JVC X7900 / X9900 Owners Discussion Thread

16 hours ago, Javs said:

Mate, I have set myself a bit of a goal next year... If nothing worthy comes out at a good price point, I am going to have to really start the campaign of convince the wife its ok to spend >$30k on a PJ.

She is actually getting equally frustrated with my frustration haha, she wants an end to it as much as me now.

:)

• 3 weeks later...

good review of the JVC RS640/ 9900,

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/video-display/projectors/jvc-dla-rs640-ultra-hd-projector-review/

and they were quite pleased.

"THE JVC-RS640 is premium-priced but offers the best image quality I’ve seen from any projector to-date. Once you see it, you won’t care about the cost"

"I have often said that there’s no such thing as a perfect display. And I want so badly to find some reason to keep saying that, but the JVC DLA-RS640 has no flaws that I can see. Yes, a native 4K chipset would be nice but honestly, I’ve seen projectors with that and they don’t look as good as this one. With e-shift now in its fifth generation, JVC has most definitely gotten it right.

As much as HDR seems to be in nearly everything now, there are still only a very few displays that can properly do it justice. And after countless demos and many long hours of testing, I can confidently say that if a TV or projector doesn’t have high native contrast, it won’t do HDR very well. OLED panels? Slam dunk. Zone-dimming LCDs? Some can do it, like the Vizio P-series flat panel I just reviewed. Edge-lit LCDs? Forget about it.

Projectors are no different in this regard. You can apply all the software algorithms you want, if a projector has 3000:1 native contrast, it won’t do a good job with HDR; not enough to really impress anyway. JVC has led the market in native contrast for over a decade. Even its earliest D-ILA designs delivered 20,000:1. The RS640 blew me away with its 44,085:1 figure, and that’s at a bright 30fL. I’ve seen many impressive DLP and LCD projectors but none can compete with that.

As great as it looks with 1080p material, the real reason to buy the RS640 is for Ultra HD Blu-ray. I have been watching the same three movies for quite a while now and never have I been so immersed in the image. There’s not much more to say other than, how can it get better? While I have no doubt that quality will continue to improve, I believe I have found a new reference display, it truly is the best projector I’ve ever reviewed."

I can agree whole heartedly their comment on the THX mode being very good out of box. which is great for those wanting to wait till things settle before calibrating. and after which it still has jvcs very excellent autocal to white things in shape :)  

good to see the 9900 reviewing pretty well and doing the good things JVCs do :)

2 hours ago, DoggieHowser said:

Was it a golden sample or did Javs get a dodgy set?

I've always said my two were bad samples.

This reviewer probably never had another golden sample to compare it to... The review also only measured 22k:1 at -0 iris in THX mode, had to go -6 to get 44k:1... I am guessing it was set up wrong with superwhite on and not properly clipped for whites. I measure 43k:1 at -0 iris on my 9500 and was getting 36k:1 or so on my 9900's I had here.

Its a unique scenario to have one golden unit in room to compare to another model that is meant to replace it, if you don't, some differences may not stand out as very different or any issue.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great review below here of the RS540 (US X7900 equivalent) fro meh very highly respected CHADB. some might know Chad is a calibrator that has been flying around the us calibrating projectors for people and been getting great results with them since the launch of the current generation in the Xx000 to the current series in the Xx900. So great to read his perspective on the very latest in this generation of JVCs

Review: JVC RS540

Cleveland AV owner Chris Majoros sent a welcome addition to my home theater recently, and though the time with the new JVC RS540 in my theater was brief due to my work schedule, I have in the last month been able to calibrate several RS540s and 640s in different environments to get a more time tested feel for their overall performance. The RS540 temporarily replaced my JVC RS67 projecting on a 119” 16x9 Da-Lite 2.8 gain High Power screen, a remarkably bright and high quality screen material that has long been discontinued. Source material was a mixture of Blu Ray, DVD, streaming, and UHD Blu Ray from a Sony UBP-X800.  

