Addicted to music

Holden to Close

1 hour ago, Addicted to music said:

The Commodore that were made here, I considered as world class cars....   they drove well and they weren’t all that bad in the reliability dept....  really good vehicles,  so sorry to hear it disappear entirely by 2020.

If you consider the Commodore as world class cars for reliability, you haven't driven Datsun 120Y in your life! 

50 minutes ago, vinilink said:

If you consider the Commodore as world class cars for reliability, you haven't driven Datsun 120Y in your life! 

Comparing to Fords ..........any Falcon, Mondeo, or Ranger.....   and the Ranger is a Mazda BT50 in disguise......🥴

Those Datsun are indestructible......saw one the other day. :thumb:

Edited by Addicted to music

1 hour ago, vinilink said:

I’ve driven both :D

but no the last commodore was indeed world class :)

and yeah 120Y it’s da cockroach :D

1 minute ago, betty boop said:

120Y it’s da cockroach :D

And just like cockroaches, they'll still be around after a nuclear holocaust.

1 minute ago, Ittaku said:

And just like cockroaches, they'll still be around after a nuclear holocaust.

theres one in a museum in tassie ... so we are certainly trying our best to keep them going :D 

6 minutes ago, betty boop said:

I’ve driven both :D

but no the last commodore was indeed world class :)

and yeah 120Y it’s da cockroach :D

Sure, it may be a cockroach to you, but I would have more confidence in 120Y to a long distance compare to European cars including Mercs without breaking it down.

FYI, I was driving 120Y to Brisbane from Sydney in early 80s, then a Sigma being driven by a friend, couldn't keep up. 

6 minutes ago, vinilink said:

Sure, it may be a cockroach to you, but I would have more confidence in 120Y to a long distance compare to European cars including Mercs without breaking it down.

FYI, I was driving 120Y to Brisbane from Sydney in early 80s, then a Sigma being driven by a friend, couldn't keep up. 

hi vini. to be honest most cars are world cars these days. ie pop hood likely all electronics done by bosch. (we have 200 engineers from the company right here in melbourne working on these systems for the world). when we had a car industry here. guess what all parts no matter the car brand toyota ford holden....all parts were made by the same companies ... its why when critical mass left, toyota had to leave as well ...the parts suppliers were no longer viable supplying just them.

really though cars now are extremely complex beasts, numerous parts thousands actually and electro mechanically nothing is infallible. ie they can and will fail. I've owned a Fiat yes a Fix It Again Tony, and guess what it was utterly reliable... and so should be relatively simple car and 10 year old design, pretty rugged reliable and just kept going. not to say brands dont have their lemons too. search internet and will find lemons in every brand. outside that in most cases its not the car with poor reliability but poor service (ie maintenance) and poor service (ice customer service that Ps off folks)with holden they got the last commodore pretty right. will be just fine over long distance and even bush bashing. commodores and falcons make for pretty good bush bashing cars.ps while i never owned a 120y... yes driven one as far as got. i did own the datson 180B the SSS version with twin SU carbs and extractors and full independent suspension and all that was quite ahead of time  vs aussie built cars of time with leaf suspension, live axles, 3 on a tree and push rod engines ! 

10 minutes ago, betty boop said:

hi vini. to be honest most cars are world cars these days. ie pop hood likely all electronics done by bosch. (we have 200 engineers from the company right here in melbourne working on these systems for the world). when we had a car industry here. guess what all parts no matter the car brand toyota ford holden....all parts were made by the same companies ... its why when critical mass left, toyota had to leave as well ...the parts suppliers were no longer viable supplying just them.

really though cars now are extremely complex beasts, numerous parts thousands actually and electro mechanically nothing is infallible. ie they can and will fail. I've owned a Fiat yes a Fix It Again Tony, and guess what it was utterly reliable... and so should be relatively simple car and 10 year old design, pretty rugged reliable and just kept going. not to say brands dont have their lemons too. search internet and will find lemons in every brand. outside that in most cases its not the car with poor reliability but poor service (ie maintenance) and poor service (ice customer service that Ps off folks)with holden they got the last commodore pretty right. will be just fine over long distance and even bush bashing. commodores and falcons make for pretty good bush bashing cars.ps while i never owned a 120y... yes driven one as far as got. i did own the datson 180B the SSS version with twin SU carbs and extractors and full independent suspension and all that was quite ahead of time  vs aussie built cars of time with leaf suspension, live axles, 3 on a tree and push rod engines ! 

