Sign in to follow this  
Dr Gonzo

OWC Thunderbolt 3 dock not recognized in 'sound system preferences window'

I bought an OWC Thunderbolt 3 Dock to use with my 2017 MacBook Pro. The dock works in terms of powering the machine and my iPhone and iPad, however I cannot use it to play music through the headphone output or through a USB 3 port to my Dragonfly DAC. The Dock doesn't show up either in the audio MIDI setup or the 'sound' window in system preferences. After talking to Apple support over the phone for an hour they suggested that the fault lay with the OWC dock rather than an apple software or hardware issue. Has anybody else had experience with this issue and been able to shed some light on this problem?  

OWC should have the answer as their products are geared to Macs.  Why not send them a query?

I have one of these docks and haven't encountered any issues with it.  I use it for SPDIF optical out, I use the USB ports, the thunderbolt 3 port (to connect to a 10GbE NC) etc, so I'm confident that it's a decent product.  Running 10.12.x on a 2016, but the 2017 should work just as well.

Do you see the OWC dock as an output at all?  I haven't tested the headphone socket but can do so tonight.

There are drivers for the dock that mainly pertain to USB - it looks like the higher output power requires a driver.  Have you tried these? https://www.owcdigital.com/support/software-drivers

Cheers,

Tristan

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Aibynn
      Afternoon everyone.

I have a moderate stereo setup at my house which I've been enjoying for a number of years, which I run off of a windows based HTPC, which is now getting quite old and I'm noticing some issues. Now since I work in IT, I have a lot of equipment laying around, including a Mac Mini that I haven't used for quite some time.

Decided to play  with it, so I threw Kodi on it, installed Audirvana and a bit of music. I have the Lenehan PDX as a DAC and had to install the HiFace driver, but it worked pretty seamlessly after installation.

Fired up some music and was immediately... disappointed. The music sounded muddled, which is not characteristic of my system. I tried a few different programs, including J-River which is what I've used on my PC, and I will admit that the difference is still fairly noticeable.

To be sure, I plugged it back into my old HTPC and as best as I can tell, it simply sounds much better. Now, I understand that what I'm familiar with might sound better to me, but in this case I'm being as objective as I possibly can be.

Does anyone have any advice as to why the Mac Mini might be so sub-par? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
    • By Hydrology
      Item: HiRise for iMac (x2)
      Price: $65 each includes shipping nationwide (these sell for $95+ brand new)
      Item Condition: Very good to excellent
      Reason for selling: Surplus
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal (buyer pays fees), Bank Deposit
      Extra Info: No longer needed. These units are supplied in original packaging and are both on excellent condition. There are some scuff marks on the inner shelf (cant be seen in normal use). One of the units has a scuff towards the rear right, but again, can only be seen in the right light and as its to the rear, would not be seen in use.

From the website:-
      HiRise is an elegant iMac stand designed to elevate your iMac or Apple Display to your optimal viewing height for a more comfortable and ergonomic work station. HiRise has an internal metal support shelf that lets you adjust the height of your Mac in one of six internal positions and is over-engineered to securely support any iMac or Apple Display. HiRise also creates a hidden storage compartment that’s perfect for stashing hard drives and cables, or your wallet and keys. Save your back and ditch the stack of books under your iMac in favor of HiRise. 

Pictures:

• By Golliwog
      Mac mini late 2012
      Great condition
      $950

Pretty much mint (its just been sitting there). Bought this from someone in 2014 when it was 6 months old. Has run flawlessly ever since, not a hiccup. In 2015 I put a Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD in it alongside the original 1TB spinner.  Supports dual monitors. No box.
      Its just been wiped and has a fresh install of OSX Sierra. Fantastic computer for photo editing, music production or day to day use. Theres one without the SSD on eBay at the moment with a bid at $740 so ill ask for $950 and see how I go - its not a cheap drive. Otherwise on the bay it goes.

• By PSherriff
      Item: Mac Mini 2010, upgraded to 12GB RAM, 320GB HDD, internal Superdrive, Genuine Mac Wireless Keyboard & Mouse
      Price: $500ono + postage at buyer cost
      Item Condition: Very Good, 8/10+ and includes original packaging for Mac Mini, Keyboard and Mouse.
      Reason for selling: Upgraded to Mac Mini i7
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info: Originally purchased in Singapore for use in a small apartment, Initial light usage as a photo editing machine before being replaced by a Macbook Pro Retina and subsequently used as Plex Media Server.  Recently replaced by more powerful Mac Mini to allow real-time transcoding of Live TV as part of the Media Server box. Has been upgraded to clean install of El Capitan recently.

Note - As this was purchased in Singapore the original power cable is a UK plug.  This is in the box but I can supply a non-Apple branded AUS power cable on request at no additional charge.  I can also include a basic HDMI cable if required on request.

Pictures: Can be supplied for interested buyers (it's boxed up at the moment and put away at the back of the storage cupboard)
    • By Art Watson
      Hi all

I need to rip approx 900 CDs (all standard Redbook) on a Mac Mini Server running Yosemite OSX. I intend to rip to FLAC.

Interested to hear from Mac users about what ripping and tagging software they use. I was leaning towards dbpoweramp but the artwork, metadata and accuracy-check app - PerfectTunes - is Windows only. Is this a deal-breaker?

What are my other options? Opinions on XLD? 

Playback might deserve its own thread but if you want to share opinions there too I'm all ears. Keen to give iTunes a miss (because FLAC). Audirvana Plus? 

Sorry if these questions have been asked before - I did search the forum first, but please feel free to direct me to older topics.

Cheers,
      Dylan/Art