The cost of nbn

12 minutes ago, JSmith said:

There are many things TBH... uncompressed 4K streaming, 8K TV is already in Japan so that's to come. It's a chicken and egg thing... provide the network and the facilities that use it will come. ;)

JSmith :ninja:

I thought japanese internet is pretty slow

3 minutes ago, Happy said:

I thought japanese internet is pretty slow

Dunno... was referring to broadcast TV in relation to 8K in Japan.

The point being there are many functions in the future that higher speeds can and will be used for.

JSmith :ninja:

On 25 October 2017 at 5:04 PM, davewantsmoore said:

I didn't read this far before replying sorry.

Hmmm... What's the population density like in your area?   How hilly is it?   They comission new towers for wireless NBN (it's rare an existing cellular site can be reused) .... but line of sight is required.   Perhaps I was a bit hasty with FTTP.

Sattelite?!  :-S    (not so bad if you're in an uncongested beam)   

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Nk-wuK5yXk8/VtDhX5x2nlI/AAAAAAAABSM/DqPYJUODYfA/s1600/Screen%2BShot%2B2016-02-26%2Bat%2B3.35.17%2BPM.png

Go number #28 ?!?!?!  (sorry, my geography isn't wonderful)

Have you tried asking your ISP for another profile?   Perhaps even a "G.lite" profile?     This is the original ADSL1" scheme used by Telstra where 1.5mbps / 256kbps was the maximum ... but it should be a lot better.

... and I assume your tried jacking your modem right into the incoming copper service (before much house wiring gets in the way) .... just to remove as much extra noise/attenuation as possible?

Thanks Dave for your interest.  I will be brief because this is OT for most listeners.

We are 3 acre blocks that stretch out of town in a single line along a road.  No other houses in sight.  About 4.5km from the exchange as the crow flies.  So at the moment it is a sparse population but soon to be backing onto medium density suburbia via subdivision and farmland development.  Bugger.  Its a ridgeline so there are uninterrupted views to the E N and W but trees block the way to the S where the town and exchange tower is.  The only 'box' which I assume would be a node, but maybe not, is close to 1km away.

Anyway...

The grazing land adjoining us which is a new development has 'planned fixed wireless' but there are only cattle there at the moment.  The newly subdivided blocks closer to town are marked as 'service available fixed line'.  Our block and the others at our end are not marked as anything on the NBN map.  Lets hope that it does indeed become FTTP.

The line noise is most probably due to distance (5km) and age (40years).  The inside of the 'pit' on the street looks pretty ordinary to my amateur eye.  The house wiring probably isn't great but compared to the 5+km out in the street ... reminds me of power cables.

I have dealt with Telstra before and managed to get no service at all for a month because their tests showed that the line was incapable of DSL2, so it was cut off rather than left as it was.  I eventually got re-connected, as DSL2, due to some naughtiness from a (former?) Telstra employee in Adelaide.  Let sleeping dogs lie is my preferred strategy ATM.  Even though the measurements, distances etc. are RS the service is remarkably reliable and stable.

What annoys me most is that I have had nothing much forever, and now it looks as though I will still be last.  And its not as if we are beyond the black stump.

1 hour ago, aechmea said:

the black stump.

With your DSL ask your provider for a "more conservative profile" if you have stability or drop out problems.     Ask them for a "fixed 1.5mbps/256kbps" profile if that's not too much of a drop in current speed for you.

By what you've described, I suspect you will get fixed wireless .... they will build a new tower (in a new location) for this - so don't stress about no line of sight to the S.     You'll need to have line of sight to where the majority of the people you described as marked for FW have LOS to ..... otherwise satellite, I'd say.

2 hours ago, aechmea said:

Even though the measurements, distances etc. are RS the service is remarkably reliable and stable.

4 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

if you have stability or drop out problems.

2 hours ago, aechmea said:

Lets hope that it does indeed become FTTP.

+ 1

Those speeds in 2017 are shocking. :ohmy:

JSmith :ninja:

Weird,

Had a rep from a nbn telco come out to try and sign up our warehouse/office last week (Wednesday I think) and he showed me the building (whole area) was marked as active on NBN Co website even though we don't have our box yet, but have got the letter that it will be installed shortly.

So I contacted by current phone/internet provider to see what they can supply, and low and behold, it is now showing as planned by 2020, as are numerous addresses in the street that I entered randomly.

4 minutes ago, blybo said:

Weird,

Had a rep from a nbn telco come out to try and sign up our warehouse/office last week (Wednesday I think) and he showed me the building (whole area) was marked as active on NBN Co website even though we don't have our box yet, but have got the letter that it will be installed shortly.

So I contacted by current phone/internet provider to see what they can supply, and low and behold, it is now showing as planned by 2020, as are numerous addresses in the street that I entered randomly.

Yes, had the same here many moons ago, a guy can out telling us that we'll have everything connected via nbn and he was from Telstra,  little did he know that I got the iPad out typed the address and showed him that nbn co doesn't even have it scheduled.  He never came back!

