Jump to content

Primare Knob

How to handle multi Subwoofer setup

Recommended Posts

Hi,

 

I have just started setting up my HT room and using 2 subwoofer for the first time.

 

What is the best way when using 2 subwoofers when you only have one LFE output on the AVR/PrePro?

At the moment I am using an Y splitter on the LFE output feeding into both subwoofers.

 

What is the best (starting) position?

At the moment I have placed them behind the Front speakers with a 1 : 1.3 ratio from the back : side wall.

 

What is the best approach for system integration.

Is there a different approach between 2 and multi channel integration?

At the moment I have "integrated" the subwoofers by ear into a 2 channel setup first, using level, phase and a 40Hz crossover setting on the subwoofers themselve. My front speakers are using 10" active drivers up to 350Hz and go down to 29Hz -3dB. After my first satisfying tweaks I adjusted the LFE level in the PrePro  to match 75dB using a -40dBFS test signal from disc. I do use the option to send LFE signals to both front speakers and LFE channel since the subwoofer cut off frequency is set to 40Hz to integrate with the (2 channel) front speakers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, those front speakers are subwoofers themselves, so you pretty much have 4 subs. Normally I would place your subs 1/4 in from the side walls along the front wall. But because your speakers are extra subs I would try placing your front speakers exactly  1/4 in from the side walls and place your subs to the rear of the room exactly 1/4 from the side walls as well. This would eliminate most of the room modes. Then it is a matter of getting your distances sorted. In addition I would run your fronts at full range "send lfe to fronts as well" and set your lfe crossover to 80hz to intergrate with your centre and surround speakers. It is worth a bit of experimenting but you will need measuring equipment to get the best out of it.

Edited by brabs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree in that I'd change to 80Hz for your cross-over to better account for your smaller speakers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can set the crossover individual per speaker. Which would mean the front speakers will carry the LFE channel from 80Hz to 40Hz.

 

It also wouldn't be hard to turn the switch back and forth between 40Hz and 80Hz for music vs movie, since it has a locked position for these settings.

 

Putting the 2 subs in the back corners of the room is going to be hard since I have an entry door in one of these corners.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Primare Knob said:

 

Putting the 2 subs in the back corners of the room is going to be hard since I have an entry door in one of these corners.

 

 

Could you place them 1/4 in from the corners?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1/4 from the side wall, possibly. 1/4 from the back wall not so much, more like 1/6 of the length of the room.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once your distance is dialled in, you should find no boominess with a flatter frequency response. But the best part will be everyone will get a similar response at there seat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator

personally i would suggest theres a few things here.

 

this is my approach

 

I would dial in subs to perfection with mains for 2ch prowess music etc and to end up with a really good response back at main listening position. (numerous tools available for this. I am using one built in my sub :) and essentially the main and sub work as one large speaker :)

 

for AV and ht and multichannel duties I would utilise a processor that can handle multi sub. note this will also take in your main-sub combo as large speakers. 

 

I would not use Y cables as this doesnt take in anything with regards what specific subs needs re level, phase, delays etc that each may specifically need. as a note though with subs placed in close proximity to mains little to nothing likely needed with regards delays or phase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, :) al said:

personally i would suggest theres a few things here.

 

this is my approach

 

I would dial in subs to perfection with mains for 2ch prowess music etc and to end up with a really good response back at main listening position. (numerous tools available for this. I am using one built in my sub :) and essentially the main and sub work as one large speaker :)

 

for AV and ht and multichannel duties I would utilise a processor that can handle multi sub. note this will also take in your main-sub combo as large speakers. 

 

I would not use Y cables as this doesnt take in anything with regards what specific subs needs re level, phase, delays etc that each may specifically need. as a note though with subs placed in close proximity to mains little to nothing likely needed with regards delays or phase.

I can dial in the subs with software using Paradigm PDK software.

If I place the subs symmetrical with equal distance to main listen position, than I should be able to run a single delay for both units right?

 

The main speakers have a forward firing driver while the sub has a downward firing driver with 2 side way passive radiators. By ear a phase of 45 degree on the subs seems to give a better result at the moment. That is by ear though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator
45 minutes ago, Primare Knob said:

I can dial in the subs with software using Paradigm PDK software.

If I place the subs symmetrical with equal distance to main listen position, than I should be able to run a single delay for both units right?

 

The main speakers have a forward firing driver while the sub has a downward firing driver with 2 side way passive radiators. By ear a phase of 45 degree on the subs seems to give a better result at the moment. That is by ear though.

through Y cable though ? as you mention in the opening post ? which I dont like the sounds of at all ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What are the disavantages of using a y cable? Does it produce a weaker signal?

Edited by brabs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator
1 hour ago, brabs said:

What are the disavantages of using a y cable? Does it produce a weaker signal?

we are dealing with low line level signal and would be loath to passively split. also from aspect as well you end up treating sub as one. when they are not :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Satanica said:

I have a similar setup to yours.

I vote you go for a MiniDSP 2X4 HD and REW.

