SOLD: FS: Orpheus Aurora 3 curved cabinet speakers

SOLD
SOLD

Item: Orpheus Aurora 3 speakers with the better sounding and prettier curved cabinets. Specially selected components by Kiat
Price: $1,000 Reduced price from previous post because I want to sell to make space. (sold)
Item Condition: Near perfect
Reason for selling: Making space and not used now
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
Extra Info: These speakers perform exceptionally for their price. Sound stage is precise and you get solid and pinpoint location of instruments, voices (male and female ranges are consistent) and there is a depth and breadth that you can "feel". The speakers were specially selected by Kiat at my request and negotiated through the late Kingston Hi Fi here in Canberra. In my opinion the matching made a significant difference in the sound image quality. I bi-amped these speakers with two Bel Canto Ref series (500S and 150S) with great results. I have spikes but did not use them on my slate floor. Good cables help bring out the detail and I can vouch for bi-amping producing better detail. Suggest also that using a subwoofer for below 80Hz will improve mid bass definition. I tried these with the rear facing bass reflex ports closed and open and recommend having them open and using a subwoofer to take away the lower bass load. It made quite a difference to the stability of stereo imaging. Power handling is at least 200W per channel but efficiency is high so even 20W should be enough for listening to music. Orpheus is a sister company to Duntech who should be well recognised around this place.

I have held onto these because I wanted to set up another room but have turned that into an office. The speakers I replaced them with cost 4x as much and are more subtle in the upper ranges and tighter in the mid-bass. Not a significant difference in stereo imaging. Doing dual duty for music and home theatre was no problem at all - the Aurora 3s are possibly better for the movies.

The speakers are about 25 Kg each so if you are not in Canberra the only way we can get these to you is for you to organise your preferred courier (Pack n Send do well but it is your choice) and I will take the speakers to them for transport. I have original boxes but they have been damaged by insects in the shed and they probably need to be wrapped up in protective materials to protect the excellent finish in jarrah veneer. BTW the veneer does not fade in sunlight.

Talk to me about these speakers.

Pictures:

Speakers.jpg

Edited by Peta
Sold pending delivery by me
  • Like 2

Somewhat hard to photograph the back of them to show the curvature. The reason I mention it is that the curved version of the speakers are much stronger and resist resonances and cabinet vibration. There are two bass vents at the rear. On the weekend I will take a photograph, when I can get help moving them. The colour is Jarrah. You can only see a glimpse of it in the photo

@spider™

http://www.orpheusaudio.com.au/products/aurora-2-and-3.html

You may have found your way here yourself, but the photos on Orpheus' website show how the curved side panels meet in a narrow plastic rear section which incorporates the reflex ports and binding posts.

The veneer in the close up images looks like the Jarrah to me: kind of mid-brown with a reddish hue. Nice finish.

The website specs list the height at 950mm, but I make it 1005mm (plus spikes, if using).

I've had the same speakers for about 8 years. I think they are very good buying at this price.

• Like 2