20 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

Yes, had the same here many moons ago, a guy can out telling us that we'll have everything connected via nbn and he was from Telstra,  little did he know that I got the iPad out typed the address and showed him that nbn co doesn't even have it scheduled.  He never came back!

Yes but I checked myself after he left and it was marked as active

the government should have told us we were getting "nbn to the wall" months gone by and it still says theres work to do .... and we are now clocking past 12 months since were supposed to have it into the house....

I guess nbn contractors feel they have done their job. we got it to your house didnt we....didnt say anything about getting it ...into the house :D 

There’s still work to do before your premises is ready to connect, which may take on average up to another six months.

Register your details and we’ll let you know when it’s time to connect.

4 minutes ago, kevanp said:

Had NBN connected to day,so just got home and connected new box thing easy done did speed test.

Download 94.07mbps

Upload 37.67mbps

Should i be happy?

Sounds reasonable to me.

What did you get?

Fibre to where?

We should all keep in mind that CVC (essentially the amount of wholesale bandwidth that the retailers purchase from NBN Co) is a major factor in all of this. The retailers that are skimping on CVC are ripping off the consumer. I can confirm that Telstra, for example, is not offering the cheapest NBN plans but I also know that Telstra is not skimping on CVC.

From what I can ascertain most members of this forum are not interested in finding the cheapest Hi-Fi products when it comes to sound quality - they simply want the best that money can buy within their particular budgets, and so are inclined to spend a lot of time and effort researching the market in an effort to making the best purchasing decisions.

A similar process should be followed before deciding which NBN retailer to do business with. Get on the forums and ask your neighbours  - the ones who have already migrated over to NBN. There is no hurry - you can stay put with you're existing landline based (e.g. ADSL) Internet service for 18 months following the NBN being connected in your street. By that time the dodgy NBN retailers (CVC skimpers) will have been well and truly exposed making it easier to decide which company to go with.

Edited by PeteD
spelling errors

Guest Eggcup The Daft

We should also remember that companies have to calculate the CVC they need, so there is the prospect of short term issues for some local providers. We really need longer term independent tests to catch the bad guys.

The ACCC is supposed to be setting up a Monitoring system. An excerpt from an article published in April follows:-

“The program will also allow the ACCC to determine if issues are being caused by the performance of the NBN, or by internet service providers (ISPs) not buying sufficient capacity. It will also provide ISPs with independent performance information from which to draw when making speed claims.”

“The ACCC will begin publishing data later this year as a large number of consumers move to the NBN,” Mr Sims said.

https://www.accc.gov.au/media-release/accc-to-monitor-australias-broadband-performance

The ACCC published an extensive report yesterday:-

https://www.accc.gov.au/media-release/accc-issues-extensive-report-on-communications-market

Edited by PeteD
Content added

On 10/30/2017 at 8:38 PM, rantan said:

So you are getting > 94 mb on fibre to the node? Must be a miracle.

Is this in peak time as well and may I ask who is your ISP?

I checked speed several times last night between about 6pm and 9pm always a good result.

I use Telstra for all my phones and internet,they are the only provides that give good coverage for mobiles in country areas.

6 hours ago, PeteD said:

The ACCC is supposed to be setting up a Monitoring system. An excerpt from an article published in April follows:-

“The program will also allow the ACCC to determine if issues are being caused by the performance of the NBN, or by internet service providers (ISPs) not buying sufficient capacity. It will also provide ISPs with independent performance information from which to draw when making speed claims.”

“The ACCC will begin publishing data later this year as a large number of consumers move to the NBN,” Mr Sims said.

https://www.accc.gov.au/media-release/accc-to-monitor-australias-broadband-performance

https://www.accc.gov.au/media-release/accc-issues-extensive-report-on-communications-market

Whatever happen to the Telecomunications Ombusman 

Guest Eggcup The Daft
20 hours ago, PeteD said:

Note the results of the 2015 pilot study. It shows that some of the problems mentioned in this thread (eg an RSP not purchasing sufficient bandwidth) were identified in that draft.

Note that the current "extensive" report is a draft. It will be modified after consultation - for which we can probably read "watered down". It doesn't get down to specifics in some areas.

And of course the most important periods for monitoring, the introduction of the first FTTN and HFC rollouts, have been missed in the two years between the pilot project and the current proposal for further monitoring.

In the meantime, noone can tell us which RSP is doing what. Of course the pilot project was anonymised so we don't know which RSP was not purchasing sufficiently then. And we don't know who is doing what today.

https://www.choice.com.au/electronics-and-technology/internet/connecting-to-the-internet/articles/internet-service-provider-satisfaction-survey-2017

I guess I should contact Choice about providing additional information in their 2018 survey (no idea who is on what plan for NBN, or actual speeeds).

Good or bad, it may help if people report here:

https://www.voiceyourchoice.com.au/S.aspx?s=221&r=uA8ab9lO2t1l7St5RL1rU5&so=true&fromdetect=1

once on the NBN.