Legend Acoustics Kurre 9 - Review

I sort of hope that people in this hobby eventually get to the stage where they view marketing with a healthy skepticism, and trust their own opinion and ears. Locally produced hi-fi in this day and age is very appealing if you ask me.

Edited by was_a
  • Like 1

Some real reasons Dr Rod's speakers don't sell in the thousands (IMO)--

:(The serious hi-fi market is very small.

:(Overseas brands are often owned by/associated with huge conglomerates and have major marketing budgets as well as decades of 'head-start' in reputation.

:)Once Australians start looking for local products they soon realise that we do speakers (and much else) exceptionally well and the choice of excellent products is quite large.

We are very lucky.:)

• Like 3

Are you sure about point 3? It'd be nice to think so, but I'm convinced that the majority of local shoppers still gravitate to Big Hifi-ma - that well-financed image-conscious publicity-driven monopoly whose overpriced brands are designed to stand out in the showroom. Where 'treble-lift', 'detailed', 'punchy-bass', 'advertising campaign', 'five-star review' are the coveted catchphrases.

Australian manufacturers would benefit greatly if local retailers supported them by stocking their products.  Sure, retailers can’t stock all brands but why can’t they make an effort to support at least one or two local brands?

There is no reason why Australian speaker manufacturers can’t/shouldn’t outsell imported brands.  It’s not just the fault of retailers, of course, the consuming public needs to change their perceptions of home grown product. 

If local companies want to compete in the larger arena then they have to provide samples of their products for review in local, international magazines (or is that 'zines nowadays) and blogs etc.  Most don't and so suffer.  Or you can say that the locals can find hidden gems.

The other issue for small manufacturers is support - if a product malfunctions then they have to have a network of affiliates to help, that adds to the cost.  So does shipping, customs, regulations, legal and marketing.

Almost all the countries I regularly visit have a good selection of home-grown product that doesn't make it to Australia, or if it does it is expensive - same goes going the other way.  Small companies operating in small economies (relative to say N.America, Europe or F.East) don't usually have a lot of spare cash/time.

42 minutes ago, was_a said:

Hardly a valid comparison considering Australia no longer manufactures cars!

Yeah Frankn, there are many hidden gems in smaller countries. I guess that's why forums such as SNA are so important.

Well, we did make cars till a few months ago. Iam guessing you dont or never have owned an oz made car as you chose not to answer?

Many reasons why we no longer manufacture cars here, the public didnt buy what was on offer being a key one. There was a big shift towards foreign made cars.

23 hours ago, was_a said:

Are you sure about point 3? It'd be nice to think so, but I'm convinced that the majority of local shoppers still gravitate to Big Hifi-ma - that well-financed image-conscious publicity-driven monopoly whose overpriced brands are designed to stand out in the showroom. Where 'treble-lift', 'detailed', 'punchy-bass', 'advertising campaign', 'five-star review' are the coveted catchphrases.

Lots of judgements about people here! 

5 hours ago, AudioGeek said:

Well, we did make cars till a few months ago. Iam guessing you dont or never have owned an oz made car as you chose not to answer?

Many reasons why we no longer manufacture cars here, the public didnt buy what was on offer being a key one. There was a big shift towards foreign made cars.

Lots of judgements about people here! 

It’s not meant to be a thread about judging anyone. It’s meant to be about the Legend Kurre speakers but as is usual on this site, conversations take a different tack. 

So, let’s hear from other Kurre owners or Legend speaker owners. Would most welcome the opinion of other users of the brand. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, was_a said:

Yeah sorry, wandered off track. It's just that I really feel for people like Rod who design such wonderful gear and reap relatively small reward.

No probs Bob :thumb: I hear you, however, on the upside there are many Australians that are sitting at home in front of their stereos enjoying Legend speakers. 

Hi There Muzzagruz,

just got my new Kurre 9 and immediately installed them.  They sound fantastic but I find that I have to raise the volume quite a bit compared to other speakers (Mordaunt Short floorstanders).  Was this your experience too?  Thanks in advance.

guillaume

Howdy, 

Congrats on receiving them. Having to turn the volume up more is due to the relatively low efficiency of the speaker. For the reason, read the review for the Kurre 8’s which is linked on Legend’s website. 

I have to do the same as my Kurre’s are being driven by a Luxman integrated that doesn’t have a lot of current delivery.  The ME amps, on the other hand, have an abundance of current delivery so don’t have to be turned up as much. 

I'm going to have a listen to these on the weekend.  Still unsure whether I'll go for a studio monitor setup or bookshelf but perhaps the latter as it won't be a dedicated music room (maybe lounge, maybe dinning room, maybe I'll move house).  These certainly look much nicer in my opinion.

The advice is always to let your ears judge but what exactly should I be listening for?  I've got a pair of LSR305's and they're better than my previous kmart stereo but truth be told, I was happy with it at the time.

