Adam speaker info

Hi all, once I sell my lovely Triangle Antal EX speakers (which are in these esteemed pages for sale!), I am looking to decide what I will go for next. Our lounge is much smaller than the old home, now 12' x 12' x 10'(H), I've sold the big 5 channel home theatre amp and am now really thinking of going a more integrated route, something like the new KEF LS50W system - which I love the idea of in general, preamp, DAC, remote and amps all built in and superb reviews to boot! No cables, no big amps taking up space, cables connecting it all and my partner LOVES the idea .. and the looks, as do I. 

A friend of a friend has suggested going with the Adam A7X monitors, also with superb reviews, though I will need a preamp and a DAC to run it (or a DAC/pre), so the price will add up again anyway. He also suggested the Oppo Sonica DAC/pre but these have been withdrawn from sale to mixed reviews and the Oppo 4K player/DAC/pre would also replace my BluRay player as well (though much more expensive. 

Still, if something goes wrong in the KEFs, the lot is gone until repairs are made, unlikely yet possible. This 'friend' had also suggested that the Adam's will go much louder, but volume isn't really an issue here and the 200W amps in the KEFs will go a long way! 

My question is; does anyone own these Adam A7X speakers in a domestic lounge environment and has anyone experienced any form of comparison between the two? I am also considering buying the Adams O/Seas as they are much cheaper there ..... as are the KEFs! 

Thanks for any bright suggestions you can provide :)

Edited by Lightstream

Mmm, I have heard neither. Maybe I need to go to a Hifi shop where such beasties are set up properly. I really do like the idea of the complete KEF system though, no more messing around with the main system ... then I can focus more on the Head-Fi set-up :) 

I will need a good price for the Triangle Antals first though. 

True. There's a place in Brissie that stocks the Adams, rents them too. Might have to take a day trip on the train and go exploring, Caxton St Audio isn't too much of a walk from the city centre, done it before. 

Guest Misterioso

I am a happy user of studio monitors. I would not expect the KEF's to "slaughter" the Adams. However, just picking one pair of studio monitors from all those available seems somewhat arbitrary. If you are willing to explore studio monitors, why not check out, say, Neumann, Quested, Genelec, Focal, Hedd, Eve Audio etc. as well (just to mention a few companies that offer products in a similar price range as KEF, therefore ruling out brands like ATC and MEG). That requires some efforts and given 

35 minutes ago, Lightstream said:

I really do like the idea of the complete KEF system though, no more messing around with the main system

you might as well just go for the KEFs. The KEF's will have one big advantage: resale value within the SNA community.

Edited by Misterioso

1 hour ago, Misterioso said:

I am a happy user of studio monitors. I would not expect the KEF's to "slaughter" the Adams. However, just picking one pair of studio monitors from all those available seems somewhat arbitrary. If you are willing to explore studio monitors, why not check out, say, Neumann, Quested, Genelec, Focal, Hedd, Eve Audio etc. as well (just to mention a few companies that offer products in a similar price range as KEF, therefore ruling out brands like ATC and MEG). That requires some efforts and given 

you might as well just go for the KEFs. The KEF's will have one big advantage: resale value within the SNA community.

Yes I agree there's lots of nice monitors out there that would give the Adams a run for their money.

The Kef's are pretty special  though, I also have some ATC SCM20's, and I find the LS50's waaaay more enjoyable to listen to.

Have you considered Mile Lenehan speakers.  I’ve owned the ML1’s. I’ve also owned the kef L50’s.     Mikes were quite a bit better.  Deeper bass. Better soundstage.  And made in Aust.   Mike will also support his products very well 

4 hours ago, Bill125812 said:

Have you considered Mile Lenehan speakers.  I’ve owned the ML1’s. I’ve also owned the kef L50’s.     Mikes were quite a bit better.  Deeper bass. Better soundstage.  And made in Aust.   Mike will also support his products very well 

No, I've never heard of the Lenehan speakers. I've just gone and had a look at them on-line and while they look terrific and very well constructed in all ways, they have no amps in them and neither do I any now - I really AM changing the system around! My Triangle Antal EX's are sitting here with no joyous work to do, as I've sold the big amp and preamp recently to make way for the new system .... whatever that will turn out to be. 

By all accounts so far, the new KEF LS50W's are quite a leap ahead of their passive counterparts, I love the 'no mess' simplicity of them, even though I may only rarely use the wireless facility. Heck, with a Schiit Audio Mani phono stage I can just plug my t/t into the auxiliary jacks and from the reviews I've read, get terrific results and at this time it's all I want. 

Edited by Lightstream

True, I hadn't thought of those two yet and will look them up. I will still have to add DAC and preamp to the budget, all of which is included in the LS50W's. Mind you, the Oppo Sonica DAC/Pre would slot in nicely too, within a powered speaker system. I want to be able to just plug in a BluRay/CD player and keep things nice and simple, it'll keep my partner happy too :) 

I can play around all I like with my Head-Fi gear. 

Another benefit of the LS50W's is the inbuilt EQ for some basic room correction.

You're room is very similar to mine (small and square) which is the worst combination acoustically. Lots of reflections and certainly some bass build up. 

Being able to dial in a suitable EQ will make a big difference.

43 minutes ago, TheBrightSide said:

Another benefit of the LS50W's is the inbuilt EQ for some basic room correction.

You're room is very similar to mine (small and square) which is the worst combination acoustically. Lots of reflections and certainly some bass build up. 

Being able to dial in a suitable EQ will make a big difference.

Agreed, the Triangle Antals are too big for this room to show their best. The KEFs cover all bases really, the only thing I could wish for on them is a coaxial digital input as well as the optical, like the Adams do. I'll have to sleep on it :)