Dolby Volume or Equivalent Volume Leveller in Current Recievers

I'm in the market for a new receiver, after some years, and am trying to figure out if any current receivers have some decent volume levelling capabilities, like Dolby Volume did. My current old Onkyo had something, but I've never found it that good. So even a TV show like Hawaii Five-O has me sitting with my thumb on the volume control winding it up and down. I was reading about Dolby Volume, but it looks like it was something that came and went in the time since I last got a receiver.

3 minutes ago, Mobe1969 said:

I'm in the market for a new receiver, after some years, and am trying to figure out if any current receivers have some decent volume levelling capabilities, like Dolby Volume did. My current old Onkyo had something, but I've never found it that good. So even a TV show like Hawaii Five-O has me sitting with my thumb on the volume control winding it up and down. I was reading about Dolby Volume, but it looks like it was something that came and went in the time since I last got a receiver.

i dont use dolby volume.

dynamic volume is part of the top level audyssey suite that comes with denon and marantz units.

I use audyssey dynamic volume for TV source on my marantz pre. and it is extremely useful. I dont find need to be ramping up and down. what it means is you can have it lot more subtly going on in the back ground or crank further if want nad quite listenable either way.

I do not use dynamic volume for anything else e.g. movies or music etc. and the way the marantz is its fit and forget so its only set top box that gets the dynamic volume treatment

on other hand dynamic EQ is a completely another thing. it just means that EQ is dynamically adjusted to listen at below reference level. and is very much necessary to hear things as intended :)

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Mobe1969 said:

Thanks. That is tipping me more to the Marantz and Denon units then. It doesn't look like Onkyo has an equivalent, looking through their current models manual.

as a note for tv i still only use the Day setting which is most subtle for dynamic volume and quite effective.

• Like 1

OK, it looks like current Onkyo has a "late night" mode, but that is it. Pioneer also has something. But I can't see any real details on either of them. Their manuals are just horrible...

From looking at Denon and Marantz, they have multiple options, as you were saying.

12 minutes ago, Mobe1969 said:

OK, it looks like current Onkyo has a "late night" mode, but that is it. Pioneer also has something. But I can't see any real details on either of them. Their manuals are just horrible...

From looking at Denon and Marantz, they have multiple options, as you were saying.

Even on the denon/marantz, night selection on dynamic volume is far too aggressive !

• Like 1

On 17/10/2017 at 2:32 PM, :) al said:

Even on the denon/marantz, night selection on dynamic volume is far too aggressive !

I like to use dynamic volume set to light with my crossovers set to 80hz. When I set dynamic volume to light I get more impact for my movies.Having a dedicated room is so good and I get the full impact of an action movie.Wonder woman was a classic example for me.Although on my Avpa1 I did not need it.I am still trying to get my head around that.:)I love the aggressive sound for movies.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/22/2017 at 6:36 PM, drummerboy01 said:

I like to use dynamic volume set to light with my crossovers set to 80hz. When I set dynamic volume to light I get more impact for my movies.Having a dedicated room is so good and I get the full impact of an action movie.Wonder woman was a classic example for me.Although on my Avpa1 I did not need it.I am still trying to get my head around that.:)I love the aggressive sound for movies.

I think you are missing the point. With a dedicated room and no volume limitations, using dynamic volume makes no sense, you a artificially limiting/compressing dynamic range. It's great for bringing up dialogue and keeping explosions etc at more polite levels. I'm forced to use it as my 8yo daughter's bedroom is directly above my (non soundproofed) HT room, I won't make that mistake again if we ever move. I only get to crank it up without Audyssey Volume if I'm watching something family friendly with her or the family is out.

Then again, if it's how you like it then fine, who am I to judge, it's just not how the feature is intended to be used. I turn it on for my parents at their place as my father has hearing aids and always struggles to hear dialogue and they refuse to turn it up to a level where he can :huh:.

Edited by blybo

It is more the point that too many shows and movies have obnoxiously aggressively loud action volume levels to the point that if you are listening at a level so you can frigging hear people speak, you are doing hearing damage during non dialogue parts of the movie.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blybo said:

I think you are missing the point. With a dedicated room and no volume limitations, using dynamic volume makes no sense, you a artificially limiting/compressing dynamic range. It's great for bringing up dialogue and keeping explosions etc at more polite levels. I'm forced to use it as my 8yo daughter's bedroom is directly above my (non soundproofed) HT room, I won't make that mistake again if we ever move. I only get to crank it up without Audyssey Volume if I'm watching something family friendly with her or the family is out.

Then again, if it's how you like it then fine, who am I to judge, it's just not how the feature is intended to be used. I turn it on for my parents at their place as my father has hearing aids and always struggles to hear dialogue and they refuse to turn it up to a level where he can :huh:.

As it is for me,dynamic volume actually helps give me some impact in my movies When set to light on my Marantz 8802. If I turn it off then I can't hear that impact compared to light setting.If I turn it on to medium or high it brings the mpact down even further than on light.On my Denon I only ever used it when my centre channel speaker was a little hard to hear.From my ears the Marantz seems to be working a little different than my older Denon.What confuses me is why am I hearing more impact with it set to light than when it's off.It sounds better to me with it set to light in my dedicated room because it disturbs no one at that volume.I might not be tech savvy but I do know what sounds good.:popcorn:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, drummerboy01 said:

As it is for me,dynamic volume actually helps give me some impact in my movies When set to light on my Marantz 8802. If I turn it off then I can't hear that impact compared to light setting.If I turn it on to medium or high it brings the mpact down even further than on light.On my Denon I only ever used it when my centre channel speaker was a little hard to hear.From my ears the Marantz seems to be working a little different than my older Denon.What confuses me is why am I hearing more impact with it set to light than when it's off.It sounds better to me with it set to light in my dedicated room because it disturbs no one at that volume.I might not be tech savvy but I do know what sounds good.:popcorn:

As I said, happy that you are happy and we flavour these things to our own tastes and conditions. But to recreate how the film was originally mixed, dynamic volume should not be used. As I said, I’m forced to use it but don’t think it badly detracts from the experience.

Every brand has its own house sound even when Denon/Marantz share much of their architecture. From my memories of my old Denon 4306, compared to the Marantz 7702, the Marantz is more warm and beefy bass sound where Denon more neutral and detailed.

Well i look at it from the point of view that if its there and we have it then use it if it helps.If its not off any use then fine but for me its use is good in the sense that i am getting something from it. Its also good for me as my seating is around 5m from the center channel speaker and i have 4m of room  spare behind me. My room is nearly 9m x 5.5 wide.Bigger the room bigger the soundstage needs to be.Well at least for me.