With the introduction of the RS400, 500, and 600 JVC added High Dynamic Range compatibility along with a brighter, more stable light source to their projector line. While out of the box HDR performance of these first generation units was nearly unwatchable, with advancements in calibration and related software eventually came the ability to transform the HDR picture quality into something truly remarkable on those models. However, due to very sluggish sync times and some operational quirks, the process of watching UHD HDR could be a lesson in patience and anger management. Those quirks meant that, in order to enjoy the best HDR picture, the user had to change picture modes from the normal HD mode to one specifically optimized for HDR. Then, after waiting for an abnormally long time for multiple source resyncs, it was necessary to go into the picture menu after the program had started and switch gamma to a custom imported selection. An external adapter from HDFury could eliminate that last gamma selection step, but at the expense of often doubling the sync times.

Those sync times seem to have improved, though they are still longer than that of other displays. I clocked the dropout from about 11 to over 19 seconds on the RS540, possibly depending on lens aperture and other changes between picture modes. Thankfully, the RS540 automatically switches to a picture mode optimized for HDR as soon as it is fed an HDR signal, and it no longer forcibly reverts to a certain gamma selection, making the process infinitely more seamless. 

Before calibration:

With only minimal setup (sizing, centering, and focusing the image and reducing the lens aperture for normal HD due to my high gain screen), the RS540’s Blu Ray image was very good, though I was bothered by excessive graininess and an overexposed look to bright objects. Contrast and black levels were outstanding, and color was sufficiently rich and satisfying.  

Surprisingly, I had a hard time finding significant flaws in the RS540’s HDR image, although my screen material and size is abnormally bright. In other words, the out of the box HDR tuning worked well on my high gain screen, but more typical setups might struggle to have a satisfyingly bright picture on UHD discs and streaming HDR content.

Gray and white uniformity was excellent. Giving my eyes time to acclimate to black, I could see that the sides were just slightly brighter when the RS540 was displaying a pure black field in a totally dark room. I do not consider that tiny bit of black nonuniformity to be a flaw, since I had to be looking for it under unusual conditions for it to be visible. Overall, I felt this was a very good unit, and it is possible that JVC is doing better at minimizing these bright corner issues. However, one RS640 I calibrated in a different theater had a distinct lighter area, somewhat rectangular or boxy in shape, that was visible in a black field just right of screen center that appeared to be caused by an abnormality in the light engine. Fortunately, it was not visible with content, though it was disappointing to see especially in their top lamp based model.

The RS540’s focus was sharp and uniform; and convergence, though not perfect, was good enough that most users would not be tempted to utilize the Pixel Adjust control to correct it. The 4K Eshift was very quiet, as was the fan in low lamp mode.  

Calibration:

Because calibration meters and software report light output in nits or footlamberts rather than lumens, the measured data must be combined with the screen size and gain specification in order to calculate lumen output. The lumens calculation is therefore dependant on an accurate screen gain rating. Within these limitations, I can provide the after calibration lumen output on the RS540 and two others I have calibrated in different home theaters where I had reliable screen data. Keep in mind that the process of calibration tends to reduce output slightly from the out of the box settings in order to achieve an accurate white balance.

1. Review unit: 1220 lumens low lamp no color filter; 1042 lumens low lamp with color filter; 1453 lumens high lamp with color filter
2. Unit #2 : 1675 lumens high lamp no color filter; 1546 lumens high lamp with color filter
3. Unit #3 : 1520 lumens high lamp with color filter

While all of those figures are with very low hours on the lamp, in my experience the recent JVC high power lamps tend to loose little to no brightness over the first thousand hours or so.

Following are the on/off contrast ratio results of the RS540, measured after calibration with a Klein K-10 facing the lens for maximum sensitivity at various zoom and manual lens aperture settings.

Maximum lens zoom: 
• aperture -15: 142,286:1 
• aperture -10: 77,969:1
• aperture -5: 51,078:1 
• aperture 0: 37,160:1
Minimum lens zoom: 
• aperture -15: 136,118:1
• aperture -10: 83,837:1
• aperture -5: 63,641:1
• aperture 0: 48,457:1

For those who like JVC’s dynamic aperture feature, it is selectable and functional in the RS540’s HDR mode. This feature physically blocks and reduces the light output dynamically with the picture, giving deeper fades to black and better contrast in very dark movie scenes. However, if it is fully engaged from a fade to black and then a bright image is suddenly displayed, it takes up to two seconds for the bright image to fully flesh out and look right, and it can get tripped up on occasion with certain content. This is not a fault of JVC’s implementation; it is an unavoidable tradeoff when physical gears and motors try to track picture content in real time. Although I generally prefer not to use it, many feel the increase in dynamic contrast ratio is well worth it.

