JVC X7900 / X9900 Owners Discussion Thread

Ok, you were right @:) al, I am super impressed! Out of the box the picture is amazing, but now it's time to start tweaking. Any pointers for posts/summaries for what to look at, particularly for configuring the Oppo 203 for the best picture for 4k HDR discs?

Also, I noticed on the Oppo, it only seems to work properly if I set it to Source Direct output resolution. If I have it on Auto, or Custom (UHD Auto) the projector doesn't display any output. It may be a setting I changed when setting it up with the LG OLED in the lounge, but I can't see what I would need to change on the player/projector to get it to work.

Thanks,

James.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, James Belsey said:

Ok, you were right @:) al, I am super impressed! Out of the box the picture is amazing, but now it's time to start tweaking. Any pointers for posts/summaries for what to look at, particularly for configuring the Oppo 203 for the best picture for 4k HDR discs?

good to hear ! 

leave the oppo to factory settings, nothing else needed :), there is some basic setup thats suggested for the JVC if scroll back in this thread will find a link to my redux thread that runs through that as a very minimum :)

11 minutes ago, James Belsey said:

Also, I noticed on the Oppo, it only seems to work properly if I set it to Source Direct output resolution. If I have it on Auto, or Custom (UHD Auto) the projector doesn't display any output. It may be a setting I changed when setting it up with the LG OLED in the lounge, but I can't see what I would need to change on the player/projector to get it to work.

is your cable upto it ? still using the old one thats say 10m long ? old legacy cables especially on longer side wont work. if you are lucky something like the office works 4k hdmi comsol is worth a shot and at $69 will get you there otherwise looking at 100s on fibre hdmi.

are you passing via an AVR? is your avr compliant ? 

Thanks, I'll find that post when I have a chance.

I bought the Comsol one as my old one didn't display anything at all, the Comsol one will display a 4k image directly from the Oppo (receiver needs an upgrade), but only seems to work in Source Direct mode. I'll have more of a play with it when I have time - need to get the new cable run to the projector first.

Thanks for the tips, I've ended up ordering the 9900 from [mention=162546]oztheatre[/mention] (thanks Richard) as I have an Oppo 203 in the lounge that I can move into the theatre room to get going with at least.

Good move. You won’t be disappointed.

I'd say this is a dud unit in the first batch. Not acceptable but does happen.

Ironically my 7900 is stellar and I've still got my 7500 (which is just in getting the firmware updated) as I've sold it.
Edit, my 7500 I'd also like to say is superb! I wasn't implying my 7900 was some enormous stepup from my 7500, it's not possible.

I guess the problem is, you haven't gone back to JVC to see what's going on, instead just run with your review with what could well be, likely be, a faulty unit. Wouldn't you give them the benefit of the doubt first before posting this all over the forums?

Totally agree.

On 09/08/2018 at 7:43 PM, poppybob said:

Totally agree.

Did you miss the part where my second replacement was also faulty almost the same issues? QC has taken a slide this round for sure.

Softness around the edges of the lens (on a 9 series unacceptable!) horrible chromatic aberration in red on the whole right hand side of the screen. Terrible convergence requiring zone correction (which I refuse to do and didnt fix it anyway), inability to even see some of the pixels vs the other side when focuses to the best of its ability, audible buzzing noisy eshift. Totally backwards.

I had three JVC's in my room at the same time at one point, I was not imagining things.

JVC themselves told me others were having problems with it too and sending them back, including a dealer on this very board!.

What is wrong with total transparency?!

Edited by Javs

15 minutes ago, Javs said:

Did you miss the part where my second replacement was also faulty almost the same issues? QC has taken a slide this round for sure.

Softness around the edges of the lens (on a 9 series unacceptable!) horrible chromatic aberration in red on the whole right hand side of the screen. Terrible convergence requiring zone correction (which I refuse to do and didnt fix it anyway), inability to even see some of the pixels vs the other side when focuses to the best of its ability, audible buzzing noisy eshift. Totally backwards.

I had three JVC's in my room at the same time at one point, I was not imagining things.

JVC themselves told me others were having problems with it too and sending them back, including a dealer on this very board!.

What is wrong with total transparency?!

transparency is very necessary in my opinion. my first x7000 also turned out to be a DOA as I reported. thanks goodness the second was a goodn :)

4 minutes ago, poppybob said:

Just had my new 9900 put up. Not much into tweaking. Do I need two calibrations one for HDR and another for normal.

yes you will need seprate setups and calibration for UHD HDR and SDR blu-ray and such, if not much into tweaking I'd suggest seek some local help :) projectors are not plug and play devices :) 

10 minutes ago, poppybob said:

Maybe a dumb question what about UHD can you watch that without HDR just for the better Rez?

you can and some people do. but depending on your screen size and throw, likely you will be able to benefit with HDR on UHD :) ie if can manage 30FL at screen for HDR vs 12-16FL at screen for SDR :)

On 09/08/2018 at 12:33 PM, :) al said:

is your cable upto it ? still using the old one thats say 10m long ? old legacy cables especially on longer side wont work. if you are lucky something like the office works 4k hdmi comsol is worth a shot and at $69 will get you there otherwise looking at 100s on fibre hdmi.

are you passing via an AVR? is your avr compliant ? 

