Sign in to follow this  
ArneS

Cheap Isolation fix - Vast Improvement

I am a fan of rubber, or more appropriately viscoelastic urethane polymer you probably know better as sorbothane. It usually comes in 50 or 80 durometer hardness and both have their vices and virtues. Natural rubber going by the name of Linatex is another that I have toyed with over the decades again in the 50-80 duro range. Not for under speakers but under electrical components, and not every component will benefit. My Yamaha SD2000 CD player refuses to play ball at with rubber, 

all the different types do nothing but loosen the grip on the music and narrow the soundstage. I think if you try to couple/decouple the outside of the chassis of any electrical component as much attention needs to be deployed to the internal construction and its subsequent damping. 

Many brands of quality racks use sorbethane for shelf isolation. SGR to name only one.

Edited by PicoWattson

A quick check on the net shows that the manufacturer of the base product of sorbithane state that the weight that the material supports is of great consequence to it's ability to absorb vibration. It ain't just one size fits all, and a hit and miss approach can cause as much degradation as improvement. 

The thing I like about the Bunnings pads is that they are made of shredded rubber aligned in a similar manner to particle board. The idea of having small pieces with dead ends throughout is to stop the vibration from continuing at each dead end. In theory this would have to be one of the best designs of vibration dampening regardless of frequency range. In practice one would have to try for themselves, but it definitely has merit.

12 hours ago, PicoWattson said:

I am a fan of rubber, or more appropriately viscoelastic urethane polymer you probably know better as sorbothane. It usually comes in 50 or 80 durometer hardness and both have their vices and virtues. Natural rubber going by the name of Linatex is another that I have toyed with over the decades again in the 50-80 duro range. Not for under speakers but under electrical components, and not every component will benefit. My Yamaha SD2000 CD player refuses to play ball at with rubber, 

all the different types do nothing but loosen the grip on the music and narrow the soundstage. I think if you try to couple/decouple the outside of the chassis of any electrical component as much attention needs to be deployed to the internal construction and its subsequent damping. 

Many brands of quality racks use sorbethane for shelf isolation. SGR to name only one.

Max Townshend thought Sorbothane was good enough to use on the Rock II.

It does however collapse over time, I changed it originals about 2 years ago, they had dropped by about 4mm in 29 years, when replaced the SQ was much better, just hadn't noticed the gradual decline.

I have the IKEA Butchers Block under TTs and Sorbothane pieces under just about everything .

There is no Bunnings around here.  Do you have the Bunnings product name , or link to it or something so I can point my brother toward it ?

(He has a Bunnings close enough).

Thanks.

14 minutes ago, eman said:

I have the IKEA Butchers Block under TTs and Sorbothane pieces under just about everything .

There is no Bunnings around here.  Do you have the Bunnings product name , or link to it or something so I can point my brother toward it ?

(He has a Bunnings close enough).

Thanks.

There are these:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/whites-on-site-100-x-12-5mm-rubber-anti-vibration-mat-4-pack_p3961547

however I have also been using smaller ones found in the same section. They are about 3.5 cms square. Pack of 8 for under 5$. https://www.bunnings.com.au/whites-50-x-50-x-12mm-anti-vibration-squares-8-pack_p3961977

IMG_3078.thumb.JPG.a3b81027c22d3356d652ca1fd8d95e45.JPG

Edited by ArneS

17 hours ago, Sime said:

How long ago was the purchase made in a Hi-Fi from a woman in Canberra?

A while ago now.

14 minutes ago, ArneS said:

There are these:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/whites-on-site-100-x-12-5mm-rubber-anti-vibration-mat-4-pack_p3961547

however I have also been using smaller ones found in the same section. They are about 3.5 cms square. Pack of 8 for under 5$. https://www.bunnings.com.au/whites-50-x-50-x-12mm-anti-vibration-squares-8-pack_p3961977

thanks.  Wow that really does look 'cost effective'.

1 minute ago, eman said:

thanks.  Wow that really does look 'cost effective'.

And the results are way better than doing nothing at all. 

Different densities.

I used a mix of the 50 x 50's and 100 x 100's in a friends system. But used only the 100 x 100 type density for places in my system. I bought a big sheet of it ages ago and cut it up to different sizes, worked out much cheaper than the small packs of squares.

1 hour ago, Noum said:

Different densities.

I used a mix of the 50 x 50's and 100 x 100's in a friends system. But used only the 100 x 100 type density for places in my system. I bought a big sheet of it ages ago and cut it up to different sizes, worked out much cheaper than the small packs of squares.

Do you mean this as the "big sheet"?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/swing-slide-climb-grey-play-equipment-rubber-paver_p3321288

https://www.bunnings.com.au/swing-slide-climb-1-x-1m-20mm-thick-paver-play-equipment-rubber-shockpad_p3321609

1 hour ago, enikoy said:

No, it was sold as an anti vibration product just like the small small squares are, and was identical in composition as in the 100 x 100 ones. I grabbed one on clearance a couple of years ago for $10

Saw those and no, this was about 1m x 1.2m anti-vibration mat. 12mm thick.

You can see I have a piece cut to si9ze under the 50mm think bamboo the CD player is on, and I have one in my hand that I cut for under my stands before I spiked them and placed them on a thinner bamboo board instead.

20170711_191558.jpg.694999fa5c4496b8f446f64b953d1fcc.jpg20171026_154537.jpg.cdd8142ca21aecdc8f9e14affe9d8e45.jpg

5 hours ago, ArneS said:

There are these:

Just got back from Bunnigs with 2 packs of the 100 x 100 pads .

Put 3 under my TT and am going to cut the spare into 4 for my preamp.

Question : - l have my rack sitting on carpet over the old wooden floorboards, no spikes. Would these pads help if l put them under the rack?

I would think so, Grumpy.

Under the rack feet that is, I have squares under the feet of my non-flexy flexy rack, also protects the carpet from the threaded rod ends :)

Went to Bunnings myself for some Vermiculite, found these in my trolley......

59f17db9bafba_IMG_0001(22).thumb.JPG.e03a93daa9e75ef5efd95c1ca7fed2a7.JPG

Going under the vintage Wharfedales.

25 minutes ago, Noum said:

Wow!

I hope the 'B' people don't see this thread :lol:

What would we do without IKEA and Bunnings hacks!

Guest Sime

@Noum this is those stands being compared to something similar to what’s been discussed here, only a production version of the bunnings equivalent. 

Edited by Sime

Yes I can see that and am well aware of both products, Simon. The Auralex are a bit different as they are of a different composition of materials. Both are more costly too....

Just saying ;)

Edited by Noum
Typo