Addicted to music

Holden to Close

6 minutes ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

I thought Holden had already closed. What’s happened now, did they close again?

John Farnham Syndrome

8 minutes ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

If you are serious, and not just taking the p155, they previously closed local manufacturing, now they are closing completely in Oz, no more imports, now more Holden anything. I have a good friend about to lose his job as an automotive engineer with them. I haven't spoken to him yet but would be surprised if he's still employed by the end of the week.

Edited by blybo

10 minutes ago, blybo said:

I suspect Ford won't be far behind. Dropping the Territory was as big an issue as dropping the Falcon. I'm not seeing many Mustangs on the road and there are now better dual cabs than the Ranger/BT50 and the Everest is dual cab turned into a SUV, stupid engineering decision but I guess it saved money.

ford's decision to forget about passenger cars to only focus on SUVs is as silly as lets not do RHD anymore. 

but desperate times require desperate action. ford and GM literally nearly disappeared in GFC and had to go bended knees to us government that bailed them out. no doubt kept on life support since. sometimes have to take some steps back to thrust forward with any force... think shot putt or javelin :D 

i can see an announcement in long future... re birth of a legend...Holden returns :D Peugeot citroen and Renault have all done same over years. they went through very dire times. Renault pulled out of au and came back. citroen has just about vanished wiht nothing to speak off to sell and is coming back. peugeot only just held in there. but all have some exciting stuff on their agenda doing far better than their US counterparts...

10 minutes ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

They were still selling Holden badged vehicles built elsewhere (imported), so Holden dealerships/service centres were open. Under the slogan "Holden Here To Stay". Now those are closing too.

1 minute ago, blybo said:

If you are serious, and not just taking the p155, they previously closed local manufacturing, now they are closing completely in Oz. I have a good friend about to lose his job as an automotive engineer with them. I haven't spoken to him yet but would be surprised if he's still employed by the end of the week.

basically anyone related to the new design house etc all be going. some in old holden luckily moved to parts and distribution and you'd hope they stay. can imagine a lot of cost ramifications with flow on. the sponsorship deals....let alone dealerships that will have to de badge some will no doubt disappear. service centres hopefully stay though will do to reducing volume... 

19 minutes ago, betty boop said:

basically anyone related to the new design house etc all be going.

Yup, this is where he is.

Gone but not forgotten!  My Ute is good for anther 40 years.........253EE8D3-D7B2-4D2F-84E3-14AF1FC91F10.thumb.jpeg.95a04765f0a395509409eeafa52242a1.jpeg

16 hours ago, vinilink said:

Apparently, ScoMo is very angry after $2bn handouts to GMH.

Strange that government didn't have any T&C to GMH when money was handed out?

You can thank his predecessor; Abbott/Hocking destruction....

1 hour ago, betty boop said:

ford's decision to forget about passenger cars to only focus on SUVs is as silly as lets not do RHD anymore. 

but desperate times require desperate action. ford and GM literally nearly disappeared in GFC and had to go bended knees to us government that bailed them out. no doubt kept on life support since. sometimes have to take some steps back to thrust forward with any force... think shot putt or javelin :D 

i can see an announcement in long future... re birth of a legend...Holden returns :D Peugeot citroen and Renault have all done same over years. they went through very dire times. Renault pulled out of au and came back. citroen has just about vanished wiht nothing to speak off to sell and is coming back. peugeot only just held in there. but all have some exciting stuff on their agenda doing far better than their US counterparts...

I hope so.....

Hope they all come back one day....

1 minute ago, Addicted to music said:

I hope so.....

Hope they all come back one day....

I don't.

They have sucked hundreds of millions of $ out of various governments and still left the country anyway. They should be forced to pay back all the money received.

As for a return, you must be joking, "fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice ,shame on you"

10 minutes ago, rantan said:

I don't.

They have sucked hundreds of millions of $ out of various governments and still left the country anyway. They should be forced to pay back all the money received.