Looks like it is the cable. I got the Comsol one from Officeworks, but it's not working at 4k 60Hz, only at 24Hz. It will do 60Hz at 4:2:0, so looks like it's going back to Officeworks then. I might try another one from there as some have had success with it, otherwise it's up to the Ruipro from Foxy :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, James Belsey said:

Looks like it is the cable. I got the Comsol one from Officeworks, but it's not working at 4k 60Hz, only at 24Hz. It will do 60Hz at 4:2:0, so looks like it's going back to Officeworks then. I might try another one from there as some have had success with it, otherwise it's up to the Ruipro from Foxy :)

are you using the factory settings on the oppo ? is this straight from oppo to projector or something else in the mix ? maybe worth trying another comsol because I can definitely run 4k 60 well either that or something else is in the mix. if have to go foxy go foxy but it will just cost 100s more.... 

alternatively if can get away with 30ft ie 9m cable theres the mono price premium certified  hdmi and that will be cheaper than fibre too. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Monoprice-High-Speed-HDMI-Cable-30ft-4K-60Hz-HDR-18Gbps-24AWG-YUV-4-4-4-/372315607459?hash=item56afbd51a3

14 minutes ago, poppybob said:

Need a calibration. The HDR is ok but I seemed to have better blacks on my 500 jvcemoji17.png

its probably blasting iris wide open if its straight out of box.... yes projectors dont just work straight out of box , need setting up and calibration. they are not plug and play.

• Like 1

On 12/08/2018 at 8:35 PM, :) al said:

alternatively if can get away with 30ft ie 9m cable theres the mono price premium certified  hdmi and that will be cheaper than fibre too. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Monoprice-High-Speed-HDMI-Cable-30ft-4K-60Hz-HDR-18Gbps-24AWG-YUV-4-4-4-/372315607459?hash=item56afbd51a3

I might give that a go, I'm actually in the US next week, so will see if I can have it delivered to the office there for me to pick up.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, James Belsey said:

I might give that a go, I'm actually in the US next week, so will see if I can have it delivered to the office there for me to pick up.

The Monoprice cables are awesome and cheap. I ordered about 10 of them, they now replaced every HDMI cable I own.

I still use the Comsol Officeworks cable though for my 10m run just since Ive been using it a while now, from a couple people reporting them not working I am going to guess that they may occasionally not pass the full 18gbps, mine certainly passes 4k/60p HDR no problem though.

On 23/07/2018 at 10:16 AM, br0d0 said:

The problem with taking it back to the retailer is that I'm in Canberra and they're in Sydney. I don't want to drive to Sydney just to drop it off and if I ship it, no receipt.

I can't believe I let myself get into this position. It was astoundingly stupid. I actually saw the original purchase listed on eBay for ~$700 less than the amount I ended up putting a deposit on it for. I was told that listing was a mistake and then was seduced on the phone by the offer of a mount and cable. I'm a moron! When asked to put a deposit on it I did. When I changed my mind and wanted my money back I was going to be charged $1,050 for nothing (restocking fee).

After waiting for a month for JVC Australia to get word from JVC Japan on how to address the issue I've been told that it will take 4 - 6 weeks to get it fixed. Apparently the service agent hasn't even opened it to see which iris is faulty. This is bull$#!+

21 hours ago, brodier said:

After waiting for a month for JVC Australia to get word from JVC Japan on how to address the issue I've been told that it will take 4 - 6 weeks to get it fixed. Apparently the service agent hasn't even opened it to see which iris is faulty. This is bull$#!+

I'm wondering whether your purchase is covered by consumer laws where the retailer must refund or replace the product if faulty.  These override any warranty conditions .

2 hours ago, Tasso said:

I'm wondering whether your purchase is covered by consumer laws where the retailer must refund or replace the product if faulty.  These override any warranty conditions .

It should be. I've written an extensive email formally requesting a refund from Digital Cinema. They have 5 days to respond or I will lodge a formal complaint with the Office of Fair Trading and/or the ACCC. I can't see them responding in a manner that will be satisfactory to me so I anticipate that my complaint will be lodged on Sunday.

I've provided them with the footage of the fault (linked to earlier in this thread) along with details of 4 other cases I know of overseas (detailed in the X7900 owner's thread on avsforum) in which the projectors were replaced without hesitation. One of them was reported after mine and his replacement should arrive tomorrow.

Edited by brodier