I not so long ago integrated my two subwoofers using a MiniDSP 2X4 HD and DEQX, see here: https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/127660-subwoofer-placement-integration/?tab=comments#comment-1894021

You are still using the AD DA function of the unit right? It's not going to work if I try to output LFE via USB to the HD and 7 channels audio via HDMI to the PrePro since we are talking about 2 separate audio devices. It would have been nice when the nanoAVR HDA could strip the LFE channel and output it on any sellectable analog output.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, :) al said:

we are dealing with low line level signal and would be loath to passively split. also from aspect as well you end up treating sub as one. when they are not :) 

The lfe is a mono Channel, so my understanding is as long as they are equidistant from the listener the should be treated as one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Primare Knob said:

You are still using the AD DA function of the unit right? It's not going to work if I try to output LFE via USB to the HD and 7 channels audio via HDMI to the PrePro since we are talking about 2 separate audio devices. It would have been nice when the nanoAVR HDA could strip the LFE channel and output it on any sellectable analog output.

Yes I'm using the AD to DA function. Would it not work for you if you mixed LFE into the left and right channels?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator
33 minutes ago, brabs said:

The lfe is a mono Channel, so my understanding is as long as they are equidistant from the listener the should be treated as one

Yeah however just because equidistant doesn't mean they are interaction or in response exactly the same in a room.

 

ive seen subs placed mirror image in a room one responds quite different to other as one next to structural external wall. Other next to an internal wall.

 

youll find most av processors with quite sophisticated dual sub systems to measure and eq to calibrate and setup for integration :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, :) al said:

Yeah however just because equidistant doesn't mean they are interaction or in response exactly the same in a room.

 

ive seen subs placed mirror image in a room one responds quite different to other as one next to structural external wall. Other next to an internal wall.

 

youll find most av processors with quite sophisticated dual sub systems to measure and eq to calibrate and setup for integration :)

Are you saying they should calibrate them individually first?

personally I think the summed response should be calibrated. I say this because room modes will behave differently with 2 subs playing the same signal together.

for instance I use no eq with my 2 subs and get a reasonably flat response, if I turn one sub off, the response has no resemblance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator
8 minutes ago, brabs said:

Are you saying they should calibrate them individually first?

personally I think the summed response should be calibrated. I say this because room modes will behave differently with 2 subs playing the same signal together.

for instance I use no eq with my 2 subs and get a reasonably flat response, if I turn one sub off, the response has no resemblance.

You'll find dual sub systems that  will ping and measure separately and then will eq together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, :) al said:

You'll find dual sub systems that  will ping and measure separately and then will eq together.

Gotcha 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Satanica said:

Yes I'm using the AD to DA function. Would it not work for you if you mixed LFE into the left and right channels?

What would be the end result? Can be done at the PC source or done in the PrePro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Primare Knob said:

What would be the end result? Can be done at the PC source or done in the PrePro

So your PrePro has a left and right output right?

And if so this left and right output (with LFE included) could be fed into a MiniDSP HD.

The MiniDSP can be configured to mono output (X2) the summed left and right input with a low pass filter with EQ and with time alignment included.

Edited by Satanica

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, :) al said:

personally i would suggest theres a few things here.

 

this is my approach

 

I would dial in subs to perfection with mains for 2ch prowess music etc and to end up with a really good response back at main listening position. (numerous tools available for this. I am using one built in my sub :) and essentially the main and sub work as one large speaker :)

 

for AV and ht and multichannel duties I would utilise a processor that can handle multi sub. note this will also take in your main-sub combo as large speakers. 

 

I would not use Y cables as this doesnt take in anything with regards what specific subs needs re level, phase, delays etc that each may specifically need. as a note though with subs placed in close proximity to mains little to nothing likely needed with regards delays or phase.

 

4 hours ago, Satanica said:

I have a similar setup to yours.

I vote you go for a MiniDSP 2X4 HD and REW.

I not so long ago integrated my two subwoofers using a MiniDSP 2X4 HD and DEQX, see here: https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/127660-subwoofer-placement-integration/?tab=comments#comment-1894021

What would the suggestion be for subwoofer placement? Technicly my front speakers go down to 29Hz -3dB

Both in the front of the room.

Both in the front corners of the room

One in the front one in the back

Both in the back of the room

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Satanica said:

So your PrePro has a left and right output right?

And if so this left and right output (with LFE included) could be fed into a MiniDSP HD.

The MiniDSP can be configured to mono output (X2) the summed left and right input with a low pass filter with EQ and with time alignment included.

Can't it do the same with a single channel? Or will this not work with integrating the low end of the front speakers. I would like to bypass any AD for non LFE/Low end frequency.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By rolfie_boy
      Item: FS Nordost Bassline subwoofer interconnect (RCA) 3 meter, single length.
      Location: Melbourne 3197
      Price: A$75
      Item Condition: Good 8/10
      Reason for selling: No longer required
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only. Prefer local but willing to post at buyer's expense.
      Extra Info:
       
      Pictures:
       
       


    • By hifiman
      Item: MOREL ULTIMO 12"  car subwoofer 2 ohm version
      Location: Melbourne
      Price: $500
      Item Condition: Brand new, never used 
      Reason for selling: Not needed
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash (preferred) , Paypal, COD Only 
      Extra Info: Bought this a long time and had it packed away intending to use one day. This was noted to be one of the best car subwoofer back in the day. 
       
