JVC X7900 / X9900 Owners Discussion Thread

2 minutes ago, betty boop said:

flamjam this is due to the large difference in luminance vs contrast of blacks... ie flaring. you get similar with oleds / plasma with contrast difference. these go all the ways back it seems and across some brands... when start noticing you start noticing. im not sure if goes away... but I stopped noticing. :) 

ps with projectors obviously the centre of screen is likely the brightest...hence most noticeable there. if check with a light meter will see some drop off of luminance as go out to the edges of the screen :)

Thanks. Would it have anything to do with how close the pj is to the screen? I agree, once you notice things, you notice things. And then one day you don't any longer!! Too true!!!!!

Edited by flamjam
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, flamjam said:

Thanks. Would it have anything to do with how close the pj is to the screen? I agree, once you notice things, you notice things. And then one day you don't any longer!! Too true!!!!!

just case of high luminance ... so closer... if it is the brighter then yes. close the iris ... see if impacts :) im not going to go looking :D 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Strange one here. I have an x9900 and a Pansonic UB900. All has been great until a couple of nights ago. When I go to the home screen on the Panasonic, the projector goes into 1080p SBS (very annoying!!!). As soon as I go back to watching a movie, it goes back to normal. I have done a factory reset on the Pana but to no avail.

Any ideas?

I had this with a previous JVC to my X9900.

Haven't changed a HDMI cable by any chance?

That's what ended up being my problem. It was a 4K cable, but not 18Gbps so it basically downscaled everything back to 1080p

Strange one here. I have an x9900 and a Pansonic UB900. All has been great until a couple of nights ago. When I go to the home screen on the Panasonic, the projector goes into 1080p SBS (very annoying!!!). As soon as I go back to watching a movie, it goes back to normal. I have done a factory reset on the Pana but to no avail.

Any ideas?

6 minutes ago, flamjam said:

I just set the pana to 4k instead of automatic and it seems to have fixed it. I'm perplexed as to why it goes squirrely in automatic. Never used to. I guess I'll leave it set to 4k

what's the out of box setting ? auto or 4k ? I haven't changed my pana in this regard. either the 900 had before or 9000. 

Well, I have worked it out. Seems to be a flaky HDMI 1 on the JVC. It just doesn't want to accept a 1080p signal.  Below are some pictures where Ive tried to go to 1080p on my Samsung. This happened with my Pana, both Oppos and the Samsung. I hooked these straight up to the pj (HDMI 1).  I then hooked them up to HDMI 2 and no issue.  The only way I could get it to work on HDMI 1 and my pana was to set my 4k(50/60) output to 4k. Off is the out of the box setting. The Samsung wouldn't even stay on 1080p. It would revert right back to 3840. Everything just went to 1080p (SBS). A couple of times the picture mode showed 3d and the lamp went on high on the pj while this was going on as well. 

I guess it's off to the service centre it goes!

50sbs.jpg

outofbox.jpg

4k50.jpg

Edited by flamjam

from my memory you can have different edid settings on hdmi 1 vs hdmi 2 . are they both the same edid settings. from memory on hdmi 2 its more forgiving. if you are having 4k 50/60 issues it will most likely be cable related.... what cable are you running ?  though cables either work or dont. they dont usually do double images and such ! :D 

what is this samsung you mention ? 

as a note with the above selection... you are either selecting 4k 50/60 or 4k 24p(which his the standard setting) unless you agreed to run it 4k 50/60. 4k 24p by default will stress your signal path (including you cable less) 4k 50/60 will max out band width and un necessarily for most source that are 4k 24p in any case :)

12 minutes ago, betty boop said:

from my memory you can have different edid settings on hdmi 1 vs hdmi 2 . are they both the same edid settings. from memory on hdmi 2 its more forgiving. if you are having 4k 50/60 issues it will most likely be cable related.... what cable are you running ?  though cables either work or dont. they dont usually do double images and such ! :D 

what is this samsung you mention ? 

as a note with the above selection... you are either selecting 4k 50/60 or 4k 24p(which his the standard setting) unless you agreed to run it 4k 50/60. 4k 24p by default will stress your signal path (including you cable less) 4k 50/60 will max out band width and un necessarily for most source that are 4k 24p in any case :)

I attached a picture below. My edid on HDMI 2 is A.  There didn't seem to be a setting for edid for HDMI 1. It can't be cables as I have tried 3 different cables with the same result and all 3 are fine on HDMI 2.  I have included a couple of pictures from my pana in HDMI1. It defaults all 1080p to 1080p (SBS). It even allows me to choose 3d in the colour profile setting. The Samsung that I was speaking about is a KS8500 (without doubt the biggest POS player I have ever owned!!). It lives in the corner and never gets used. Just thought I would add it to the 103, 105 and ub900 for this experiment.3d.thumb.jpg.2987b4085811b6ecac5333d9bb22521e.jpgedid.thumb.jpg.be4d2abcd3b80fa4c0137ef6fec2f2f8.jpg

pana.jpg

5 minutes ago, flamjam said:

It's my week of repairs. Delonghi coffee machine packed up (after 7 years mind you) , Gerni packed up and now HDMI 1 has gone silly! That's my 3, so I should be all good now!!

Can't think of anything else it could be.

just make sure the black cat is not running back and forth under the ladder while you are taking the jvc off its mount :D 

shame not just the edid ... was hoping for you. otherwise its the hassle of taking to service and delay till get back. hopefully its not too long ! 

Yes, I've heard JVC isn't the most customer focussed business when it comes to repairs. I guess we'll find out!

Thanks for trying to work it out with me though!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, flamjam said:

Yes, I've heard JVC isn't the most customer focussed business when it comes to repairs. I guess we'll find out!

Thanks for trying to work it out with me though!

as long as deal with a good retailer ... they are great.... they are really not setup to deal direct to customer... so I wouldnt even go there... if thats what you are thinking :) 

Interesting.. These are all problems I incurred with my UDP-205...
4k movies but dropping back to 1080p on the player menu, etc.

Yes, the HDMI setting of EDID plays a part here however I believe it needs to be on A for HDR auto switching with the PJ.

Temporarily only HDMI 2 would give me the signals I wanted, however it was not allowing full 4:4:4 4K true HDR content.

HDMI cable change and every logo and light lit up and I can do every setting the player and 4K movie can spit out.

A lot of cable manufacturers even though they say 4K and UHD etc ready, once they pass 8m lengths unless they specifically state 18Gbps or more they will do weird things to your capability.

• Like 1

It definitely wasn't the cable in my case. I tried a few cables, and a few players. Even my Blu Ray players were defaulting to 1080p sbs for all 1080 signals.

My 4k works flawlessly on both HDM1 and 2.

Retailer will happily send it off for a service and even provide a loaner so I don't have to go back to watching movies on a 79 inch tv

• Like 1