Sign in to follow this  
Javs

JVC X7900 / X9900 Owners Thread

I'm certainly no expert on projectors but my X9500 out of the box has better blacks than your photos show. And I haven't been allowed to have a dark ceiling yet! I still haven't calibrated mine because of laziness and satisfaction with the default settings. I'll read through Al's thread on calibration again soon and try it eventually.

Have you tried just using the Cinema or THX default settings? I'm happy with THX personally. Maybe try that and post some photos.

Good luck.

Here is a couple raw full frame pics of my projector, if you look close near the bottom you will see my subwoofers etc...

its pretty well representative of the black bars when there is bright content on the screen... so long as your room is treated to not bounce light back to the screen.

OjVbPMr.jpg

cPIGhZU.jpg

Edited by Javs

43 minutes ago, a.dent said:

I'm certainly no expert on projectors but my X9500 out of the box has better blacks than your photos show. And I haven't been allowed to have a dark ceiling yet! I still haven't calibrated mine because of laziness and satisfaction with the default settings. I'll read through Al's thread on calibration again soon and try it eventually.

Have you tried just using the Cinema or THX default settings? I'm happy with THX personally. Maybe try that and post some photos.

Good luck.

Adent just depends on specific installation might be lucky with screen size, projector throw.

With 106’ headless has if relatively short throw these things are light canons ! Out of box wide open will be throwing out lot of light ! Worth setting with light meter

42 minutes ago, Javs said:

Here is a couple raw full frame pics of my projector, if you look close near the bottom you will see my subwoofers etc...

its pretty well representative of the black bars when there is bright content on the screen...

Indeed  I know few don’t bother with masking the black bars. I don’t have a dedicated room and not something bothers me either :)

Thanks for the replies guys. I won’t get a chance to fiddle again until later tonight.

I hope I can get to the bottom of it cos right now I’m thinking it was a huge waste of money!

@:) al- I used Javs settings cos it seems he had done a heap of calibrating and many people over on avs are using them and are very happy with them.

That aside, even if I just use Cinema or THX out of the box, the black levels never change - always as bright as you see in the pics I posted

@Javs wow to your sample pics! I’d die for it mine to look like that!

The HDMI menu setting you mentioned - mine was set to Auto - but when trying to troubleshoot i did move between each of the options - and there was never any change at all - never went brighter or darker - just the same on all 4 options

For reference I’m using the Ruipro HMDI Fibre Cable.

I’ll try the HIDE option tonight and take a pic

Re: Brightness - yep its on 0 - in fact i moved it down to -5 at one point just to try and get it darker.

The paint behind the screen and in the jut above the screen is the Dulux Home Theatre Black

I haven’t owned a projector since my old house 4 years ago - it was the Epson 9000 and I had cheap $500 eBay screen - and even that combo gave much better results than what I’m seeing now.

I’m really at a loss so i appreciate all the help guys.

32 minutes ago, TheHeadlessPoster said:

Thanks for the replies guys. I won’t get a chance to fiddle again until later tonight.

I hope I can get to the bottom of it cos right now I’m thinking it was a huge waste of money!

@:) al- I used Javs settings cos it seems he had done a heap of calibrating and many people over on avs are using them and are very happy with them.

That aside, even if I just use Cinema or THX out of the box, the black levels never change - always as bright as you see in the pics I posted

@Javs wow to your sample pics! I’d die for it mine to look like that!

The HDMI menu setting you mentioned - mine was set to Auto - but when trying to troubleshoot i did move between each of the options - and there was never any change at all - never went brighter or darker - just the same on all 4 options

For reference I’m using the Ruipro HMDI Fibre Cable.

I’ll try the HIDE option tonight and take a pic

Re: Brightness - yep its on 0 - in fact i moved it down to -5 at one point just to try and get it darker.

The paint behind the screen and in the jut above the screen is the Dulux Home Theatre Black

I haven’t owned a projector since my old house 4 years ago - it was the Epson 9000 and I had cheap $500 eBay screen - and even that combo gave much better results than what I’m seeing now.

I’m really at a loss so i appreciate all the help guys.

Also try changing to empty HDMI input 2 for eg, if you are using 1. Do that and see what the projectors no input screen looks like.

You would need to change the no input screen from blue to black in the menu, which you should probably do anyway...

Are you viewing with the iris completely open?

23 minutes ago, Javs said:

Are you viewing with the iris completely open?

