Lubricant oil for Thorens TD124

Just concern about lubricant oil to use with Thorens TD124, I do research on the internet and they recommend 3-in-one electric motor oil, while this product not available in Australia, any alternative oils to use instead and easy to get

Thanks in advance for your share experience

JB

You will get lots of opinions.

After heaps of research, I purchased some straight weight (some 20W and some 40W if memory serves) synthetic pump oil (AMSOIL) and have been using that on regular sintered turntable bearings. Its my understanding you want to stay away from anything that has detergents or solvents.

Following on the 3in1 oil theme you can purchase sewing machine oil at spotlight.. 

At the end of the day, I'm not sure its life and death critical. 

• Like 1

Just concern about lubricant oil to use with Thorens TD124, I do research on the internet and they recommend 3-in-one electric motor oil, while this product not available in Australia, any alternative oils to use instead and easy to get

Thanks in advance for your share experience

JB

What are you lubricating? Idler wheel, motor or bearing?
Sewing machine oil is ok for something like the idler wheel but a heavier weight oil for the bearing would be better. 40w as suggested.
  • Like 1

Thank you, [mention=139384]charlie_bird[/mention] [mention=111049]Upfront[/mention] for suggestion
yes, i need some oil for bearing, quite dry when i change thrust pad, motor also
The 3 in 1 oil was from bunnings from memory.
I used this for both the bearing and motor in a couple of Garrards I've rebuilt...
0a607a82442f63ec5582dace644f3f4a.jpg

3 minutes ago, Upfront said:
5 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:
Oils ant oils

use Launa oil.  

Photo copier oil?

Maybe,

Originally used in the scanner rails because it doesn't attract dust and solidify.  Areas that can't use WD40 or triflo, or normal machine oil; all these will go tacky, solidify and cease.

• Like 2

A general recommendation is to use synthetic motor oil in the absence of any specific reason not to. Bear in mind that synthetic motor oils would not have existed when your turntable was made.

Edited by Telecine
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

The "3-IN-ONE Electric Motor OiL" (in the blue tin) is a different product to the "3-IN-ONE Multi-purpose oil" in the black tin (shown in the photo above).  

As far as I can tell the "3-IN-ONE Electric Motor Oil" (blue tin) is not distributed in Australia (by WD40).  The manufacturer indicates it's appropriate for use in bearings (on the FAQ page).  It's available from the US via eBay, but we pay the excessive US exchange and postage rates. 

The black tin "3-IN-ONE Multi-purpose oil" is sold at Bunnings.  The manufacturer's description indicates it can be used for many things, but bearings are not mentioned.  Therefore, I would not use the black tin oil on my TT motor or platter bearings. 

https://www.3inone.com/products/motor-oil/

image.png.0a0ea0244b0dce7cac14f805058d8071.png

Edited by audiofeline

On 18/10/2017 at 7:06 AM, Telecine said:

A general recommendation is to use synthetic motor oil in the absence of any specific reason not to. Bear in mind that synthetic motor oils would not have existed when your turntable was made.

There are a number of threads on this at VinylEngine, which suggest that additives in modern motor oil are not appropriate for turntables. 

The 3-in-one blue is suggested on those discussions because it does not contain the harmful additives in modern motor oils, and it is approx. SAE 20. 

4 hours ago, audiofeline said:

There are a number of threads on this at VinylEngine, which suggest that additives in modern motor oil are not appropriate for turntables. 

The 3-in-one blue is suggested on those discussions because it does not contain the harmful additives in modern motor oils, and it is approx. SAE 20. 

Minds will differ about what is best. Can’t see anything that would be harmful to a TT bearing in modern motor oils but each to his own.

14 hours ago, Telecine said:

Minds will differ about what is best. Can’t see anything that would be harmful to a TT bearing in modern motor oils but each to his own.

I'm no expert, so I can only go on what others who I think have more expertise in this area.  The discussions on VinylEngine indicate that oils vary greatly in their composition - various additives are included for specific uses, and different oils are often not interchangeable.  Modern auto motor oil may be ok in the short term, but may not be in the longer term.  As the old Castrol GTX advert's say, "oils ain't oils"!

The VE discussions also indicate that there are many with different opinions, and turntables are often designed for use with specific types of oils, so different turntables require different oils.  Platter and Motor bearings can also have different oil requirements. 

Modern motor oils are designed to work in a system with oil filters, so they suspend particles which are filtered out.  Turntables don't have filters, so suspending particles may not be appropriate.  It was indicated that modern motor oils contain detergents, which can damage bronze (sintered bronze can be found in some motor bearings, less likely in platter bearings). Other additives that may not be good include dispersants which encourages water to emulsify.   The wrong kind of oil can harden, go to varnish, oxidize or otherwise degrade over time.  

There are oils manufactured which don't have these bad TT additives; compressor and turbine oils have been suggested.  SAE20 was suggested as the viscosity suitable for turntable use, slightly thinner than normal auto motor oil.  Singer Sewing Machine oils is regarded as being reasonably pure, but far to thin for turntable use. 

Again, I'm no expert and this is a summary of online discussions I've looked at. 

Please understand in mechanical terms, that when oil and bearing is used in any description, it generally applies to roller bearings 

A turntable bearing differs as it’s basically a contact point bearing 

So as long as the lubricant being used is - 

1) Not to thick to hinder operaration and speed 

2) Won’t go hard over time or during cold weather 

3) Oil to cling / stay on the bearing surfaces ( and not drain off by gravity ) 

4) Have no caustic or detergent addictive 

If the bearing cylinder tube is sealed one can fill with oil up to the contact point so the bearing is always immersed in oil 

I make my own blend of turntable oil based on my experience and covers all the parameters that are noted above 

Edited by Full Range

2 hours ago, Full Range said:

...I make my own blend of turntable oil based on my experience and covers all the parameters that are noted above

Would you care to share what oils you use and your formula - I'm currently trying to find suitable oils, most of what I've found suggested is only available in the US. 

2 hours ago, audiofeline said:

Would you care to share what oils you use and your formula - I'm currently trying to find suitable oils, most of what I've found suggested is only available in the US. 

It won’t be practical blending 50ml

Its just that I have many lubricants on hand to make a suitable blend 

People are overthinking this issue 

A contact bearing in a turntable is not a critical item in mechanical terms 

If no options are available then a light machine oil is your best choice 

Something like Singer sewing machine oil