      Pictures: Will be added later tonight
       
       
       
      The Ultimo was engineered to set new standards in subwoofer technology and bass performance, satisfying the most demanding car audio enthusiasts. Available in a single voice coil configuration, the Ultimo subwoofer series is engineered to perform well in both sealed and ported enclosures, offering the flexibility of a wide range of applications.

      Equipped with a gigantic 5.1 Hexatech External Voice coil, and constructed of a heavy gauge high temperature aluminum wire and an extra thick aluminum former, the Ultimo subwoofer produces 1000WRMS (3000W peak) clean power output. The new DMM motor design achieves over 90% efficiency and the PFS spider/surround technology ensures maximum linearity, minimum distortion, and truly flat response.

      The Ultimo subwoofer employs a unique hybrid paper-carbon fiber composite cone that generates an extraordinary combination of musicality and sound pressure both in SQ and SPL applications.

      The high venting capability of the voice coil and the rigid Uniflow die-cast aluminum basket design provide reliable and stable operation of the subwoofer enabling many hours of listening enjoyment.

      Morels new, top-of-the-line subwoofer was a long time in coming, but it was well worth the wait. Spoil yourself, and hear how bass was meant to sound.

      Specifications:
      Overall dimensions    DxH 305mm (12) X 146.9mm (5.78) Power handling RMS    P    1000 W Transient power 10ms 3000 W Sensitivity 2.83 Vrms / 1M 88 dB Sensitivity 1W / 1M 85 dB Frequency response 10-900 Hz. Cone material Carbon-fiber laminated paper Net weight 6.7 Kg. (15 lb.) Driver Displacement 2.6 Lit (0.09 cu.ft) Voice Coil Diameter 130 mm (5.1) Voice coil height 37mm (1.45) Voice coil former Aluminum Voice coil wire Hexatech Aluminum Number of layers 2 Max. Linear excursion    X 12.5mm (0.5) (Each way) Magnet system type Double magnet vented HE-Magnetic gap height    HE    12mm (0.5) B flux density    B    6.4 T BL product    BXL    13.0 T.M Nominal Impedance    Z    2.0 Ohm DC Resistance    RE    1.7 Ohm Voice coil inductance @1KHz    LBM    0.30 MH Suspension compliance    CMS    0.80 Mechanical Q Factor    QMS    1.238 Electrical Q Factor    QES    0.49 Total Q Factor    QTS    0.36 Mechanical resistance    RMS    14.4 Moving mass    MMS    135 gr. Eq. Cas air load (liters)    VAS    105 Lit (3.71 cu.ft) Resonant frequency    FS    22 Hz Effective piston area    SD    0.0471 m Mounting Depth: 5.53"
    • By Home theatre rookie
      Title pretty much says it all.
       
      Which sub is better for a home theatre?
       
      I want the deepest, hardest hitting bass i can get my hands on but with the svs been over budget, id be buying second hand.
       
      Is there better options out there for the money?
       
      I was going to go for 2 pb2000's but then thought im doing everything else around the 1 seating position, so ill do the same with bass.
    • By couchy
      Item: Sunfire signature subwoofer
      Location:Bittern
      Price: $700 neg
      Item Condition:good condition
      Reason for selling:Built 2 18 inch ib sub in ceiling
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, 
      Extra Info:This sub goes low, amazing bass, compact, very heavy
       
      Pictures:
       
       



    • By matt9999
      Item: Paradigm Sub-1
      Location: Illawong NSW (near Padstow / Menai)
      Price: $3300 (firm, >50% of RRP) + courier + 3% paypal if you want to go that way
      Item Condition: No marks that I can see, one of the grill pegs is broken and wedged in hole (shown on photo)
      Reason for sale: redoing room - no room for sub.
      Extra info: As good as reviews indicate.  Its in the cherry finish, which looks alright.  If you desperately wanted black or another colour, I'd suggest a vinyl wrap as an inexpensive way to get there.  Also includes the pbk kit (subwoofer EQ system), original box, receipt (purchased 16 months ago from Eastwood hifi -> it has 20 months of warranty left) .  Specs as per following link, http://www.paradigm.com/products-current/series=signature/model=sub-1/page=specs.  Basically has 6 8" drivers in sealed enclosure, will go reasonably loud and reasonably low and I have not heard it distort.  I think the current Paradigm top of the line sub is near identical to it (I'm struggling to identify a difference in the specs, apart from the colour).  Pick up is preferred, and you'd have to help me lift it into your car, its 50 kg of subwoofer.  I do have the original box - and courier is an option - previous quote about $200 to Melbourne (would need to be confirmed for your destination).
       
       



       
       
       
       
×