Javs

JVC X7900 / X9900 Owners Thread

Any other users of the "new" series ?????

I think this is the "quietest"  start to a new/revised projector release i have seen!!:ohmy: 

I wish my 20LTD was due earlier.... would be great to inject some enthusiasm back into the scheme of things..  :)

On 29/10/2017 at 1:12 PM, Javs said:

They are meant to be identical to the lenses in the X9000/X9500.

JVC were asked at Cedia about such things by the senior salesmen folks at AVS, they were told pretty plainly that was the deal.

What we do know is there was a new production lens in the X9000 series which I believe were made at a different location and or supplier than the previous models, and they were a step up supposedly.

I think assuming JVC are going to put identical yield lenses in the 9 series is the mistake here, they are not, just like only 20% of the 4k Sony lenses would be excellent, and the rest would vary from completely unacceptable to Just OK to pretty good. (According to Cine4Home who have calibrated, measured, logged, and sold literally hundreds of them as part of the cine4home edition)

Like I have said though, I think unless a person had a known good lens to literally overlay and compare, only then would it be clear the current 9900 lens I have is not up to the standard it could be. Unfortunately I do, at first glance when I had the 9500 off the lens looked pretty good, until I turned on the 9500.. so, I am going to pursue a sample which fits the description of 'Hand Selected' component I know its capable of. Obviously aside from that the convergence issue doesn't help either.

Thanks Javs for the info mate and telling it like it is.Info like this can do a number of things and save people serious dollars.If I were in your shoes I would be doing exactly the same mate.Although JVC make great projectors I must say.If I was to upgrade then this info and topic would be of great help.

7 minutes ago, drummerboy01 said:

Thanks Javs for the info mate and telling it like it is.Info like this can do a number of things and save people serious dollars.If I were in your shoes I would be doing exactly the same mate.Although JVC make great projectors I must say.If I was to upgrade then this info and topic would be of great help.

Totally agree.

Thanks Javs for taking the time to do this work.

For someone like me that tends to hold on to their gear until such time as there is a "generational" improvement, it looks like I'll be hanging on to my X7000 for a few more years.

Whilst I can't wait to hear from @wooferocau about his 20LTD compared to the X7000, I'll just be living vicariously.:)

2 hours ago, wooferocau said:

Any other users of the "new" series ?????

I think this is the "quietest"  start to a new/revised projector release i have seen!!:ohmy: 

I wish my 20LTD was due earlier.... would be great to inject some enthusiasm back into the scheme of things..  :)

certainly feedback is most welcomed. 

@Javs I certainly very much appreciate as well. a rare scenario where you have access to both. so great been able to compare as they are. and saying it as it is 100% supporter of that. have to take on face value. if the thing is a dud its a dud,. cant tell it any other way. hopefully get a better example and turns up better again and keep in mind its probably in the minutiae that your example is lacking and though great probably for most its the genuine incremental upgrades likes of yours are searching for.

Some info from JVC to me...

Specs.. 20LTD
Native 200,000:1
Absolutely "Perfect" examples of LENS and DILA Panels.
Different Firmware/Software
Ferrari Red Chassis
20 Units ONLY Worldwide

Really looking forward to my 20LTD arriving...:)

6 minutes ago, wooferocau said:

Specs.. 20LTD
Ferrari Red Chassis
20 Units ONLY Worldwide

Who is that from? Peter at JVC?

Different software? Why?

1 hour ago, Javs said:

Who is that from? Peter at JVC?

Sorry didnt see that....     JVC Japan.

2 hours ago, wooferocau said:

I dont know...

"Written in gold " text for the firmware ? 

( Ignore me...it's just the jolly green eyed monster coming out...:thumb:  )

I think it's just the start up screen: 20th Anniversary Edition DILA Banner 

17 hours ago, Javs said:

Different software? Why?

A simple change in the default settings would constitute "different software".

Unless there is an explanation of what the change actually is and it is proven in practice to provide a tangible benefit that cant be achieved without the "different software" its all just marketing.

The best change one can make is to disable most of JVC's image processing and replace it with external upscaling and sharpening.

19 hours ago, wooferocau said:

Specs.. 20LTD
Ferrari Red Chassis
20 Units ONLY Worldwide

congrats woofer ! just the fact its going to be PERFECT lens and panels is enough I think and hopefully surety of top line machine :)

Still waiting on JVC to decide what is happening with my 9900 unit... Japan has been extremely slow to respond with steps to take, and we are now waiting on reply #2 from them as reply #1 seemed to indicate my original email was never even read in the first place.

When I get a new sample to try, I will definitely be updating this thread again with those findings good or bad, and will compare the unit once again to my 9500 and see if we can see more of a difference this time around, or not.

