Sign in to follow this  
Anthony123

Epson 9300 VS Optomo UHD65

Hey Guys

My home theatre should be finished in the next few weeks and was planning on getting the Epson 9300 but now that the Optomo 4K projector has landed with a "reasonable" price tag im now debating which one to go with.

What are peoples thoughts on the two. Am I better off future profing and getting the 4K projector from Optoma? What are replacement globes priced at cause I know the Epson are only around $130 to replace wihch is pretty good.

Its going into a pitch black theatre room (no widows) 4.7(length) x 3.7(wide). Hoping to go in a 120inch size fixed screen (which im still unsure which to go with as prices vary from $600 to $2000!!)

Any help / feedback appreciated

no 1 question i guess... do DLPs give you rainbows ? 

I always loved picture of DLPs over a few models had seen but watching for a little while (more than occasional watching) I found I was susceptible to rainbows.... which ruined the viewing experience for me

re the epson its a solid performer id suggest over the years been refined.

I dont think the whole 4k thing should be the red herring. keeping in mind the epson 9300 uses eshift and supports uhd. and the optoma isn't native 4k or anything either. am sure both will give beyond 2k but am not sure will make this aspect should be a deciding point 

isn the optoma a grey import ? i would never suggest buying a projector grey. they are such delicate things. can arrive DOA and can fail in use. you want a local bought projector and with local support.

personally with a pitch black room etc id go for PQ first. rather than grey id go a superseded jvc if want. will kick either of these out the window for pure PQ I have no doubt ! :) and thats not to say either arent great projectors in own right. and am sure as previous epson owner will do a pretty decent job picture wise :)

15 minutes ago, :) al said:

no 1 question i guess... do DLPs give you rainbows ? 

I always loved picture of DLPs over a few models had seen but watching for a little while (more than occasional watching) I found I was susceptible to rainbows.... which ruined the viewing experience for me

re the epson its a solid performer id suggest over the years been refined.

I dont think the whole 4k thing should be the red herring. keeping in mind the epson 9300 uses eshift and supports uhd. and the optoma isn't native 4k or anything either. am sure both will give beyond 2k but am not sure will make this aspect should be a deciding point 

isn the optoma a grey import ? i would never suggest buying a projector grey. they are such delicate things. can arrive DOA and can fail in use. you want a local bought projector and with local support.

personally with a pitch black room etc id go for PQ first. rather than grey id go a superseded jvc if want. will kick either of these out the window for pure PQ I have no doubt ! :) and thats not to say either arent great projectors in own right. and am sure as previous epson owner will do a pretty decent job picture wise :)

What do you mean by rainbows?

The Optoma is available locally and have seen people pick them up from around $3800 so it wouldn't be Grey

Also reading reviews for a 4k signal it is definitely noticeable that the Optoma has a sharper image than the 9300 but when a 1080p source is sent to both its hardly any difference, thus still i think leaning towards the Optoma now?

Review here of the UHD65 - http://www.projectorcentral.com/optoma-UHD60-uhd65-review.htm

Edited by Anthony123

I would be more concerned with contrast and how each projector handles motion. Best you audition in person.

57 minutes ago, Anthony123 said:

What do you mean by rainbows?

The Optoma is available locally and have seen people pick them up from around $3800 so it wouldn't be Grey

Also reading reviews for a 4k signal it is definitely noticeable that the Optoma has a sharper image than the 9300 but when a 1080p source is sent to both its hardly any difference, thus still i think leaning towards the Optoma now?

Review here of the UHD65 - http://www.projectorcentral.com/optoma-UHD60-uhd65-review.htm

have a read with a google about DLP rainbow effect. its very real and even though i thought i was not someone who would see or bother, with a slightly extended viewing past just demoing I soon realised otherwise. once you see them you cant stop :D

re 4K it really is quite a beat up. no one literally is going to be sitting close enough to fully resolve 4K and between the optoma and epson I would be very surprised if its much if anything. keeping in mind DLP by nature do look sharper. however the epsons are excellent too. particularly with contrast etc I think a step up from DLP tech.

good you are not going grey. in which case seek out both to see wiht own eyes to decide which you prefer :) 

Is rainbow effect really this bad on the UHD65?

Could this video been on some other older piece of tech? ***EDIT - This was on a BenQMX518***  Hoping its not as bad on the UHD65 but yes I will need to see this projector in action before committing!

Edited by Anthony123

There's only a small percentage of people that see RBE apparently. For me its much much worse than you see in that vid. It's everywhere in every scene.

I remember the first time I saw one of the tech leading InFocus machines way back when I first was interested in going down the PJ route. They were playing Vertical Limit as a demo in store to show off the white capabilities of the machine. I asked them what are all the colours everywhere??? They explained it and said they didn't say anything at first to anyone as most don't see it all. For me I can't watch DLP period. 

15 minutes ago, jutta said:

There's only a small percentage of people that see RBE apparently. For me its much much worse than you see in that vid. It's everywhere in every scene.

I remember the first time I saw one of the tech leading InFocus machines way back when I first was interested in going down the PJ route. They were playing Vertical Limit as a demo in store to show off the white capabilities of the machine. I asked them what are all the colours everywhere??? They explained it and said they didn't say anything at first to anyone as most don't see it all. For me I can't watch DLP period. 

Yep I was same had heart set on dlp with infocus then benq. Never noticed in casual viewing. Abd then in extended viewing started to notice. And I was the same too had to ask what those colours were. For those that don't see it's a wierd question ... because they don't see anything. But yeah once start seeing it's a problem.

thr issue can also benif you don't see, what if family etc are susceptible. Can be bit of a gamble

maybe go over to whirlpool and ask nuyers of the optoma their thoughts on rainbows as they are users.

as for dlp if you are worried just go to officeworks and buy a benq dlp.. set up and see if it effects you or others.. then return it for a refund. i would think the optoma uses a better/faster colour wheel than the benq?

Optoma is going to be sharper as single chip DLP.

Epson will have better native contrast and is a pretty feature rich machine with motorised everything, rec2020 colour pallete too. I'd go epson if those were my choices.