PHO-700 Vs PHO-8

It looks like the sale of my surplus gear has given me the choice to pick between the PHO-700 and the PHO-8.

Is the 700 just a 8 with a double triode or is it significantly better?

Both are on special at the moment and are very well priced.

The cartridges I'll be using are a Shure V15 III with SAS stylus on 1 TT and an AT OC-9 III on another.

Cheers

Steve

PHO-701 with a few upgrades like USB connectivity (ripping records to digital files for example) is out and should be hitting our shores soon. I would think the 700 should drop in proce significantly.

14 minutes ago, URHYNS said:

PHO-701 with a few upgrades like USB connectivity (ripping records to digital files for example) is out and should be hitting our shores soon. I would think the 700 should drop in proce significantly.

Don't know if thats an upgrade, but the PHO700 being cheaper is.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Spider27 said:

How about this one, http://puremusicgroup.com/cart/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=607&review=read#read_review ?

I believe that a member from here said that Sensor2 is same level as Primare R32 and it seems quite cheaper..

Found that. It was @katattack74  Hope he does not mind being quoted. :) 

10 minutes ago, Batty said:

Is there a pure music group rep in Adelaide?

Hope a member from here to confirm that  for you. And love to know how it stacks against F117 Nighthawk and Primare R32. The RCM sensor 2 price seem very competitive if it can compete with the other two.  

I use the pho-8 for 6 months daily , and had listened to the 700 , to be honest I couldn't hear much difference or sense any subtle changes . I didn't like the gimmicky lights that acted like glowing tubes , but hey that's my thing  . I'm actually waiting for a nighthawk to arrive next week and hoping to have some positive changes over the pho-8 , the pho-8 is a great phono and I would buy one again if situations change and cash becomes a threat . 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Diynamic said:

I use the pho-8 for 6 months daily , and had listened to the 700 , to be honest I couldn't hear much difference or sense any subtle changes . I didn't like the gimmicky lights that acted like glowing tubes , but hey that's my thing  . I'm actually waiting for a nighthawk to arrive next week and hoping to have some positive changes over the pho-8 , the pho-8 is a great phono and I would buy one again if situations change and cash becomes a threat . 

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback on Pho8 & 700. Look forward to hear your thoughts on nighthawk. I was told that there is not much difference between nighthawk and Pho8 in terms of sonic quality if Cart is MM but the difference comes when the cart is MC since nighthawk has much more control.

22 minutes ago, Spider27 said:

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback on Pho8 & 700. Look forward to hear your thoughts on nighthawk. I was told that there is not much difference between nighthawk and Pho8 in terms of sonic quality if Cart is MM but the difference comes when the cart is MC since nighthawk has much more control.

I really hope there is a difference haha , I'm still using a black 2m cart , so hopefully that can push it 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Batty said:

I'm wondering if my system has enough resolution to be able to hear a difference between the 700 and the 8.

Considering the price difference and by the sounds of what @Diynamic said earlier, just get the pho-8:).....it is seriously good for it's cost!

Edited by stevoz

Hi Batty,
I had the Nighthawk for a year or two and found it to be a great all rounder. Quiet too...
Many options on it.
Re the Sensor. I think we are talking in quite another league. Price and performance.
That’s if we are talking about the same product.

6 minutes ago, Kensell21 said:

Hi Batty,
I had the Nighthawk for a year or two and found it to be a great all rounder. Quiet too...
Many options on it.
Re the Sensor. I think we are talking in quite another league. Price and performance.
That’s if we are talking about the same product.

is Sensor this one? http://puremusicgroup.com/cart/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=607&review=read#read_review

I must been confused because it is only $500 which is cheaper than RSA Nighthawk or Pho700