120Y was indeed easy to work on/fix even for DIYs being a rear-wheel drive gave plenty of space under the bonnet to work around as it was easy to reach all over the engine bay.  Sometimes, I miss this car as it was so much fun to drive!!!  🙂

Did not know that Holden started as a saddlery in 1856 in Adelaide.

2 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

No, considering Elon Musk is bringing out a Cyber truck..   😜     Now heres a Ute that does almost anything...  

This is true.. The Cyber Truck can even make a Ford Taurus or a Fiat Multipla look sleek and sexy and that is no mean feat 🤣

1280px-1996_Ford_Taurus_(DP)_Ghia_sedan_

1200px-Fiat_Multipla_front_20080825.jpg

Edited by aasza

Not only in Australia. China's Great Wall Motor Co Ltd is filling the void left by GMH around the world.

NEW YORK/BEIJING (Reuters) - General Motors Co <GM.N> is retreating from more markets outside of the United States and China, saying on Sunday that it will wind down sales, design and engineering operations in Australia and New Zealand and retire the Holden brand by 2021.

It also said China's Great Wall Motor Co Ltd <601633.SS> had agreed to buy GM's Thailand car manufacturing plant and an engine factory, a transaction expected to be completed by the end of 2020.

In rearranging its global operations, GM is accelerating its retreat from unprofitable markets, becoming more dependent on the United States, China, Latin America and South Korea.

GM Chief Financial Officer Dhivya Suryadevara told analysts during a Feb. 5 presentation that restructuring GM's international operations outside of China so they produce profit margins in the mid-single digits "does represent a $2 billion improvement" compared with 2018's.

Ahead of that presentation, GM forecast flat profit for 2020 and reported a better-than-expected fourth-quarter earnings in the face of a $3.6 billion hit from a 40-day United Auto Workers strike.

With the proposed sale of its Thailand plant to Great Wall, GM is giving up an opening to expand its operations in Southeast Asia.

GM is "focusing on markets where we have the right strategies to drive robust returns, and prioritizing global investments that will drive growth in the future of mobility," especially in electric and autonomous vehicles, GM Chair and CEO Mary Barra said in a statement.

The changes will lead to cash and non-cash charges of $1.1 billion, as well as the loss of 1,500 jobs in Thailand and 828 in Australia and New Zealand, GM said.

Barra has prioritized profit margins over sales volume and global presence since taking over in 2014.

In 2017, Barra sold GM's European Opel and Vauxhall businesses to Peugeot SA <PEUP.PA> and exited South Africa and other African markets.

Since then, Barra has decided to pull GM out of Vietnam, Indonesia and India. Great Wall agreed in January to buy a GM vehicle plant in India, a transaction expected to be completed by the second half of 2020.

Like Britain, Australia and New Zealand are right-hand drive markets. With sales of GM's Australian Holden brand plummeting, the company could not justify the investment to continue building right-hand drive vehicles, GM President Mark Reuss said in Sunday's statement.

GREAT WALL GOING ABROAD

Great Wall, one of China's biggest sport-utility vehicle makers, said it will sell cars from the Thai manufacturing plant in Thailand, other ASEAN bloc countries and Australia as it seeks global expansion amid a slowing domestic market.

"Such an acquisition could give Great Wall quick access to the ASEAN market, and Thailand is a good choice for its production base amid the country's established supply chain in the automotive industry," Shi Ji, analyst at Haitong Internation told Reuters.

The firm, which is building a car plant with BMW <BMWG.DE>, sold 1.06 million cars last year, including 65,175 units for export.

"There is no choice, if we don't go global, we will not survive," Wei Jianjun, chairman of the Baoding-based automaker, said last year when Great Wall opened its first full assembly plant in Russia.In January, Great Wall signed an agreement to buy GM's car plant in India. The companies said they expected the transaction would be completed by the second half of 2020.

Great Wall rival Geely [GEELY.UL] is also looking to expand its car sales across the ASEAN region with Malaysia-based brand Proton.

