recommend atmos ceiling speakers

Hi Guys,

finally decided to install atmos ceiling speakers, just not sure which brand/type to buy, my room isn't properly shaped for cinema sound unfortunately that's given so have to work with it

AVR is X4300H, setup would be 5.0.4, room is 4D x 4.5W x 3H, couch is sitting next to the back wall in the middle (can't change it) so question is if angled or straight firing, I can get Jamo IC series for decent money but not sure if they are any good...

Thank you for your advice

Daniel

kuky re brand what is rest of your speaker set ? if its jamo just buy the jamo in ceiling. most brands sell in ceiling speakers these days I see no real reason to go off brand :)

re atmos and your setup with your couch to the wall I reckon you could still get a couple of atmos speakers in front of the main listening post and probably lined up with the couch even if means a bit skew if with the mains. with on board calibration what what ever avr you are running it will all likely still work in well :)

re angled or straight firing isn't a bit issue. stay within the atmos spec for angle and even if down firing it will work well :)

thanks al for your info...

back speakers are Mirage OMD-5, fronts are Troels CNO-2.5, I sold old center so new one needs to be chosen but current space in cabinet suggesting something like Dali Zensor Vocal (sizewise), Jamo seems to be good option just because of price and availability in EU, no other reasons...

AVR as mentioned earlier is Denon AVR-X4300H

re atmos, specs are usually sketched for perfect room so hard to imagine what would be appropriate position and type for my room but if I take this setup guide than #6 should be angled or? and #7 should be straight cuz in my case these will be installed top of the couch rather than behind it, does it make sense?

44 minutes ago, kukynas said:

thanks al for your info...

back speakers are Mirage OMD-5, fronts are Troels CNO-2.5, I sold old center so new one needs to be chosen but current space in cabinet suggesting something like Dali Zensor Vocal (sizewise), Jamo seems to be good option just because of price and availability in EU, no other reasons...

AVR as mentioned earlier is Denon AVR-X4300H

re atmos, specs are usually sketched for perfect room so hard to imagine what would be appropriate position and type for my room but if I take this setup guide than #6 should be angled or? and #7 should be straight cuz in my case these will be installed top of the couch rather than behind it, does it make sense?

ah kuky, I forget you are in the EU :) jamo would be fine. do they come with back boxes ? 

yes no 6 is the front height positions. note the angles are just to do with positioning in front of couch . you are however going to be a 5.1.2 setup so 

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/dolby-atmos-speaker-setup/5-1-2-setups.html

as the suggestion says 

"The angles shown in all diagrams represent the ideal placement range relative to your listening position. "

so nothing to do with angling speakers or anything like that. with 5.1.2 setup given the likely narrow angle even if were firing directly down is going to be just fine :) you'll find many in ceiling with adjustable tweeter angle and can always adjust those a tad if feel necessary.

note the more in-depth dolby installation guidelines.

dolby-atmos-home-theater-installation-gu

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, powerav said:

True angled in ceiling speakers.

https://www.elac.com/product/ic-dt61-w/

doesn't look bad but 100EUR more per pc than I was willing to pay :) 

14 minutes ago, :) al said:

ah kuky, I forget you are in the EU :) jamo would be fine. do they come with back boxes ? 

yes no 6 is the front height positions. note the angles are just to do with positioning in front of couch . you are however going to be a 5.1.2 setup so 

as the suggestion says 

"The angles shown in all diagrams represent the ideal placement range relative to your listening position. "

so nothing to do with angling speakers or anything like that. with 5.1.2 setup given the likely narrow angle even if were firing directly down is going to be just fine :) you'll find many in ceiling with adjustable tweeter angle and can always adjust those a tad if feel necessary.

note the more in-depth dolby installation guidelines.

dolby-atmos-home-theater-installation-gu

in case of angled I was thinking about IC 206 LCR FG , in case of straight IC 406 FG

any reason why not 5.1.4 ? AVR can handle it so just matter of proper positioning or?

6 minutes ago, kukynas said:

in case of angled I was thinking about IC 206 LCR FG , in case of straight IC 406 FG

any reason why not 5.1.4 ? AVR can handle it so just matter of proper positioning or?

wouldn't bother with angled speakers personally as you'll achieve pretty well, well within the required angles in positioning firing likely just straight down at you 

not 5.1.4 as have back to the wall. and doesnt really leave any room for mounting rear heights as such :)

ps only thing id say those jamo dont have back boxes. I think they are really worth it. either buying speakers with them or buying / making your own back boxes :)

7 minutes ago, :) al said:

not 5.1.4 as have back to the wall. and doesnt really leave any room for mounting rear heights as such :)

don't get it, do you suggest to remove #7 and push #6 towards couch as shown in 5.1.2 set up?

I was originally thinking about below setup:

59e5e858f38bb_Atmos5.1.4.thumb.jpg.cc43bb052f8b3ebcd0166c56230fce44.jpg

37 minutes ago, :) al said:

ps only thing id say those jamo dont have back boxes. I think they are really worth it. either buying speakers with them or buying / making your own back boxes :)

any reason for boxed instead of open? no issue to build wooden boxes

1 hour ago, :) al said:

you are however going to be a 5.1.2 setup so 

just standard 5.1.2 as per above was what i was suggesting,

boxed so they actually have an enclosure, rather than same sound coming out one side fills the ceiling space the other travelling through the house. also so the rear of speaker is boxed in rather than creepy crawlies etc entering making their home , dust dirt etc :)

if can box in yourself with some lining material all the better :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I think I solved my problem, it's called HW-K950 :lol: , no need to wire ceiling space, cutting holes, isolating stuff and thinkin which speakers should be adequate, now just get rid off my Denon AVR and re-think how to fill up the empty space in TV cabinet :P , my wife won't be happy, oh well :angel:

• 1 month later...

Hi Klattsy, at the end nope, I made a big mistake, I asked my wife what she thinks before I pulled the trigger and you can imagine the answer :lol: so I stayed with my Denon amp, just got the new center speaker but had no time listen to it, ceiling will follow but don't know when yet, too much things going on right now...

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

slow progress as usual or better say no progress nevertheless before I fix cabling for atmos speakers I'd like to also fix rear/side surround (if there's anything to fix at all) below pictures of current set up, those omnipole speakers hanging at the ear level and are mounted on the side walls close to the rear wall, do I need to change them to monopole or bipole or any other pole or should I just leave it as is? these are Mirage OMD-5 as stated above 

IMG_1196.thumb.JPG.1d8c3951640ff54c2fd7dd6720577b05.JPGIMG_1197.thumb.JPG.e1f3a9992c11fa62d64bd1f2865ff56d.JPG

56 minutes ago, kukynas said:

slow progress as usual or better say no progress nevertheless before I fix cabling for atmos speakers I'd like to also fix rear/side surround (if there's anything to fix at all) below pictures of current set up, those omnipole speakers hanging at the ear level and are mounted on the side walls close to the rear wall, do I need to change them to monopole or bipole or any other pole or should I just leave it as is? these are Mirage OMD-5 as stated above 

well done kuky they are quire versatile speakers, can be used upside down as height speakers too I understand.

they are omni directional ... so I wouldnt bother about switching them anyways ... they are what they are ...  not mono pole/dipole or other  pole :D 

lol, yeah, better some pole then no pole at all :D , so there's no benefit going for i.e. monopole instead? I bought them coz they are spreading/bouncing of the walls sound more widely in 5.0 config than standard bipole/dipole but with atmos this might have contrary effect no? 

• Like 1