muzzagruzz

Legend Acoustics Kurre 9 - Review

I sort of hope that people in this hobby eventually get to the stage where they view marketing with a healthy skepticism, and trust their own opinion and ears. Locally produced hi-fi in this day and age is very appealing if you ask me.

Edited by was_a

Some real reasons Dr Rod's speakers don't sell in the thousands (IMO)--

:(The serious hi-fi market is very small.

:(Overseas brands are often owned by/associated with huge conglomerates and have major marketing budgets as well as decades of 'head-start' in reputation.

:)Once Australians start looking for local products they soon realise that we do speakers (and much else) exceptionally well and the choice of excellent products is quite large.

We are very lucky.:)

Are you sure about point 3? It'd be nice to think so, but I'm convinced that the majority of local shoppers still gravitate to Big Hifi-ma - that well-financed image-conscious publicity-driven monopoly whose overpriced brands are designed to stand out in the showroom. Where 'treble-lift', 'detailed', 'punchy-bass', 'advertising campaign', 'five-star review' are the coveted catchphrases.

Australian manufacturers would benefit greatly if local retailers supported them by stocking their products.  Sure, retailers can’t stock all brands but why can’t they make an effort to support at least one or two local brands?

There is no reason why Australian speaker manufacturers can’t/shouldn’t outsell imported brands.  It’s not just the fault of retailers, of course, the consuming public needs to change their perceptions of home grown product. 

If local companies want to compete in the larger arena then they have to provide samples of their products for review in local, international magazines (or is that 'zines nowadays) and blogs etc.  Most don't and so suffer.  Or you can say that the locals can find hidden gems.

The other issue for small manufacturers is support - if a product malfunctions then they have to have a network of affiliates to help, that adds to the cost.  So does shipping, customs, regulations, legal and marketing.

Almost all the countries I regularly visit have a good selection of home-grown product that doesn't make it to Australia, or if it does it is expensive - same goes going the other way.  Small companies operating in small economies (relative to say N.America, Europe or F.East) don't usually have a lot of spare cash/time.

Selling direct is much better than through trafitional retailers. Keeps the prices down, with no middle men.

Let me ask, do you drive an Oz made car?

Hardly a valid comparison considering Australia no longer manufactures cars!

Yeah Frankn, there are many hidden gems in smaller countries. I guess that's why forums such as SNA are so important.

42 minutes ago, was_a said:

Hardly a valid comparison considering Australia no longer manufactures cars!

Yeah Frankn, there are many hidden gems in smaller countries. I guess that's why forums such as SNA are so important.

Well, we did make cars till a few months ago. Iam guessing you dont or never have owned an oz made car as you chose not to answer?

Many reasons why we no longer manufacture cars here, the public didnt buy what was on offer being a key one. There was a big shift towards foreign made cars.

23 hours ago, was_a said:

Are you sure about point 3? It'd be nice to think so, but I'm convinced that the majority of local shoppers still gravitate to Big Hifi-ma - that well-financed image-conscious publicity-driven monopoly whose overpriced brands are designed to stand out in the showroom. Where 'treble-lift', 'detailed', 'punchy-bass', 'advertising campaign', 'five-star review' are the coveted catchphrases.

Lots of judgements about people here! 

5 hours ago, AudioGeek said:

Well, we did make cars till a few months ago. Iam guessing you dont or never have owned an oz made car as you chose not to answer?

Many reasons why we no longer manufacture cars here, the public didnt buy what was on offer being a key one. There was a big shift towards foreign made cars.

Lots of judgements about people here! 

It’s not meant to be a thread about judging anyone. It’s meant to be about the Legend Kurre speakers but as is usual on this site, conversations take a different tack. 

So, let’s hear from other Kurre owners or Legend speaker owners. Would most welcome the opinion of other users of the brand. 

Yeah sorry, wandered off track. It's just that I really feel for people like Rod who design such wonderful gear and reap relatively small reward.

1 minute ago, was_a said:

Yeah sorry, wandered off track. It's just that I really feel for people like Rod who design such wonderful gear and reap relatively small reward.

No probs Bob :thumb: I hear you, however, on the upside there are many Australians that are sitting at home in front of their stereos enjoying Legend speakers. 

Hi There Muzzagruz,

just got my new Kurre 9 and immediately installed them.  They sound fantastic but I find that I have to raise the volume quite a bit compared to other speakers (Mordaunt Short floorstanders).  Was this your experience too?  Thanks in advance.

guillaume

Howdy, 

Congrats on receiving them. Having to turn the volume up more is due to the relatively low efficiency of the speaker. For the reason, read the review for the Kurre 8’s which is linked on Legend’s website. 

I have to do the same as my Kurre’s are being driven by a Luxman integrated that doesn’t have a lot of current delivery.  The ME amps, on the other hand, have an abundance of current delivery so don’t have to be turned up as much.