2 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

Those Datsun are indestructible......

Yep.

The slow torture is relentless and goes on for years.

As a died in the wool Holden owner I was more than happy with every Holden I owned. More than that Holden is an historic icon for automotive lovers. As much as I didn't want to see it end once they ceased production in Australia I believe they should have retired the name gracefully. Smacking the badge on anything they chose to import was disrespectful and I'm happy to see it pass into history with dignity. And now maybe my CV8 will appreciate in value! 😁

1 hour ago, Stump said:

Like Britain, Australia and New Zealand are right-hand drive markets. With sales of GM's Australian Holden brand plummeting, the company could not justify the investment to continue building right-hand drive vehicles, GM President Mark Reuss said in Sunday's statement.

This statement from gm as a reason is bollocks. Even for our small market makers here were making cars fir either Lhd or rhd markets ...in this day and age of flexible plant whether making lhd or lhd or even different variants is not at all an issue ...

Apparently, ScoMo is very angry after $2bn handouts to GMH.

Strange that government didn't have any T&C to GMH when money was handed out?

52 minutes ago, vinilink said:

Apparently, ScoMo is very angry after $2bn handouts to GMH.

Like for example, the funds could not be repatriated back to the US if they decided to cease operations, as opposed to being returned to the taxpayer.

How this was allowed to happen still boggles my mind.

https://www.afr.com/companies/manufacturing/holden-sends-150-million-back-to-general-motors-in-detroit-as-closure-looms-20170127-gtzs1q

quote - A spokesman for General Motors Holden said the capital return was "part of normal, ongoing financial management".

Edited by TDK

sorry for quoting myself:

On 10/03/2019 at 2:03 PM, zippi said:

Holden here to stay - my ar*se!!

1 hour ago, crisis said:

...once they ceased production in Australia I believe they should have retired the name gracefully.

fully agree @crisis

1 hour ago, vinilink said:

12 minutes ago, TDK said:

Like for example, the funds could not be repatriated back to the US if they decided to cease operations, as opposed to being returned to the taxpayer.

How this was allowed to happen still boggles my mind.

@vinilink @TDK whatever the government of the day - multinationals have them in their back pocket (through donations, media etc...) hence can (and do) dictate the terms. People of Australia don't even get a look in re govts acting in the best interest of the people. Any of us. At any point in time and under any government in the last 30-40 years. If any action / decision actually benefited the people/was in Australian interest - it was sheer luck more than anything else and a "concession" that was seen as having had to take place....

GM are in trouble and they know it. The European / Jap cars are taking over the world. We will eventually see GM founder or at least cut right back their production even more.

Holden doesn't make a good small car and suv locally. They didn't change with the times. Very sad day. My dad's EH when restored is going to be an eye opener.

Tough times ahead. 

Ford's gracious response....

In a two-part post on Twitter late on Monday, Ford Australia wrote: “All of us here at Ford Australia are saddened to hear the news that Holden will cease operations. Holden is an iconic brand that holds a special place in the heart of many Australians, and has done so much to shape the Australian automotive industry and the country.”

The second part of Ford’s Twitter post said: “(Holden’s) vehicles have been worthy competitors both on road and on the racetrack. To our friends at Holden, thank you for keeping us on our toes and inspiring us to keep aiming higher. We will miss you.”

https://www.caradvice.com.au/827597/ford-pays-respects-to-fallen-rival-holden/

All good, me and my two Koreans won’t miss them. 

6 hours ago, Sime said:

All good, me and my two Koreans won’t miss them. 

Same. Me and my Toyota's won't miss either Ford or Holden but had some fine memories from my youth, first car being the HR.

Edited by Sansui77

I still miss my FJ, and my EK, and my EH, and my HZ... nearly forgot the VT,  but yeah I'm still Feelin it, in me Toyota Troopy.

I suspect Ford won't be far behind. Dropping the Territory was as big an issue as dropping the Falcon. I'm not seeing many Mustangs on the road and there are now better dual cabs than the Ranger/BT50 and the Everest is dual cab turned into a SUV, stupid engineering decision but I guess it saved money.

I'm looking out on a decent sized car park (over an acre) it's still early but I can only see 4 Holdens and only 2 Fords (both of which are discontinued models). Both brands are basically dead here