5 hours ago, RichMurphy said:

I'm going to have a listen to these on the weekend.  Still unsure whether I'll go for a studio monitor setup or bookshelf but perhaps the latter as it won't be a dedicated music room (maybe lounge, maybe dinning room, maybe I'll move house).  These certainly look much nicer in my opinion.

The advice is always to let your ears judge but what exactly should I be listening for?  I've got a pair of LSR305's and they're better than my previous kmart stereo but truth be told, I was happy with it at the time.

“What should I be listening for”? Well, firstly, do they reproduce music in a way that you like? Legend speakers, to my ears, produce music the way I think music should sound. 

You may or may not like them, won’t know until you sit down and listen for as long as you possibly can. 

Take music that you know really well along to the audition and, if possible, your amplifier.  Have fun. 

Edited by muzzagruzz

“What should I be listening for”? Well, firstly, do they reproduce music in a way that you like? Legend speakers, to my ears, produce music the way I think music should sound. 

You may or may not like them, won’t know until you sit down and listen for as long as you possibly can. 

Take music that you know really well along to the audition and, if possible, your amplifier.  Have fun. 
Ha amplifier.... yeah about that. Don't have one yet.

I'll have a listen. Not in a hurry but I love the idea of these speakers. All I know is compared to what I'm used to, everything in this bracket will sound amazing.

Should you choose the Kurre’s, be careful with the amplifier choice as it should decent current ability to get the best out of them. 

Think ME pre/power or an older Krell as these would excellent choices. Ideally, you would test them together to make sure they are compatible. 

Hi there,

I am a bit new to all this and my amplifier is just a NAD 356.  It seems plenty to drive these speakers, but I do have to turn it up a bit.  So one needs some power.  The benefit is the dynamic response: high to low, boom to quiet.

On the listening, I could not agree more.  It is as music should be. You definitely should bring music that you know, and better yet, bring records of music you heard live.  These days that really means classical or jazz. I heard Renee Fleming from 10m away, and she sounds just like that on these speakers. It is like Norah Jones is in your living room, or like the pianist is right there in your lounge.

With these speakers the money goes into the drivers, the crossovers and the cabinets. I find them incredible. My wife plays the piano and she loves them too.

Have fun!

guillaume

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, guillaume said:

Hi there,

I am a bit new to all this and my amplifier is just a NAD 356.  It seems plenty to drive these speakers, but I do have to turn it up a bit.  So one needs some power.  The benefit is the dynamic response: high to low, boom to quiet.

On the listening, I could not agree more.  It is as music should be. You definitely should bring music that you know, and better yet, bring records of music you heard live.  These days that really means classical or jazz. I heard Renee Fleming from 10m away, and she sounds just like that on these speakers. It is like Norah Jones is in your living room, or like the pianist is right there in your lounge.

With these speakers the money goes into the drivers, the crossovers and the cabinets. I find them incredible. My wife plays the piano and she loves them too.

Have fun!

guillaume

Really glad you’re enjoying them. I can listen to these for hours and hours. I’d urge you to try them with an amp that has solid current delivery - the difference will astonish you.  Also, give Nordost speaker cables a run as I find they add to the sound. Even if you can borrow them from someone. I’m using the Red Dawn with Norse jumper cables - excellent! 

On 14/12/2017 at 5:44 PM, muzzagruzz said:

Dr Rod is a friend of more than 17 years which he will happily confirm. Me and my dog (who didn't like him as he'll recall)  is one of the few invited to my house, and I  ended up with the prototype big Red to add too my collection(others being appogy, Proac,  MS & others) I like them a lot and have huge respect for his endeavours.

1 hour ago, Magicdog said:

Dr Rod is a friend of more than 17 years which he will happily confirm. Me and my dog (who didn't like him as he'll recall)  is one of the few invited to my house, and I  ended up with the prototype big Red to add too my collection(others being appogy, Proac,  MS & others) I like them a lot and have huge respect for his endeavours.

Those Big Reds must be a treasured possession. A pair of active or passive ISR’s is on the wish list but they will have to remain a wish for some time. 

I too, have great respect for Dr Rod’s products. Truly world class speakers. 

I’m hoping to add my review of the Kantu 8i’s, time permitting, during the break. 

Edited by muzzagruzz

I actually prefer the originals to the production models and Dr Rod knows this, you can ask him. I do prefer the Morel tweeter to the ceramic composite he used later. But he's a true  gentleman,  but like us all getting old. 

On 12/14/2017 at 9:15 PM, muzzagruzz said:

Really glad you’re enjoying them. I can listen to these for hours and hours. I’d urge you to try them with an amp that has solid current delivery - the difference will astonish you.  Also, give Nordost speaker cables a run as I find they add to the sound. Even if you can borrow them from someone. I’m using the Red Dawn with Norse jumper cables - excellent! 

Thank mate.  I keep being surprised, so definitely open to trying some more advanced gear.  Budget permitting...