muznuts

Logitech G29 or Thrustmaster T300RS

Hi,

thinking of getting a driving set up for Xmas for the 'kids', anyone had experience with these, opinions on them?

I've not used the thrustmaster but happy with the g29 on my PS4. Pedals are pretty close together so I find shoes are a no no.

I'd suggest budgeting for a stand as well. Frustrating trying to use a table with pedals on the floor, as pedals and wheel move around too much in spirited use.

I've built my own stand and made it so I can still bring the pedals closer for my 6 & 8 yo girls

IMG_0525.JPG

I notice that JB HiFi have the logitech G29 + Forza 7 for $399.

Seems like pretty good value based on the cost of the game and quality of the steering wheel.

Bonus is you can use it with a PC and a HTC Vive for ultimate VR racing.

I think it is worth stepping up to a a mid tier system like the CSL series. For the longest time I couldn't justify the full blown Club Sport series from Fanatec but the CSL Elite with the load cell really really makes the set up change from a toy to serious sim kit.

I bought the Logitec G29 and had been running it on a old sewing machine stand.....OK, but not great.

After much searching, and reading/watching many reviews, I decided that buying a Next Level Racing Stand was the thing to do.

Sure it was more expensive than most steering wheel stands [buy about $100+], but it is the most versatile as well, as it's up-gradable, and after receiving it I can say you get what you pay for.

It's certainly very stable, and nothing moves much at all.

I only received my stand about 2 weeks ago, so I'm not sure if what I'm about to reveal is the norm [seems this stand's design is under constant revision], but my NLR Stand came with some additional stabilizing bars, these can be use in two ways, either as extra stabilization for people who slam down hard on the pedals, of for those who remove the slant plate from the foot pedal plate, and want to be able to have some minor slant adjustment......it's one or the other.

The only thing I don't like about the G29 is the Steering Wheel size.....it's too small.......but I guess that's due to design choices regarding long term working life [force feedback] V's realistic turning....You are obviously going to put much more torque against the G29's electronic motors using a larger steering wheel, than you would with a smaller one........The G29 motors would crap out if fitted with a larger steering wheel I suspect.

On 14/11/2017 at 5:45 PM, DoggieHowser said:

Get the CSL Elite PS4 edition :)

I'm keen on doing this for my kids at Xmas too.

@DoggieHowser  Does the CSL Elite PS4 Edition have a PS3 mode? And will it work with GT5 do you know?

Or would I have to get one of the Drive Hubs you've mentioned in another thread?

I find the Fanatec website rubbish to navigate.

I dont want to have to get a PS4 or Xbox, I'd rather build a new gaming/HT PC. 

Cheers

There is a "compatibility" mode which emulates a Logitech IIRC. Never tried it on a PS3 so I can't be sure

Worse case scenario is to get an older Fanatec Porsche Turbo S wheel (which I also have :P) and upgrade the pedals

I got the G27 and love it, thrustmaster seems overpriced in comparison and for the hardcore