Need a good home theater system

Hi everyone,

I am from Melbourne.

I am new here and has a question. I has a small room 4m x 4m and has a setup 7.1 surround speakers with projector benq. Ceiling is 2.8m high. Speakers are yamaha and i am not very happy with the sound, the effect does not sound like in a cinema. I remeber it is YHT896AUB.

The 2 rear speakers very much on top of the viewing lounge so i can convert settings to 5.2.1 atmos. Also I can move the chair bit further back when i watch movie. As it will block the front door.

What would you suggest me for a good setup home theater 5.2.1 atmos but not overpower, clear sound from surround speakers, good center speaker and sub woofer. Would like to buy preown speakers which still in good conditions.

My budget is around $2000 including receiver.

I tested my friend setup with paradigm series 6 and denon receiver atmos. They sound good but not sure if there is other options to suit my budget and deliver good result.

Many thanks for your advice.

James

Edited by Hidetoshi

I think these would do a nice job, the speakers have built in subs. Comes with centre. With a sub thrown in. Subs probably not much good but the fronts and centre would be nice. (The tweeter dent on the centre can easily be fixed.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F162684755430

• Thanks 1

Hi James, 

I think your budget of $2000 should mostly be spent in priority -> speakers, sub, receiver.

Second-hand rough pricing break down.

Speakers - $1000

Sub - $500

Receiver - $500

I would look at speakers up to a RRP of around $5000. That way you can hear what more money gets you. I started with the Klipsch Quintet 5.1 system that was ~$1500 and it was fantastic. But for bigger sound you need a bigger woofer size.

Narrow down speakers you're interested in down to a handful. Go audition speakers in comparison to each other at a hifi store and bring your own DVD or CD to test. You can do the same thing and compare subs.

• Thanks 1

Thanks.

My room is 4m x 4m so bigger sound is not neccesary. The more details, clear is better in my sittuation.

I just checked the B&W 385 not the S2 but not sure they are good in HT. Also i heard the Monitors Audio silver 6 and Klipsch before but not quite like them. Deffinetly the more money spend the better sound system you get. The retails price are rediculous so i may looking for old speakers in my price range.

What I should also have said is by going bigger, it's not just a louder volume, but a fuller sound.

I don't believe there's a difference between HT vs music speakers. They are all speakers with their own sound signatures. 

It's good that you've heard a few speakers and know what you don't like. That helps eliminate similar sounding speakers. But really you'd have to hear it in person as there are so many variables.

Going with older models is a great way to save money!

If you had a $2000 budget I'd say buy my Focal Chorus speakers! :P

Hi

I don't really think you will get the 'sound of a cinema' in the circumstances you have.

With careful setup of your system it may be improved, have you run the audio calibration?

Are the front speakers too close to the back wall, do you have the seating position too far back so as not to allow the rear speakers to work more efficiently.

Are you getting reflection from hard surfaces in the room.

There are many things that could cause the problem you state, but first look at the no cost fixes on proper setup and go from there.

JJ

Hi everyone,
I am from Melbourne.
I am new here and has a question. I has a small room 4m x 4m and has a setup 7.1 surround speakers with projector benq. Ceiling is 2.8m high. Speakers are yamaha and i am not very happy with the sound, the effect does not sound like in a cinema. I remeber it is YHT896AUB.
The 2 rear speakers very much on top of the viewing lounge so i can convert settings to 5.2.1 atmos. Also I can move the chair bit further back when i watch movie. As it will block the front door.

What would you suggest me for a good setup home theater 5.2.1 atmos but not overpower, clear sound from surround speakers, good center speaker and sub woofer. Would like to buy preown speakers which still in good conditions.
My budget is around $2000 including receiver.

I tested my friend setup with paradigm series 6 and denon receiver atmos. They sound good but not sure if there is other options to suit my budget and deliver good result.

Many thanks for your advice.
James
I had a Yamaha rx3000 with b&w cm2 and centre and b&w in ceiling across the rear ...3 of the as it was done for the old 5.1 and then 7.1...and a sub 12inch...it was like cinema sound and the room was around 5.5 x 3.5 with 2.5 ceilings...the bass made the big diff...but it really varied depending on the movie and it's sound
All my gear I sold second hand early this year and would have easily fit your budget
Mind you ...I have a different system for music.
So I do not think that spending huge amounts is the answer but fitting it all together
Good luck and enjoy !
  • Like 1

I had a Yamaha rx3000 with b&w cm2 and centre and b&w in ceiling across the rear ...3 of the as it was done for the old 5.1 and then 7.1...and a sub 12inch...it was like cinema sound and the room was around 5.5 x 3.5 with 2.5 ceilings...the bass made the big diff...but it really varied depending on the movie and it's sound
All my gear I sold second hand early this year and would have easily fit your budget
Mind you ...I have a different system for music.
So I do not think that spending huge amounts is the answer but fitting it all together
Good luck and enjoy !
Thanks Toyboyo,
I think the Yamaha rx3000 is a good choice and in my finance budget. I am looking for a second hand now. Thanks for your suggest.

