Javs

JVC X7900 / X9900 Owners Thread

2 hours ago, Neilsy said:

Interesting.. These are all problems I incurred with my UDP-205...
4k movies but dropping back to 1080p on the player menu, etc.

Yes, the HDMI setting of EDID plays a part here however I believe it needs to be on A for HDR auto switching with the PJ.

Temporarily only HDMI 2 would give me the signals I wanted, however it was not allowing full 4:4:4 4K true HDR content.

HDMI cable change and every logo and light lit up and I can do every setting the player and 4K movie can spit out.

A lot of cable manufacturers even though they say 4K and UHD etc ready, once they pass 8m lengths unless they specifically state 18Gbps or more they will do weird things to your capability.

there is another trick in this I believe related to CMD,(let me do some some research to confirm) but arrow in the uk identified that with CMD (again let me confirm) it wont actually allow 4:4:4 only 4:2:0? (which is in reality fine for all uhd) anyways let me confirm but this is a limitation that can throw people unaware that exists :)

I'd be intrigued as I seem to be running 4:4:4 fine now @4K 24/50hz, HDR, 12bit colour

there is another trick in this I believe related to CMD,(let me do some some research to confirm) but arrow in the uk identified that with CMD (again let me confirm) it wont actually allow 4:4:4 only 4:2:0? (which is in reality fine for all uhd) anyways let me confirm but this is a limitation that can throw people unaware that exists

3 hours ago, Neilsy said:

I'd be intrigued as I seem to be running 4:4:4 fine now @4K 24/50hz, HDR, 12bit colour

you woudl be but quite likely the setting in question is not turned on that limits :)

found arrows posts, while he was posting re new gen jvc they actually relate back to the older gen too...

Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
UPDATE:

After conducting some more testing I have got to the bottom of what is going on with the 'THIN LINE / FAT LINE' phenomenon experienced with the Quick Brown Fox test pattern

It does indeed relate to the projector failing to output 4:4:4 Chroma Subsampling, but only 4:2:2 with a 4:4:4 video signal.

And turning LOW LATENCY to ON does indeed cure the issue

**HOWEVER** the LOW LATENCY being OFF is NOT the actual root cause of the issue! It is in fact the CLEAR MOTION DRIVE (CMD) feature

Turning LOW LATENCY to ON automatically disables CMD. 

Where the good news is that if you have both LOW LATENCY and CMD turned OFF then the projector DOES output 4:4:4. Hence you do have the choice of turning LOW LATENCY either ON or OFF without causing the issue smile.gif

But the bad news is that if you enable CMD to any of its 'ON' settings then the projector will only output 4:2:2, meaning that you cannot both use CMD and have the projector output 4:4:4 chroma subsampling simultaneously. If you want to use CMD then the projector will only output 4:2:2 maximum.

Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
Yes, you are correct that if you don't do gaming or chroma upscaling then 4:4:4 is not important because almost all consumer video content, whether disc based or streaming, is encoded as 4:2:0 

Where by the way, in case it is not already obvious, you can simply turn off CMD for gaming (which people might do anyway) so as to display as 4:4:4, but otherwise turn CMD on with respect to viewing movies / TV / video content smile.gif

you woudl be but quite likely the setting in question is not turned on that limits

found arrows posts, while he was posting re new gen jvc they actually relate back to the older gen too...

Originally Posted by ARROW-AV viewpost.gif&key=02f270ead40637546a79acf5de5faafbe94300783984eb39386f976e2dc4f5f2 UPDATE:

After conducting some more testing I have got to the bottom of what is going on with the 'THIN LINE / FAT LINE' phenomenon experienced with the Quick Brown Fox test pattern

It does indeed relate to the projector failing to output 4:4:4 Chroma Subsampling, but only 4:2:2 with a 4:4:4 video signal.

And turning LOW LATENCY to ON does indeed cure the issue

**HOWEVER** the LOW LATENCY being OFF is NOT the actual root cause of the issue! It is in fact the CLEAR MOTION DRIVE (CMD) feature

Turning LOW LATENCY to ON automatically disables CMD. 