HDR as displayed by a front projector is a balance between satisfying average picture level and compression of highlights; and though the RS540’s factory tuning does a far better balancing act than most other projectors in this regard, it can be improved further through calibration with Arve’s gamma tool and JVC’s Spyder auto calibration. With these tools and then applying conventional ISF calibration with an accurate reference meter (the Spyder used by JVC’s autocal tends to tune the white balance far too warm in my experience), the RS540’s HDR picture can be brightened and highlights tone mapped in a more satisfying manner, while still displaying very deep blacks and contrast.  

The RS540’s HDR mode allows a choice between two suitable color profiles, though it prevents using a custom imported color space in HDR mode. The difference between “BT.2020” and “HDR” color space is that “BT.2020” uses a color filter to provide deeper saturation at the expense of some light output, while “HDR” lets a little more light through at the expense of slightly less fleshed out pure colors. This allows some flexibility in calibration.

The RS540 includes a low latency setting for gamers, which did not compromise the performance in any way that I could see or measure. Using it does gray out the Clear Motion Drive frame interpolation setting, but I never prefer to use that feature. The CMD causes banding, as evidenced by rougher grayscale and gamma tracking even with the Spyder autocal procedure done, among other problems.

After Calibration:

The RS540 displayed a wonderful picture with normal HD material. Calibrated to the BT1886 gamma standard, the image was deep, rich in contrast, and had superb shadow detail. It was noticeably smoother and less grainy than what I have seen from the RSx00 and RSx20 series. The overexposed look on bright objects noted before calibration was nearly eradicated, the only remaining traces of it visible just on lower quality sources. Color accuracy was excellent at all brightness levels and skin tones looked very natural with appropriate richness.  

HDR for the most part built on those strengths, adding deeper and more lifelike colors and more fine detail. While I had no complaints of the RS540’s before calibration HDR performance thanks to the high brightness allowed by my screen, calibration added a slight but appreciable layer of refinement. In installations with less peak light output, a good HDR calibration could give a welcome brightness boost without compromising blacks or highlights.

Some enthusiasts wonder if UHD is even worth it on these JVCs, since they have native 1080P light engines and use visual tricks to increase the perceived resolution closer to 4K. Interestingly, since the advent of UHD, we’ve come to find that related advancements such as HDR and Wide Color Gamut make more of a dramatic visual improvement than the resolution upgrade itself. Many are eagerly waiting for JVC to combine their currently stunning contrast with a native 4K light engine, but those who choose to wait will be depriving themselves for what will surely be an incremental improvement. The RS540 is, by a comfortable margin, my number one choice in non esoterically priced home theater projectors."

• Thanks 1

though this thread doesnt cover the 5 series, I think the video review below is worth posting here, as covers the 5 series pretty well and the 7 and 9 series only taking further ...

below from HDTV Tests professional reviewer and calibrator,

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone - first post here!

I ordered the X7900 yesterday and expect to take delivery of it early this week. Can't wait! Have read many good things about these projectors.

What screen would you recommend to go along with it? Bearing in mind I just dropped $7K on the projector and don't fancy dropping much more right now haha

I like the look of the Majestic Evo Ultra 4K but at $1650 it might have to wait - unless there's something similar for under $1000?

Cheers

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheHeadlessPoster said:

Hi everyone - first post here!

I ordered the X7900 yesterday and expect to take delivery of it early this week. Can't wait! Have read many good things about these projectors.

What screen would you recommend to go along with it? Bearing in mind I just dropped $7K on the projector and don't fancy dropping much more right now haha

I like the look of the Majestic Evo Ultra 4K but at $1650 it might have to wait - unless there's something similar for under $1000?