hello. my opinions are based on my very basic 2 HT rooms (7x4x3mhigh... 4x4x3m high) with all 2nd hand gear.

avr.. i have bought and tried the following.. denon avr's 3801, 890, x2100, 3808, 4308, 4311..... yamaha rxv3075 (avantage rxa3030 equivalent 1 model before atmos)

i kept the 4311 in my larger room and the 4308 in the smaller room (i could easily have kept the 4308 in the big room ) i could easily have kept the 3808 on the smaller room.. all the others were sold as they did not surpass the units kept.

you talk about atmos? but non of these units can do atmos and the yammy 3000 definately can not (from 2003)

if you want atmos there are many 2nd hand units. dont worry about the inflated prices some want because they just wont get the money.. ie there is a yammy rxa3040 (atmos only ) on at $1800... now the last sales of this model in the last 18 months are pushing to get $1200. in fact i know a rxa3050 with atmos/dtsx sold for $1050

if you want an old but well made unit there is a denon 3808 for $400 (most sell for $300)

you need to decide if you want atmos etc or not.

speakers.. i only use klipsch which always seem to go better with a denon avr. i have used aaron but the sound was not what i liked (with denon or yamaha avrs)

so many 2nd hand speakers around but you need to audition them before buying, same with most of the stuff. i have never auditioned an avr actually, lucky maybe, but i only buy if they have the original box.. not sure why but never had a problem.

your room is better imo for a 5.1 set up. a good set up will not leave you wanting. you could even try 2 smaller 10" subs instead of 1 12" sub for more even bass in the room. both my rooms have 2 subs for this reason. so many 2nd hand its not a problem imo.

hello. my opinions are based on my very basic 2 HT rooms (7x4x3mhigh... 4x4x3m high) with all 2nd hand gear.
avr.. i have bought and tried the following.. denon avr's 3801, 890, x2100, 3808, 4308, 4311..... yamaha rxv3075 (avantage rxa3030 equivalent 1 model before atmos)
i kept the 4311 in my larger room and the 4308 in the smaller room (i could easily have kept the 4308 in the big room ) i could easily have kept the 3808 on the smaller room.. all the others were sold as they did not surpass the units kept.
you talk about atmos? but non of these units can do atmos and the yammy 3000 definately can not (from 2003)
if you want atmos there are many 2nd hand units. dont worry about the inflated prices some want because they just wont get the money.. ie there is a yammy rxa3040 (atmos only ) on at $1800... now the last sales of this model in the last 18 months are pushing to get $1200. in fact i know a rxa3050 with atmos/dtsx sold for $1050
if you want an old but well made unit there is a denon 3808 for $400 (most sell for $300)
you need to decide if you want atmos etc or not.

speakers.. i only use klipsch which always seem to go better with a denon avr. i have used aaron but the sound was not what i liked (with denon or yamaha avrs)
so many 2nd hand speakers around but you need to audition them before buying, same with most of the stuff. i have never auditioned an avr actually, lucky maybe, but i only buy if they have the original box.. not sure why but never had a problem.

your room is better imo for a 5.1 set up. a good set up will not leave you wanting. you could even try 2 smaller 10" subs instead of 1 12" sub for more even bass in the room. both my rooms have 2 subs for this reason. so many 2nd hand its not a problem imo.
Thanks hopefullyguy,

I think I will go for yammy as it is cheaper than onkyo and denon. I also like atmos as my room was built for that. I cant run all the cable to different setup now as it is double storage and ht room is downstairs. The rx3070 is good however it is hard to find old unit.

hmm you seem to be talking about a current model new release yammy rxa3070.. $3000, now about a $750 onkyo. very different units

as for the onkyo you are better off getting the 656 next model up as a refurb from http://www.excelhifi.com.au/audio-visual-receivers/

it has a full 3 year warranty for the same money.

link to those base level onkyos and their differences.. http://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/onkyo-a-v-receivers-2016

but will they do 5.1 in your room.. yes they will.. will it be good? depends on what you call good. its different to each person.. my 9 year old denon does "good" in my 4x4 room or i wouldnt use it. but that is "good" to my ears.

Edited by hopefullguy

Yeah, caused it just pop up from the site and it is in my budget. :). And it is new under warranty.

Other options was still high end 2nd hand one which i hope can get around $1000. Not expected over the top high end however middle range pre use still good. 

Yeah, caused it just pop up from the site and it is in my budget. :). And it is new under warranty.

Other options was still high end 2nd hand one which i hope can get around $1000. Not expected over the top high end however middle range pre use still good.