Perils of focusing too much on gear

13 minutes ago, allthumbs said:

I am a terrible sleeper. I have an AM/FM small pocket transistor radio that I jam under my pillow so when I am awake I listen to predominately ABC RN.  The other night I was listening to The Music Show with Andrew Ford and he had Robbie Fulks talking and performing, and I felt that thrill of hearing for me, a new artist and the last thing on my mind was the system. Go figure. The week before it was a Palestinian Israeli pianist who favours Bechstein over Steinway pianos and I almost imagined I could hear the difference.

All progress I have made technically in regards to reproducing sound over decades has done nothing to ignite the same fervor or excitement  I experienced during my youth listening to an AM radio in a car or playing new albums on a picnic spinner.

I appreciate the fidelity of my system as it stands now apart from the growing number of connectivity options and meeting future musical formats which primarily hardware upgrades.

Trying to be brutally honest with myself through listening I have fallen into the "an amp is an amp" school of thought.

Speakers are the main game, the only game in town.

Saw Robbie Fulks in Melbourne last week

great performance

very funny guy apart from anything else

4 minutes ago, keyse1 said:

Saw Robbie Fulks in Melbourne last week

great performance

very funny guy apart from anything else

Why on Earth did I not know of this guy? I've checked him out on youtube he's hilarious.  Nice guitar player, smart, intelligent, kind of a cross between James Taylor and Loudon Wainwright.  The Music Show is great for unearthing not only talent you have never heard of but genius as well.

Isn't it all different sides of the same coin? 

I'm surprised there isn't a forum quiz/survey to fill out on signing up, to give you a "profile". Questions with a 1 to 10 rating, so you could see how strongly you were behind questions like "how important is xxxx".

I'm sure you'll end up with people at both ends of the spectrum that believe in big libraries, quality DACs, only vinyl, and headphones, all in varying degrees.

With reference to the original poster's thoughts: that's just a small microcosm of the big picture. The variable is BUDGET, as well as a willingness to part with said amount. If you got a new job paying double, or hit lotto, your view on the best use of the $4k would surely change.

• Like 1