In the mean time, here are some user thoughts from ARROW-AV from AVS, who I chat to about these units, he has done a similar shootout to me, yet ironically, his findings were the reverse of mine, that is to say it turns out his 9500 was a less than perfect sample, and his 9900 was a great sample. It just highlights the importance of attaining a great sample unit.

We also have quite a few new owners now in the AVS threads, and in general people seem to be happy, definitely a couple instances that mirror mine in the 7 series though.

JVC needs to put stricter tolerances on the 9 series in general it seems based on what Arrow has to say here.

In light of the feedback which @Javs previously posted with respect to his JVC X9900/RS640 unit I thought it might be helpful to post our initial first impressions having had some hands-on time regarding JVC X9900/RS640 vs X9500/RS620... In short, good news! It would certainly appear to be the case that JAVS has/had a bum X9900/RS640 unit and was comparing this to a golden X9500/RS620 unit. Our experience is the opposite, in that the JVC X9900/RS640 unit that we have here is superior to the X9500/RS620 unit.

To elaborate, the X9900/RS640 unit here has pixel perfect focus uniformity across the whole field, both horizontally, vertically, and into the corners. There are no bright corners and the panel/pixel alignment is practically perfect. By carrying out whole field (as opposed to zone) panel/pixel alignment near perfect aligned has been achieved. I did not carry out any zone alignment due to the fact this has the potential to cause manifestation of undesirable video artifacts. As it happens, zone alignment wasn’t necessary. Fine pixel adjustment over the whole field achieved the objective.

With respect to the X9500/RS620 unit the panel/pixel alignment is not as good as the X9900/RS640 and it is impossible to align everything perfectly across the whole image, without resorting to using zone alignment. That said, it’s not horrendous so I got it the best it would go without resorting to zone alignment. And with respect to this the focus uniformity is good so I was able to achieve good pixel level focus across the whole image.

I initially calibrated both projectors manually using our CR-300 spectroradiometer which I used to profile our Klein 10-A colorimeter, plus Murideo SIX-G signal generator and SIX-A reference analyzer. However, I experienced some Gamma droop so ran some autocals to correct this; following which I finished via manual calibration. With both projectors I will able to achieve excellent grayscale and colour accuracy plus some very nice gamma profiles. It’s worth noting that the autocal was more successful with respect to the X9900/RS640 than it was the X9500/RS620.

As source content I ran a split feed from all of OPPO 203, Panasonic UB900, Sony X800 with both Netflix and Amazon Prime with 4K HDR, SKY Q with 4K HFR, and Murideo SIX-G signal generator.

I have managed to calibrate both projectors precisely to the extent that they are both pixel perfectly overlaid and hence can be viewed all of back-to-back, split-screen, and as a point of interest, stacked perfectly together (which is a sight to behold!).

Initial impressions are that the sync times for the X9900/RS640 are definitely faster as compared with the X9500/RS620.

Also, there is a slight reduction in e-Shift related video noise. However, this was also only really noticeable when I was literally running a split feed with split-screen such that both images could be viewed simultaneously and having precisely calibrated both projectors the same, so truly apples-with-apples, and viewing it up-close-and-personal as in less than a metre from the screen. The e-Shift noise with the X9900/RS640 is slightly less and more out-of-focus was compared with the X9500/RS620 e-Shift noise. Hence, it’s slightly less noticeable and the overall image looks slightly cleaner and less noisy as compared with the X9500/RS620.

Similarly, there is also slightly more fine detail with the X9900/RS640 as compared with the X9500/RS620. Writing is most noticeable in this regard.

Contrast and black level performance remain the same stellar performance that has come to be expected of this range of projectors; and it’s nice to have the DI functioning with HDR without the need for an HDFury Linker.

Furthermore, I was not able to tell any difference in operating noise level with respect to e-Shift being turned on or off.

I am pleased to report that the previous CMD induced posterization issue is now cured. Consequently, I found myself turning off Low Latency in favour of making use of CMD which I set to HIGH and Motion Enhance to LOW, which yielded superb results with respect to motion performance. Suffice to say, the opening scene of X-MEN: Apocalypse, which is a torture test for motion blur and judder and the like, passed with flying colours and looks absolutely fantastic.

In summary, with the X9900/RS640 JVC has taken what was already an excellent projector, and has tweaked a few things and made it slightly better. Whilst the individual improvements might be slight, the quantity and combination of which makes the new model projectors an attractive upgrade path for those who will value the improvements and enhancements.

Edited by Javs

For those that are interested, i will shortly have here a JVC  X7500 , X9500 and the new X9900    My 20LTD will be arriving mid December, so the comparison between the X9900 and the 20LTD will come latter on..

