Santana- Woodstock Vinyl 2017 release

Grumpy

There appears to be a few different Santana full Woodstock  concert LP's.

I have not heard them but I do have woodstock volumes one and two.

Playing the Santana track off volume one ,Soul Sacrifice, now and it has great sq.

Thanks for the prompt to play it.

• Like 1

I have the Woodstock OST vinyl and Santana Woodstock Experience of 2009 https://www.allmusic.com/album/the-woodstock-experience-mw0000820334

It is 2CD with the S/T album.  The woodstock cd runs for 45 min so would be about right for an LP.

It includes the distortion in the opening track and then they managed to calm it in the next track.  It returns at the end also.  AFAIK this is genuine to the original Santana Woodstock live set. 

@Grumpy can you be more accurate about the " this 2017 vinyl release " you're referring to please.

It looks like the 2009 Santana Woodstock Experience on vinyl.

The CD is OK but it's impossible to tell whether the listed mastering of the vinyl is right or not, given the CD details are now so often just transferred across to the LP covers.

Interesting release even if the vinyl source is unknown.

I like the idea of early Santana but actually don't get around to listen to it much.  Think I've got about 5 LPs.

• Like 1

Well ! gotta say im not happy. The record looked unclean and scuffed straight out of its paper sleave and it is very noisy .

SQ was alright for a recorded outdoor gig but it lacked bass impact and never really drew me into the event like the enormous sounds off the DVD do. As l said the vinyl is very noisy, so much so, that l might take it back to JBs tomorrow.

PS. also bought George Ezra's,  Wanted On Voyage picture disc vinyl at the same time and played it straight after the Santana LP which really showed up the poorer sound of the Santana LP .  You wouln't believe it that the very last trak on side B on th Ezra album kept popping and jumping - a quick look and l find a small 'divet' which l couldn't remove.  Holy CRAP I' m not happy  .These are suppose to be new records, not bloody worn out used shite.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grumpy said:

Well ! gotta say im not happy. The record looked unclean and scuffed straight out of its paper sleave and it is very noisy .

SQ was alright for a recorded outdoor gig but it lacked bass impact and never really drew me into the event like the enormous sounds off the DVD do. As l said the vinyl is very noisy, so much so, that l might take it back to JBs tomorrow.

PS. also bought George Ezra's,  Wanted On Voyage picture disc vinyl at the same time and played it straight after the Santana LP which really showed up the poorer sound of the Santana LP .  You wouln't believe it that the very last trak on side B on th Ezra album kept popping and jumping - a quick look and l find a small 'divet' which l couldn't remove.  Holy CRAP I' m not happy  .These are suppose to be new records, not bloody worn out used shite.

No, it's enough to make you Grumpy, and far too common on new pressings.   It might help a bit if they stopped putting them in scratchy paper sleeves !

The Legacy pressings I've got have usually been good but I don't remember seeing any made at MPO (France I think).  Discogs has the US and the Euro both as MPO.

Give them both back to the shop if you can face it.  (or smash them up into bits and send them back to the label with a note). 

I'm going to take it off my shopping list.

Just had a quick review of a low MP3 I have of the 2009 digital release and it sounds like a fair bit of live distortion. Although I'm surprised how often I hear intended fuzziness by Carlos when I imagine his tone as being very sharp it's not just on the guitar.

I have read that there is an earlier Santana at Woodstock release but it does not include Evil Ways.  I don't know the release or if it's on vinyl either sorry.

Took em back and came home with 2 CDs - Lukas Graham and Rag`n`Bone Man    :   Rag`n`Bone Man CD- $13

- the vinyl would have cost me over $50 - ??????

Edited by Grumpy

On 10/21/2017 at 5:36 PM, Grumpy said:

Interesting . Great sq on the original Woodstock LP. But obviously just cashing in on the vinyl boom with a cheap pressing now. 

13 minutes ago, EV Cali said:

Interesting . Great sq on the original Woodstock LP. But obviously just cashing in on the vinyl boom with a cheap pressing now. 

SQ wise That is only the one track.  The best one.  That's why it's on there. 

Pressing QC. Agreed.