Nano2 is just Nano squared. Not Nano^10. That would be an order of magnitude.

Still, this is a bit like discussing which deck chair has the best view on the Titanic. 

7 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Just to be pedantic. Nano2 is just Nano squared. Not Nano^10. That would be an order of magnitude.

Still, this is a bit like discussing which deck chair has the best view on the Titanic. 

Aren't there 9 orders of magnitude between nano and atto?  (atto being nano squared)

I'll have the chair by the bar if it isn't taken already.

Guest vagabond
18 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Just to be even more pedantic, nano² is nine orders of magnitude different to nano.

Guest Eggcup The Daft
14 minutes ago, Cafad said:

Aren't there 9 orders of magnitude between nano and atto?  (atto being nano squared)

I'll have the chair by the bar if it isn't taken already.

The chair by the lifeboats would be a more pragmatic choice.

On a different ship.

Guest Eggcup The Daft
17 hours ago, Krispy Audio said:

But it's not Nano², it's Nano.

Thanks for clearing that one up at least. So it is Nano Crystal² Formula.

I don't suppose anyone understands what Crystal² means?

11 minutes ago, Eggcup The Daft said:

Thanks for clearing that one up at least. So it is Nano Crystal² Formula.

I don't suppose anyone understands what Crystal² means?

I suspect that's an entirely different kettle of definitions.

Actually it is both, it just depends on which part of the main paragraph you wish to discuss.  So one is probably official and the other probably a typo. 

This sort of thing is the reason I occasionally volunteer as a proofreader. 

Edited by Cafad

3 hours ago, Krispy Audio said:

The "2" in Crystal² simply denotes the fact there are two active properties of their crystalline material: first, it generates negative ions that eliminate static and secondly, it converts thermal energy into far-infrared.

Far infra-red IS heat (thermal) energy. 

However, colour me interested. Tell us precisely how it generates negative ions and how it converts thermal energy into far infra-red (thermal energy). 

Far-infrared is thermal energy, but thermal energy isn't necessarily far-infrared. The difference is the spectrum and efficiency which I'm sure you know. Re negative ions, there is a plethora of natural sources that generate negative ions such as beeswax, natural salt, tourmaline, amethyst which I'm sure you are aware of as well. 

But I'm not here to get into a futile debate about this Trevor, I'm a Furutech dealer and just wanted to alert those genuinely interested in the product and/or have an open mind to things, that they're available. 

• Like 3

Guest vagabond
2 hours ago, Krispy Audio said:

But I'm not here to get into a futile debate about this Trevor, I'm a Furutech dealer and just wanted to alert those genuinely interested in the product and/or have an open mind to things, that they're available. 

To be fair, this is the thread for ridiculing the Furutech press release.

Anyone of you have any engineering skills? Understand any physics at all?

Neither do I, and that's why I leave it to the professionals and don't knock anything until I try it. After all they have a brand that they represent and value. Why would anyone jeopardise their brand by selling garbage? Especially someone as well established as furutech. But, it's a lot easier to knock than adopt. A lot more simple minded too. Still listening to the old wireless are we boys?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guest Eggcup The Daft
1 hour ago, G_goodwin said:

Anyone of you have any engineering skills? Understand any physics at all?

Neither do I, and that's why I leave it to the professionals and don't knock anything until I try it. After all they have a brand that they represent and value. Why would anyone jeopardise their brand by selling garbage? Especially someone as well established as furutech. But, it's a lot easier to knock than adopt. A lot more simple minded too. Still listening to the old wireless are we boys?

Firstly, yes, I understand some basic physics, thank you.

Secondly, the claims made for this product are, shall we say, unusual. If Furutech are as professional as you believe, they would back up the claims with measurements and DBT results to show that there is at least an effect on the sound. Since I don't believe the claims, I won't be adopting this product in the absence of such evidence. That may make me close minded, but not simple minded.

I'm sure my custom won't be missed, there are plenty of people who take your attitude, will see the Furutech name and be positively disposed.

And the old wireless sounds quite OK, thank you for asking.

Firstly, yes, I understand some basic physics, thank you.

Secondly, the claims made for this product are, shall we say, unusual. If Furutech are as professional as you believe, they would back up the claims with measurements and DBT results to show that there is at least an effect on the sound. Since I don't believe the claims, I won't be adopting this product in the absence of such evidence. That may make me close minded, but not simple minded.

I'm sure my custom won't be missed, there are plenty of people who take your attitude, will see the Furutech name and be positively disposed.

And the old wireless sounds quite OK, thank you for asking.

I love a wireless!!!

I love a wireless!!!

Sip your scotch, listen to your LP12 and be happy.

But don't scoff at new things if you don't want to adopt them. Or at the very least, listen to them.

Relax! That old flannel shirt is just going to get more comfortable.

You have nothing to worry about x

Have a cigar!

https://g.co/kgs/CrNyQ5

Guest Eggcup The Daft
49 minutes ago, G_goodwin said:

Sip your scotch, listen to your LP12 and be happy.

But don't scoff at new things if you don't want to adopt them. Or at the very least, listen to them.

Relax! That old flannel shirt is just going to get more comfortable.

You have nothing to worry about x

Have a cigar!

https://g.co/kgs/CrNyQ5

I've never smoked or drunk. My Linn was an Axis and I haven't used a turntable for 12 years now.

No flannel shirts either! Excellent deductive skills on your part.

10 hours ago, G_goodwin said:

Anyone of you have any engineering skills?

Yep.

Understand any physics at all?

Yep. AND an excellent grounding in electronics. 

Neither do I, and that's why I leave it to the professionals and don't knock anything until I try it.

Then you should leave it to the professionals. As a professional, the claims made about the product are completely bogus. There is no scientific logic to back it up. Just a bunch of fancy words strung together, which are designed to fool the scientifically illiterate. 

After all they have a brand that they represent and value.

Well, yes they have a brand. Value has yet to be demonstrated. 

Why would anyone jeopardise their brand by selling garbage?

Because manufacturers have been doing just that for thousands of years. As P T Barnum would say (but never did):

"There's one born every minute." 

Especially someone as well established as furutech. But, it's a lot easier to knock than adopt.

NO. It's much easier to believe every piece of advertising copy, rather than trying to learn a little physics. I choose the hard way - learning physics. 

A lot more simple minded too. Still listening to the old wireless are we boys?

Do you know how a wireless works? I do. 

• Like 3