As for a return, you must be joking, "fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice ,shame on you"

It keeps people employed with hope and purpose..   it supports a whole supply chain industry etc etc and the list goes on....  

41 minutes ago, Stump said:

Gone but not forgotten!  My Ute is good for anther 40 years.........253EE8D3-D7B2-4D2F-84E3-14AF1FC91F10.thumb.jpeg.95a04765f0a395509409eeafa52242a1.jpeg

It’s all your fault Stump,  😜   If you updated it every few years Holden might still be manufacturing here.....:D

4 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

It keeps people employed with hope and purpose..   it supports a whole supply chain industry etc etc and the list goes on....  

Yeah. The taxpayer bought and paid for those jobs many times over and we were still screwed by a board of directors in Detroit who don't give a schit what happens/ed in Australia.

Edit: I have owned and enjoyed at least 6 Australian made Commodores over the years and they were all fantastic  cars. Then we (for some reason which eludes my thought process ) we went collectively crazy and now we have 50 Kg soccer mums trying valiantly to do the school runs in a dual cab ute.

Edited by rantan

Just now, Addicted to music said:

It’s all your fault Stump,  😜   If you updated it every few years Holden might still be manufacturing here.....:D

old holdens never die :D 

4 minutes ago, betty boop said:

old holdens never die :D 

But it has a Chev badge on the grill:)

3 minutes ago, rantan said:

But it has a Chev badge on the grill:)

probably a chevy motor, but doesnt stop it being a holden :D theres plenty out there with passion enough wont let a lot of these things die. never mind its white too but doesnt mean its white goods on wheels that many prefer to buy :) 

many fond memories early holdens,
cars that you could work on yourself,parts were cheap,just drop into bevics or repco get any part you wanted, back home and fit it yourself and keep on cruising.

090.JPG

092.JPG

093.JPG

096.JPG

094.JPG

Imo, this was - is the best Holden ever made. 

I'm currently restoring my Dads EH.

146357401_images(11).jpg.1909900daad1467dd4a05ca2f31101a1.jpg

IMG_1419.thumb.jpg.051d02d115896eab1b16614bb7bf7904.jpg

IMG_1530.jpg.63cac60bae1a8f2ff8a37c059bd01029.jpgIMAG0869.thumb.jpg.b35a9f53d10a0b94eb13151784c92dff.jpg

FB_IMG_1554947172128.jpg.238c9289b6a4d2d3b40fc2bf6691ceae.jpg

Edited by Sansui77

2 hours ago, betty boop said:

probably a chevy motor, but doesnt stop it being a holden :D

Best ones back in the day had Chevy V8's. 307's, 327's.. Great engines.

I see GM has run Daewoo into bankruptcy after taking them over.  Common theme with GM.

https://www.just-auto.com/analysis/gm-korea-in-bankruptcy-the-fall-out-for-future-models_id182147.aspx

I wonder how long before GM file for bankruptcy period?

Hopefully,  the US govt will not bail them our this time. 

Edited by metal beat

Car now gone but 3 years of hard work. Time in sourcing parts, cleaning, painting and getting albow grease until your whole hands and wrist are black. 

ZOE_0087_1_1_1_1.jpg.688c4ed710b0b821890567875bb3a72b.jpgZOE_0090_1_1.jpg.aec4c68af74d4047dd07741f6978ff4f.jpgZOE_0093_1.thumb.jpg.9ac8fdaae38434234bbf83f6b29b182e.jpg

On 17/02/2020 at 6:47 PM, vinilink said:

Apparently, ScoMo is very angry

Angry? Pah. It's just spin from Scotty from Marketing.

There's no way he would interfere with market forces and the free market.  This is just market forces and it is exactly what his party stands up for election on.  Truth of the matter is he wouldn't want to upset his party's backers, there's a river of money comes with the ideology.

Demise of Holden = what the LNP Coalition wanted, no more paying $5k in subsidies for every car sold.