Where in the menu can I see that? Page 2 isn’t it?

I think at one point i did turn it right down - but it just sent the whole picture duller, didn’t actually make blacks darker as such. 

Edited by TheHeadlessPoster

While using javs settings you HAVE to setup for output I don’t care what anyone says ! What is your iris setting at ? If out of box it’s going to be wide open.

Your screen size your room your projector at throw it is you HAVE to set for output ! Similarly brightness and contrast these are basics.

every setup is different. 

29 minutes ago, TheHeadlessPoster said:

Where in the menu can I see that? Page 2 isn’t it?

I think at one point i did turn it right down - but it just sent the whole picture duller, didn’t actually make blacks darker as such. 

No its on the first page but you have to go into the top sub menu to see it.

Are you looking at HDR?

I never posted SDR settings far as I can recall, I think its a good idea to get normal SDR 1080p sources looking good before tackling HDR. If you are looking at HDR, then there are a few variables there.

2 hours ago, TheHeadlessPoster said:

cinema and THX are pretty good for a lot of people out the box... but you still have to do some basic setup...at the very least !  these are variables that are setup unique. ie something i have is going to be non relevant to you in your setup :)

I had an x5000 and it definitely did not look like that ( blacks were awesome) had a 9200 before that and the JVC was a good step up in blacks ( same room). As satanica said check your aperture (iris) setting I ran mine around - 13 

Managed to play around a bit on Saturday night

First pic shows I turned the Iris down to -15 (and left it there for all the pics)

Second pic shows the screen when I press hide - too dark for camera to pick up, but with eyes you can obviously still see the screen

Third pic is what it looks like after un-hiding - I can clearly see the darkness of the black bar area increase when swapping between hide and unhide

The last 2 pics are to show that if i focus the camera on the bright image, it makes it look like it has nice blacks - and if it were actually like that I’d be happy - but with eyes in person, its more like the Allied pic (pic 3)

F148EEAE-D8D5-4650-8487-B7C2FD0BB43B.jpeg

29493C92-713A-42C2-8038-AD49230D703D.jpeg

329C7CDA-B14D-4028-BE93-C4C6434BC7A9.jpeg

9D47B68C-EC62-43A1-B10D-D00982CF4971.jpeg

F63EB386-E45E-4370-B4C4-55A487F0396E.jpeg

Edited by TheHeadlessPoster
Clarification

8 hours ago, TheHeadlessPoster said:

Managed to play around a bit on Saturday night

First pic shows I turned the Iris down to -15 (and left it there for all the pics)

Second pic shows the screen when I press hide - too dark for camera to pick up, but with eyes you can obviously still see the screen

Third pic is what it looks like after un-hiding - I can clearly see the darkness of the black bar area increase when swapping between hide and unhide

The last 2 pics are to show that if i focus the camera on the bright image, it makes it look like it has nice blacks - and if it were actually like that I’d be happy - but with eyes in person, its more like the Allied pic (pic 3)

F148EEAE-D8D5-4650-8487-B7C2FD0BB43B.jpeg

29493C92-713A-42C2-8038-AD49230D703D.jpeg

329C7CDA-B14D-4028-BE93-C4C6434BC7A9.jpeg

9D47B68C-EC62-43A1-B10D-D00982CF4971.jpeg

F63EB386-E45E-4370-B4C4-55A487F0396E.jpeg

Can you show us a picture of the back wall in your theatre please?

What size and gain is the screen you are using? -15 still looks quite bright.

But the Allied shot is the tell tale sign for me of another larger issue you have.

Looks to me like you have a MUCH brighter projector now than you used to, and your room is totally untreated past 2ft from the screen? Is that correct? Your black levels are drastically changing based on the APL level of the content which tells me your room is polluting the projectors black floor.

This is why I have a velvet tent in my room.

This is not my images, but I have literally identical velvet tent system as this, and this is what it does to the image when I open and close it. Also note that in the closed position, they STILL have velvet about 2ft into the room. The ceiling and back wall is horrible for this.

Looks to me like you need to treat your room more.

dHGuP5P.jpg

UbrLpC0.jpg

7 hours ago, Javs said:

Can you show us a picture of the back wall in your theatre please?

What size and gain is the screen you are using? -15 still looks quite bright.

But the Allied shot is the tell tale sign for me of another larger issue you have.