Cheers

congrats !!!

look realistically with a projector of this calibre you want to spend on a decent screen, infact i'll go as far as saying given projectors might come and go the screen is likely to stay there. and it is literally what the picture comes together on. dont  skimp here. something like the oztheatre you will find quite a few using as there are another two aussie brands in screen technics and lp morgan. i dont think will go wrong with any of these. but will be spending in the order of what the oz theatre screen is. 

14 minutes ago, TheHeadlessPoster said:

OK thank you - I thought this may be the case. I'll suck it up and drop some more dollars on a decent screen.

100%   Recommend an "OzTheatre" Screen , you cant go wrong with one.....Richard is a top bloke , he will look after you. :thumb:

100%   Recommend an "OzTheatre" Screen , you cant go wrong with one.....Richard is a top bloke , he will look after you. :thumb:

I second the above recommendation.
I purchased a screen from Richard just before Christmas and could not be happier!
  • Like 1

Guest Terminate

What would owners of JVC projectors do? I'm a bit torn.

JVC5500 for $4250, 5900 for $4700 or 7500 for $6500. I'm thinking 5900 as the sweet spot maybe, newer and $1800 is a big hike up to the older 7500. Is performance that much better.  Room is a batcave basically for 95% 4k BD movies.

Edited by Terminate

Hi, a noob and another new X9900 owner , yet to mounted.

Just a question in regards to mounting the JVC and what other owners have done , how far off centre can the projector be mounted in the room?

I have located a beam which would put the projector off about 100mm - 150mm off centre, will the lens shift be able to re-centre the image if its this far off?

I dont mind fabricating a mount up to make the projector dead centre but just will just take a bit of time and if the JVC can do it , then why not.

Lens to screen is about 4620mm

cheers

On ‎17‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 3:27 PM, Terminate said:

What would owners of JVC projectors do? I'm a bit torn.

JVC5500 for $4250, 5900 for $4700 or 7500 for $6500. I'm thinking 5900 as the sweet spot maybe, newer and $1800 is a big hike up to the older 7500. Is performance that much better.  Room is a batcave basically for 95% 4k BD movies.

For that ratio of 4k UHD bd;s Terminate ; Ide consider  getting the 5500 and a hdfury vertex to get a custom colour profile for the HDR .

https://www.ezyhd.com.au/shop/4771/

45 minutes ago, richiey said:

Hi, a noob and another new X9900 owner , yet to mounted.

Just a question in regards to mounting the JVC and what other owners have done , how far off centre can the projector be mounted in the room?

I have located a beam which would put the projector off about 100mm - 150mm off centre, will the lens shift be able to re-centre the image if its this far off?

I dont mind fabricating a mount up to make the projector dead centre but just will just take a bit of time and if the JVC can do it , then why not.

Lens to screen is about 4620mm

cheers

100 to 150mm doesnt sound like much, but if i were you before mounting and fabricating mounts and what not i would test it there on say a ladder :)

keep in mind the lens shift vertical and horizontal are linked. 

also i wouldn't myself suggest fabricating a mount. just buy a peerless prg precision gear mount, for $99 usd plus shipping i doubt you could make anything yourself of its quality any cheaper ! and you really do need something like it to locate the projector with some precision. ps this is unless making a shelf or something which might perhaps need instead.

1 hour ago, :) al said:

100 to 150mm doesnt sound like much, but if i were you before mounting and fabricating mounts and what not i would test it there on say a ladder :)

keep in mind the lens shift vertical and horizontal are linked. 

also i wouldn't myself suggest fabricating a mount. just buy a peerless prg precision gear mount, for $99 usd plus shipping i doubt you could make anything yourself of its quality any cheaper ! and you really do need something like it to locate the projector with some precision. ps this is unless making a shelf or something which might perhaps need instead.

Hi yep - i have the peerless mount as you suggested, but what i mean was the peerless to bolt to the beam in the ceiling in which I will need to make another mounting point in the ceiling if I wanted the projector dead centre in the room just need to take a few wooden blocks and tack it in the ceiling, that be the better way to go ?