Where the good news is that if you have both LOW LATENCY and CMD turned OFF then the projector DOES output 4:4:4. Hence you do have the choice of turning LOW LATENCY either ON or OFF without causing the issue smile.gif&key=dfb4341fdcc962647fa788a3487c8cdb4120a4f791b633f495e704856100f3b1

But the bad news is that if you enable CMD to any of its 'ON' settings then the projector will only output 4:2:2, meaning that you cannot both use CMD and have the projector output 4:4:4 chroma subsampling simultaneously. If you want to use CMD then the projector will only output 4:2:2 maximum.   Originally Posted by ARROW-AV viewpost.gif&key=02f270ead40637546a79acf5de5faafbe94300783984eb39386f976e2dc4f5f2 Yes, you are correct that if you don't do gaming or chroma upscaling then 4:4:4 is not important because almost all consumer video content, whether disc based or streaming, is encoded as 4:2:0 

Where by the way, in case it is not already obvious, you can simply turn off CMD for gaming (which people might do anyway) so as to display as 4:4:4, but otherwise turn CMD on with respect to viewing movies / TV / video content smile.gif&key=dfb4341fdcc962647fa788a3487c8cdb4120a4f791b633f495e704856100f3b1
That's very good info!

6 minutes ago, flamjam said:

That's very good info!

indeed its a great find by arrow. first thing I do is switch CMD off, so not seen the phenomenon but its a good one to know for those that use it :)

All video is 4:2:0 so 4:4:4 is pointless for movies.

If you want 4:4:4 for PC applications or PC games you would not want to use CMD because of the lag it creates.

Hey gang. I have an x7900 with a thousand or so hours on it, racked up in just under a year.

I fired it up last week and the picture was looking rather dim. I checked the lens aperture setting, which was all the way up. I brought it right down and back up again and the brightness suddenly returned. Phew.

Same story this week but now playing with the lens aperture doesn't seem to do anything. It doesn't get progressively brighter or darker, it merely fluctuates ever-so-slightly. The projector is on high lamp mode. I've gone through the other presets and nothing seems to change. Always the same dim picture. It's only just watchable and only because I'm in a total batcave. I couldn't imagine watching a 3D movie on this thing, however.

Any thoughts on what's going on here? Thanks!

1 minute ago, cashflag said:

Hey gang. I have an x7900 with a thousand or so hours on it, racked up in just under a year.

I fired it up last week and the picture was looking rather dim. I checked the lens aperture setting, which was all the way up. I brought it right down and back up again and the brightness suddenly returned. Phew.

Same story this week but now playing with the lens aperture doesn't seem to do anything. It doesn't get progressively brighter or darker, it merely fluctuates ever-so-slightly. The projector is on high lamp mode. I've gone through the other presets and nothing seems to change. Always the same dim picture. It's only just watchable and only because I'm in a total batcave. I couldn't imagine watching a 3D movie on this thing, however.

Any thoughts on what's going on here? Thanks!

have you measured for output ? if on high lamp and maxed out ? how big is your screen 😮 how long is throw ? 

look its possible one of the iris has packed in or something, but not come across that ever ? 

Just now, betty boop said:

have you measured for output ? if on high lamp and maxed out ? how big is your screen 😮 how long is throw ? 

look its possible one of the iris has packed in or something, but not come across that ever ? 

Eek. I don't have a light meter 😳 All I know is that it was plenty bright enough last week and now it isn't!

I have a 150" scope screen and a pretty long throw distance, which is why I was running it in high lamp mode (though low was reasonable, too).

The iris is definitely doing something, I'm just not sure what since it doesn't seem to incrementally brighten or darken the picture. It is definitely set to manual.

Oh boy. I might be screwed.

Thanks for the reply.

20 minutes ago, cashflag said:

Eek. I don't have a light meter 😳 All I know is that it was plenty bright enough last week and now it isn't!

I have a 150" scope screen and a pretty long throw distance, which is why I was running it in high lamp mode (though low was reasonable, too).

The iris is definitely doing something, I'm just not sure what since it doesn't seem to incrementally brighten or darken the picture. It is definitely set to manual.

Oh boy. I might be screwed.

Thanks for the reply.

Try turning off the auto iris.

If that doesn't help, sounds like the iris or lamp is faulty.