Looks to me like you have a MUCH brighter projector now than you used to, and your room is totally untreated past 2ft from the screen? Is that correct? Your black levels are drastically changing based on the APL level of the content which tells me your room is polluting the projectors black floor.

This is why I have a velvet tent in my room.

This is not my images, but I have literally identical velvet tent system as this, and this is what it does to the image when I open and close it. Also note that in the closed position, they STILL have velvet about 2ft into the room. The ceiling and back wall is horrible for this.

Looks to me like you need to treat your room more.

dHGuP5P.jpg

UbrLpC0.jpg

Is that light just stray light from the projector plus screen reflection alone in those shots with the white ceiling?

Is that light just stray light from the projector plus screen reflection alone in those shots with the white ceiling?
It's not stray light from the projector it's pure screen reflection onto a surface which then radiates back onto the screen again and washes it out.

Do this. Get a torch, go stand in front of your seat in the theatre facing the back wall. Shine the torch on the rear wall and various locations, then look back at your screen while still being torch on the rear wall and watch it light up like a Christmas tree.

You kill those reflections you will be getting the most out of your projector. And this is not just JVC, this is any projector. Most people probably only have an in room ANSI contrast response of about 70:1. Mine is about 250:1 and I still think there is a long way to go.

with white ceiling and screen up near the ceiling as i suggest back earlier it would be impacting pretty heavily. if scroll back at your pics you will see quite a few of the black surfaces even reflective (the speakers are black piano ?. people who are an@l about these things cover everything in black felt /velvet. the fanatics go for the "black - hole" essentially everything covered in light sucking velvet / felt. just depends how far want to go....

things like all the displays illuminated on your gear is enough in a room to see a white screen in your room I would bet. thats all needed.

22 minutes ago, :) al said:

with white ceiling and screen up near the ceiling as i suggest back earlier it would be impacting pretty heavily. if scroll back at your pics you will see quite a few of the black surfaces even reflective (the speakers are black piano ?. people who are an@l about these things cover everything in black felt /velvet. the fanatics go for the "black - hole" essentially everything covered in light sucking velvet / felt. just depends how far want to go....

things like all the displays illuminated on your gear is enough in a room to see a white screen in your room I would bet. thats all needed.

Yep,  i went from the basic audio room with a screen to the "Blacked out pit"  and the difference in contrast and black levels was staggering. :)

:) al

2...After.jpg

1 ...Before.jpg

2 minutes ago, wooferocau said:

Yep,  i went from the basic audio room with a screen to the "Blacked out pit"  and the difference in contrast and black levels was staggering. :)

:) al

2...After.jpg

1 ...Before.jpg

woofer even in my homely surrounds going from carpet like yours to our charcoal now I saw the benefit so have no doubts your changes would have been significant !  myself only so far can go ofcourse :D 

Here’s a pic of the room in daylight
In the old house with old projector, I had a bat cave
In this new house I was trying to avoid doing the whole room again, but it seems I may have no choice?
My screen is this one - http://www.projectorscreens.com.au/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=22

B232C293-9D86-4CEB-9D4F-5A9941A7E07D.thumb.jpeg.9c60fac57bf844742d505bf370cde086.jpeg
Could you take a pic facing the rear, not of your screen, stand at your screen and photograph the other way.

Just pulled the trigger on an X7900 (thanks Rich @oztheatre), very excited to see how much of an improvement it is over my X500, especially with Uhd via my oppo 205.

19 hours ago, Javs said:
22 hours ago, TheHeadlessPoster said:
Here’s a pic of the room in daylight
In the old house with old projector, I had a bat cave
In this new house I was trying to avoid doing the whole room again, but it seems I may have no choice?
My screen is this one - http://www.projectorscreens.com.au/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=22

B232C293-9D86-4CEB-9D4F-5A9941A7E07D.thumb.jpeg.9c60fac57bf844742d505bf370cde086.jpeg

Read more  

Could you take a pic facing the rear, not of your screen, stand at your screen and photograph the other way.

Ohh you said back not black in your original post haha. Sorry about that. 

Here's the back wall

127EDCA2-EC4E-495D-B61C-F964A84EAAB0.jpeg

Yep you need to treat that back wall. Bingo. There is 95% of your problem.

Hang a curtain or paint the same black as your screen area. The difference will be huge.

You seem to have a nice inset screen area so the white ceiling past where it's currently treated will make far less of a difference than your rear wall, so I would treat that wall fast.