Hi Javs, awesome thread here! just upgraded x7000 to x7900. seems to me like a nice little upgrade especially low latency (as I game) question though.. on your screen **** with the grid how come the horizontal lines go past the vertical lines? should they meet together? I've got the same happening on mine but not sure if it's and issue or not. also I had my x7000 calibrated and have reapplied all settings to my x7900... would this work? same room, same lighting a d atmosphere. don't wanna spend $700 doing it again for similar results. thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all - finally finished setting up the X7900 and the 106” screen - and I have to say I’m quite disappointed so far. Perhaps I have a dud or something but one of the reasons I went with the JVC is because everyone raves about the nice deep blacks - but my black bars when watching 2.35:1 movies are light grey!

I’ve uploaded a couple of pics. Is this normal?

I’m running the settings from the first post here - http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/2923938-official-jvc-20ltd-rs640-x990-x9900-rs540-x790-x7900-owners-thread.html

I mean I obviously wan’t expecting OLED blacks, but c’mon - the light greys I’m getting surely isn’t what you’d expect for a $7000 projector?

It’s happening for both the Oppo 203 and Apple TV 4K

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Cheers

695BA426-9B2E-4B3D-BFB3-D41EB2A275A6.jpeg

259FE7E6-5D92-4021-9269-CC1466DFD612.jpeg

apart from copying someone else's settings (which i wouldn't recommend) have you done anything to setup. out of box these are wide open in iris. have you checked output with a light meter ? if havent likely want to crank the iris right down. if you have setup what output are you getting at the screen. should be aiming at around 12-14 FL for Blu-ray :) 

also re black bars...depends on your room eg there is obviously enough light in the room that can see your gear there. also screen looks like long way up against ceiling. i know ceiling is black ? but is it reflective as looks like some light reflecting there as well. these little things is enough that your black bars wont be black...  after all the screen is white :) and unless have a black hole theatre  (ie sucks light ... black velvet lined ! ) likely will need masking if chasing absolute black in the bars.

• Like 2

@TheHeadlessPoster  how are things going ? 

have you got a handle the basics ? id suggest at minimum for blu-ray for starters get output, brightness, contrast colour sorted.  out of box this is bare minimum you dont need to and i wouldn't recommend you use others settings for these :) can see link below,

it goes on basics for uhd too. if looking there as well. and if want to go further eg an autocal there is a link to how to on that as well. going further again there are HUGE resources on the net and others very knowledgeable and keen to help. and people have been always keen to help,. its a huge very helpful community of us ivc  owners :)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TheHeadlessPoster said:

Hi all - finally finished setting up the X7900 and the 106” screen - and I have to say I’m quite disappointed so far. Perhaps I have a dud or something but one of the reasons I went with the JVC is because everyone raves about the nice deep blacks - but my black bars when watching 2.35:1 movies are light grey!

I’ve uploaded a couple of pics. Is this normal?

I’m running the settings from the first post here - http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/2923938-official-jvc-20ltd-rs640-x990-x9900-rs540-x790-x7900-owners-thread.html

I mean I obviously wan’t expecting OLED blacks, but c’mon - the light greys I’m getting surely isn’t what you’d expect for a $7000 projector?

It’s happening for both the Oppo 203 and Apple TV 4K

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Cheers

695BA426-9B2E-4B3D-BFB3-D41EB2A275A6.jpeg

259FE7E6-5D92-4021-9269-CC1466DFD612.jpeg

On the 2nd JVC Menu page you should see something like HDMI level, Standard, Expanded Auto etc... It will be at the very top or near the very top.

Make sure you are in Standard or Auto, toggle the options there, you may see the black floor suddenly go way darker, if you do, then you had that set wrong, or the JVC wasnt sure what signal it was getting and defaulted to the wrong HDMI Range. If you see the black floor get worse there, than that setting was already correct, leave as is.

Also you can hit the HIDE button on the remote, that should show you the true black floor of the projector. Just a troubleshooting tip.

Also check your BRIGHTNESS settings... make sure its at zero. Usually any more than +1 or so on brightness will begin to significantly lift the black floor of the projector.

• Like 2