Sign in to follow this  
muzzagruzz

Legend Acoustics Kurre 9 - Review

Have only heard his active speakers one time at the Melbourne HiFi show some years ago. Would very much like to have a long listening session some time in the future. Perhaps with the ISR’s and some SACD’s. 

On 12/14/2017 at 9:15 PM, muzzagruzz said:

Really glad you’re enjoying them. I can listen to these for hours and hours. I’d urge you to try them with an amp that has solid current delivery - the difference will astonish you.  Also, give Nordost speaker cables a run as I find they add to the sound. Even if you can borrow them from someone. I’m using the Red Dawn with Norse jumper cables - excellent! 

Thank mate.  I keep being surprised, so definitely open to trying some more advanced gear.  Budget permitting...

On 05/12/2017 at 2:14 PM, AudioGeek said:

Selling direct is much better than through trafitional retailers. Keeps the prices down, with no middle men.

Let me ask, do you drive an Oz made car?

Yeah,  but you loose the ability to compare different speakers. If you go to try a particular speak and try it at his house(this does happen) you compare his speakers to his speakers. The whole reason for retailers is the ability to try different equipment. On many occasions I've played 5 or more different brands to people. And I've had customers spend days listening to equipment to then try and buy them direct. Is that fair.? I heatd one retailet say we should charge for demo time which of course is laughable, then I had a couole listen to some speakers and right in front of me they went online on their smartphones to find a cheaper price. What price 3 hours of my time & tying up the demo space? Didn't even thank me on their way out! Sorry I'm so passionate about this,  but I've even worse stories about customer abuse. 

Lol, i cant remember the context of my words you have quoted.

Sorry to hear of your issues in audio retail - everyone seems to have that problem, particularly with imported products. Definitely an information age phenomenon. I understand your frustration.

I love and support Australian made speakers, my last 4 sets being local. Which shop can I compare Legend/VAF/Osborne/Hulgich etc.? 

Will it sound the same in my space with my own gear?

If there is so much of an advantage selling through retailers how come our local manufacturers dont do it? 

How much would it add to their prices,  and would they lose their value advantage?

New models of sales are needed....

29 minutes ago, AudioGeek said:

Lol, i cant remember the context of my words you have quoted.

Sorry to hear of your issues in audio retail - everyone seems to have that problem, particularly with imported products. Definitely an information age phenomenon. I understand your frustration.

I love and support Australian made speakers, my last 4 sets being local. Which shop can I compare Legend/VAF/Osborne/Hulgich etc.? 

Will it sound the same in my space with my own gear?

If there is so much of an advantage selling through retailers how come our local manufacturers dont do it? 

How much would it add to their prices,  and would they lose their value advantage?

New models of sales are needed....

Actually if you choose one of the brands you mention and spend your budget, you will have the best speaker available in OZ for you. 

To shine a sportlight on how honest & direct Dr Rod of Legend is, I played him the Dynaudio C4's and his comment was, he said if he could make a speaker like that he'd be a happy man, but they're 3 times the cost of his most expensive. 

Greg Osbourne on the other hand without hearing the same speakers response was -not bad fot a surround. No wonder the retailer I was associated with dumped Osbourne as a brand,  but still support Legend. 

Dr Ron is definitely a Legend.

Greg has his own style, but is a local audio icon as well.

Indeed he is. I'm proud to have the prototype big reds. When my house was burgled a few years back, the big Legends had been move towards the door, but l think they gave up because of sheer weight. These a one peice, not like the current ones which are two boxes each side. 

You got me thinking - in the audio game I dont think I have met a more humble, genuine or honest man than Dr Ron.

Iam sure if it was an armed robbery: "take everything! Just leave the speakers.. ." :lol:

14 minutes ago, AudioGeek said:

You got me thinking - in the audio game I dont think I have met a more humble, genuine or honest man than Dr Ron.

Iam sure if it was an armed robbery: "take everything! Just leave the speakers.. ." :lol:

As I've said in these forums before, he the only designer/distributor I've invited to my house. When he came in to do an upgrade or play somthing new or in progress, he'd always ask if I can somthing special to listen to. 

1 hour ago, Magicdog said:

To shine a sportlight on how honest & direct Dr Rod of Legend is, I played him the Dynaudio C4's and his comment was, he said if he could make a speaker like that he'd be a happy man, but they're 3 times the cost of his most expensive. 