Javs original post on his X9900 was very interesting and at the same time very disappointing.  Since his review i have been corresponding with various users of the new series from around the globe, trying to ascertain if Javs got a "bad" sample or has the quality of the X9xxx series "slipped". 

Its great to get users opinions and such...BUT there's no substitute to having the product in your own possession and environment and viewing with your "own eyes" ....... hence i purchased a X9900 to compare.  A couple of mates have helped out as well, one lending me his X9500 and the other his NIB X7500 that he has for his yet to be completed theatre room.  The X9900 will be sold off after the comparo as my 20LTD will take its place in my theatre room.

I have been building a temporary rack/shelf unit to hold the 3 PJ,s ...they will all be the same distance and centreline from the screen which is a 143" scope screen .

Thanks to Javs help i have configured  a HD FURY  INTEGRAL  to output the HDMI simultaneously  to 2 projectors at once. By using the hide feature of the PJ ( one PJ out of sync to the other) this enables "instant" switching of the overlaid projected image. Tested this today with the X9500 and X7500.....works a treat!! 

Will be interesting , and "hopefully" positive in regards to the new series......

Up until about 4 weeks ago i had the X9500...very happy with it bar the ongoing complaint of the "Mosquito" noise associated with E-Shift. JVC announce the "new " series with updated E-Shift 5. One aspect of E-Shift 5 is the mention of less image noise. 

I get all excited , and then find out they have a limited series called the 20LTD......sell of my X9500 and order the 20LTD, all is good.....until.....

Javs gets one of the first X9900 samples here in Aus...posts his findings and my heart and enthusiasm sinks..frown.gif 

The roller coaster gets momentum and all of as sudden people are cancelling orders of the new series.

I decided the only way i was going to make up my mind on retaining the 20LTD order was to purchase an X9900 and see it for myself.

A good friend brought around his X9500 ( hear perfect sample) and another his yet unused X7500 he has for his not yet finished theatre room

We set up the X9900 and the X9500 stacked .

Basically we started comparing Thursday evening right through to Sunday night..........

I had one intent with this though.......E-Shift 4 versus E-shift 5!!

I did not get carried away with contrast,coulour ...ect....just primarily E-Shift.

Javs helped me with the info to stack the projectors and use th e"hide" feature. Feeding both PT,s the same HDMI input via the Integral and then putting one PJ out of sync to the other you have instant switching between the 2..

On to viewing....

On firing up the X9900 for the first time i was greeted with a very ungainly E-Shift noise!!!! sounded terrible.....after about an 20min it settled down and was never an issue again.

Let the X9900 warm up for an hour and check convergence..... HMMMM ...near perfect....one click down on the blue panel and it was spot on.
Focus.....Excellent.....Excellent sharpness and very even across the panel........Much Much different to the sample Javs has..

Enthusiasm was high..... 
Fired up the UB900 and ran the first film......picture looked gorgeous very happy smile.gif......... watch a while longer then we switched to the X9500....OH!!!!eek.gif

My fiend and i looked at one another , then switched back to the X9900....yep it was "Soft"!!

Continued to do this on many films.....same opinion every time. frown.gif I actually rang Javs on the Saturday morning with the bad news that i was in fact seeing a similar result to what he had with his X9900...BUT my sample has a very good lens and panels. 

The X9900 just appeared to be "Soft" not as sharp as the X9500 on both film and test images.

Sunday we started another session..... 
My friend who owns the X9500 started to take more interest in the X9900... He said ..."You know what, yep the X9500 is sharper, but the X9900 is still putting out a terrific image!" ...

We then started looking at content and when you look ...E-Shift 5 "DOES" have more detail....not night and day , but is does render more than E-Shift 4..

Then, we both commented that even though E-Shift 5 appears softer , it take on the appearance of being more "analogue" ..."film like" .....the E-shift 4 "IS" sharper, but it does look a little more "Digital" HMMMM.

The images produced by the X9500 and the X9900 are both superb .....but they are different in the way they are presented...

I initially just dismissed the X9900 due to the initial softness compared to the X9500, my friend is a little more patient , and due to this i ended up looking opon the X9900 in another way....it still produces an amazing image.

The outcome of this though is i have cancelled my 20LTD order BUT that is not because the X9900 is a bad projector , its not....

I was originally going to purchase the JVC Z1 before my X9500, then all the bad report flowed in and i cancelled and got the X9500.

I felt there was no point in going for the 20LTD and it was time i finally got the Z1....so that is now on its way in place of the 20LTD..smile.gif

Something also from this is , like many others have said "JVC really need to up their game when it comes to their top tier series PJ,s" mad.gif.. People are paying premium dollars on the top tier models expecting to get the "hand picked parts"

Javs got a bad sample...i got an excellent sample.........they should BOTH be excellent samples!

Apologies for the long winded waffle...

Some pics..

Stacked-X9900-and-X9500.jpg

X9500-100%-(2)w.jpg

X9500-ACw.jpg

X9500-D-(1)w.jpg

X9500-GW-(1)w.jpg

X9500-KAw.jpg

X9500-Left-X9900-Rightw.jpg

X9500L-X9900Rw.jpg

X9500-Menu1w.jpg

X9500-Menu2w.jpg

X9500-X9900-Combinedw.jpg

X9900-100%-(1)w.jpg

X9900-ACw.jpg

X9900-D-(2)w.jpg

X9900-GW-(2)w.jpg

X9900-KAw.jpg

X9900-Menu1w.jpg

X9900-Menu2w.jpg

X9900-Top-X9500-bot-#2w.jpg

X9900-top-X9500-botw.jpg

11 minutes ago, wooferocau said:

Up until about 4 weeks ago i had the X9500...very happy with it bar the ongoing complaint of the "Mosquito" noise associated with E-Shift. JVC announce the "new " series with updated E-Shift 5. One aspect of E-Shift 5 is the mention of less image noise. 

I get all excited , and then find out they have a limited series called the 20LTD......sell of my X9500 and order the 20LTD, all is good.....until.....

Apologies for the waffle

Great post.

really interested in what you make of the Z1 when it arrives.

I am still using an old X3 so a long way behind.  I am kind of thinking I shouldn’t upgrade until a proper affordable 4K is available.  

good to read of your thoughts and comparisons woofer :) certainly from all I've read and you confirm as well with this new range really just looks like jvc fiddling around the edges ! so not surprised really if looking for a major step up in things looking to the z1

1 hour ago, Steam said:

I am still using an old X3 so a long way behind.  I am kind of thinking I shouldn’t upgrade until a proper affordable 4K is available.  

steam if you are thinking that, you would be missing out and for quite a long long while ....

I came from an x35 and went to the x7000 and it was well worth it. "proper 4K" in an affordable realm is a long way off. and in the mean time the affordable JVC range put out a hell of a performance. in my mind the jvc engineers have been very smart to bring uhd and a whole new light engine for it at a price point  like their previous range projectors.

criticism fair and square though is at JVCs feet, since the x7000 all model releases since seem to be pretty minor iterations and am yet to see much if anything in way of improvements. the next model iteration...perhaps a whole new model is likely in 2018 around this time. however I dont expect it to be affordable native 4k....

On 13/11/2017 at 7:55 PM, :) al said:

steam if you are thinking that, you would be missing out and for quite a long long while .

I came from an x35 and went to the x7000 and it was well worth it. "proper 4K" in an affordable realm is a long way off. and in the mean time the affordable JVC range put out a hell of a performance. in my mind the jvc engineers have been very smart to bring uhd and a whole new light engine for it at a price point  like their previous range projectors.

Hi Al

i have been keeping track of used x series stuff.  If one pops up at a silly price I will snag it but I have other upgrades that are more pressing.

I also think JVC will have to 4K sooner than later otherwise the competition will run them over.  The Sony’s are dropping and now Benq has a 4K.  Sure not as good in theory but...  they cant put it off forever.  And the price can’t be silly high like the z1.

plus I still like the motorised lens door on the X3.  :na:  do any of them still have that?

2 minutes ago, Steam said:

i have been keeping track of used x series stuff.  If one pops up at a silly price I will snag it but I have other upgrades that are more pressing.

Sure we all have our priorities :)

3 minutes ago, Steam said:

also think JVC will have to 4K sooner than later otherwise the competition will run them over.  The Sony’s are dropping and now Benq has a 4K.  Sure not as good in theory but...  they cant put it off forever.  And the price can’t be silly high like the z1.

Don’t know... let’s see, Steam now you’ve had jvc, I suspect will find the alrnatives in pure picture quality not really living up what used to. Certainly from what can see, benq 4K capability is debatable and sony has nothi;g to answer as all their models are either lacking in capability in one way or other or compromised with optics  and the one Sony that does seem upto snuff is more costly than the z1 ! Certainly you won’t see any of the guys here with Sony on their radar...

if sony updated the  1100ES so fully uhd  I suspect another story but even that is a $30k+ projector so not actually small bikies.

still I agree to certain extent, and look forward to what jvc might have in the pipeline...

We've recently got a DLP 4K in the store and I was watching the opening scenes of Man of Steel earlier today

Got home and cracked open my own copy and played the same scenes.

Damn even without a real 4K panel, my 9500 was so much sharper and detailed. The black levels and contrast just made the whole image pop - and then with the HDR blasts.. just no contest. 

I will admit to being swayed by the new Sony 760ES but it would have to be pretty special to make me switch