Greg Osbourne on the other hand without hearing the same speakers response was -not bad fot a surround. No wonder the retailer I was associated with dumped Osbourne as a brand,  but still support Legend. 

Dr Crawford certainly succeeded in making a speaker as good as Dynaudio.  In fact, I’ll argue that he’s made a better one.  I recently listened to the Dynaudio Special 40’s powered by a Moon integrated with a Yamaha CD-S1000 and hated the sound they produced.  The imaging of the 40’s was excellent but the high frequencies were so pushed forward it was like being slapped in the face by the vocalist.  The music was so bad I thought either this was a bad sample or the design was seriously flawed.  They were that bad!!  For a 4.5K speaker you have to wonder how they got it so wrong? 

The redeeming feature of the 40’s is the absolutely gorgeous finish and stunning build quality.  However, this means nothing if the sound isn’t right. 

Kurre 9’s @ less than half the 40’s price is astonishing.  I was lucky to pick them up for the special Sydney HiFi price of 20% off.  Would love to play them to a Dynaudio 40’s owner.  I’ll probably see them weeping before too long. 

NB: I didn’t go into the retailer’s store just to listen to the Dyns and waste their time, I did actually go there to buy some headphones.  

Edited by muzzagruzz

15 minutes ago, muzzagruzz said:

Dr Crawford certainly succeeded in making a speaker as good as Dynaudio.  In fact, I’ll argue that he’s made a better one.  I recently listened to the Dynaudio Special 40’s powered by a Moon integrated with a Yamaha CD-S1000 and hated the sound they produced.  The imaging of the 40’s was excellent but the high frequencies were so pushed forward it was like being slapped in the face by the vocalist.  The music was so bad I thought either this was a bad sample or the design was seriously flawed.  They were that bad!!  For a 4.5K speaker you have to wonder how they got it so wrong? 

The redeeming feature of the 40’s is the absolutely gorgeous finish and stunning build quality.  However, this means nothing if the sound isn’t right. 

Kurre 9’s @ less than half the 40’s price is astonishing.  I was lucky to pick them up for the special Sydney HiFi price of 20% off.  Would love to play them to a Dynaudio 40’s owner.  I’ll probably see them weeping before too long. 

NB: I didn’t go into the retailer’s store just to listen to the Dyns and waste their time, I did actually go there to buy some headphones.  

Firstly, the C4 and special 40's are in a different league their over $40k now. Likewise dyns are notoriously needing a crazy long run in time. I sold more contour 1.3se than anyone (still a much higher end spk) and I always offered to give the at least a couple of hundred hours prior to delivery. I also worry about the newer dyns since they are now primarily a chinese co. 

The 40’s I listened to had been run in rather well, or so I’d been told.  It was actually the second time I’d listened to this pair with some weeks between sessions. 

With respect to price, high price doesn’t always guarantee high SQ.  I’d be happy to compare the Tikandi Grande Be next to Dynaudio C4’s.  I think it has been well established that Australian speakers punch well above their weight. 

1 hour ago, muzzagruzz said:

But, muzz - I read that you're an ME fanboi ... so you're hearing must be suspect!  :lol:

Andy

32 minutes ago, muzzagruzz said:

The 40’s I listened to had been run in rather well, or so I’d been told.  It was actually the second time I’d listened to this pair with some weeks between sessions. 

With respect to price, high price doesn’t always guarantee high SQ.  I’d be happy to compare the Tikandi Grande Be next to Dynaudio C4’s.  I think it has been well established that Australian speakers punch well above their weight. 

I actually own the prototype big reds, the precurser to the tikandi and if you see my ealier post,  I played the C4 to Legends dr Rod, a good friend, and his comment was that if he could design a speaker that good he'd die a happy man. So don't be too quick to judge,  the C4 needs really careful matching & setup, and I've been a supporter of Rod's for 18 years. If the designer conceeds that they are an amazing speaker, id take that on board. Love my Legends though. Some of my close friends have bought Legends from me and one musy be very cautious selling to friends. 

19 minutes ago, andyr said:

But, muzz - I read that you're an ME fanboi ... so you're hearing must be suspect!  :lol:

Andy

So true Andy, never listen to the opinion of an ME fanboi!  They are clearly delusional.  :blink: