This might just be a wild goose chase but there are many 2 channel DAC options but hardly any 8 channel DAC options.

I personally would love to see an 8 channel external DAC that can drive a power amp directly so that I can finally get rid of the horrible quality Pre Amps that are AV Pre Processors.

By now we are used to using computers for music playback via external DAC, but for movie playback we still need to use an AVR or Pre-Pro or we have to use a Pro Audio DA Converter which comes with a lot of options not needed for the average consumer.

Anyone else with me?????

Well, I have two 8 channel DAC's at home. Neither are very good, despite one of them being a Stereophile recommended component (Merging NADAC MC-8). 

35 minutes ago, Primare Knob said:

Anyone else with me?????

Yep sure am, but have given hope of anything that you don't need a audio engineering degree to work out. It has always amazed me that if you want the best source material ie SACD 5.1, Bluray pure audio you need an AVR to play it at which many pure 2 channel audiophiles scoff at.

I suppose the closest thing is an Oppo 105 or 205.

I think you have answered the question yourself. Multi channel DACs = pre-pro or AVR . 

The newer AVRs, pre-pros are coming out with better DAC chips which begs the question what a multi channel DAC can offer extra. And what about room correction which I think is essential for multi channel music? If you add room correction to a multi channel DAC, it  is starting to look like a pre-pro...

5 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

And what about room correction which I think is essential for multi channel music?

sorry but yukky. You are not getting out what you are putting in.

10 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

I think you have answered the question yourself. Multi channel DACs = pre-pro or AVR . 

The newer AVRs, pre-pros are coming out with better DAC chips which begs the question what a multi channel DAC can offer extra. And what about room correction which I think is essential for multi channel music? If you add room correction to a multi channel DAC, it  is starting to look like a pre-pro...

You can do room correction on a PC when you use it as a source.

The quality of the pre amplification on anything HT is plain rubbish if you compare it to stereo. Better DAC's hardly mean anything in comparison to that.

There is the ps audio DMP, which can link into either of the direct stream DAC's or new stellar pre/DAC asca stack for up to 6 CH

Hell pricey tho

Sponsor

Hey guys it takes me forever to build two channel DAC's - Eight channels would be a deal breaker for sure.

I do like the buying beers part though!

6 minutes ago, Gieseler Audio said:

Hey guys it takes me forever to build two channel DAC's - Eight channels would be a deal breaker for sure.

I do like the buying beers part though!

It will be a good chalange. A few beers can make any obstacle go away.

On 16/10/2017 at 8:13 PM, Primare Knob said:

This might just be a wild goose chase but there are many 2 channel DAC options but hardly any 8 channel DAC options.

I personally would love to see an 8 channel external DAC that can drive a power amp directly so that I can finally get rid of the horrible quality Pre Amps that are AV Pre Processors.

By now we are used to using computers for music playback via external DAC, but for movie playback we still need to use an AVR or Pre-Pro or we have to use a Pro Audio DA Converter which comes with a lot of options not needed for the average consumer.

Anyone else with me?????

Audial's got one coming out this year. Will be reasonably priced. Intended for active systems. 

There's a particularly interesting product coming out of the US this year with an 8-channel AKM setup and integrated DSP too.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Plattenspieler
      Item: Meitner MA-1 digital to analog converter
      Price: $2950 + shipping
      Item Condition: Unmarked condition, perfectly working
      Reason for selling: Mola Mola Makua preamp with DAC
      Payment Method: Cash on pickup, paypal (+3%), bank transfer
      Extra Info:

I am selling my Meitner MA-1 (v1) digital to analog converter (DAC). The MA-1 was designed by Ed Meitner and manufactured in Canada. It is Roon-tested. The latest version (v2) of this DAC retails for $10,000! An upgrade from v1 to v2 is possible but certainly not required: v1 already sounds stunning! The MA-1 comes in its original box with all accessories included. The DAC was bought from Pure Music Group in Melbourne. I am happy to ship the DAC in its sturdy original box at buyer's expense and risk. The dimensions of the box are 28.5cm x 58.5cm x 54.5cm. The gross weight is about 11kg.

Pictures:

• By Plattenspieler
      Item: Meitner MA-1 DAC
      Price: $3250 $3000 plus shipping (please contact me by PM if you are interested in this unit)
      Item Condition: 9.5/10
      Reason for selling: moving to all-in-one solution
      Payment Method: Cash on pickup, paypal (+3%), bank transfer
      Extra Info:

I am selling my Meitner MA-1 DAC. This is version 1 of this DAC. An upgrade to version 2 is possible as far as I know (if interested, please contact puremusicgroup, the original vendor of this DAC). I never felt the necessity to upgrade. The DAC already sounds stunning, very clear, open and transparent. I almost only used it to play back PCM (CD rips) and it excels in this discipline. PCM is internally upsampled to 2xDSD. I played with additional upsampling possibilities in Roon but prefer the raw signal from the MA-1. Meitner DAC's are Roon-tested. The MA-1 has the following inputs: 1x USB, 1x AES/EBU, 2x TOSLINK S/PDIF, 2x COAX S/PDIF. It comes with a remote control, which I never used (nor did the previous owner as far as I can tell). The DAC was designed and manufactured in Canada.

The DAC is unmarked and in perfect condition. I rate it as 9.5/10 only because it is used. I am happy to ship the DAC in its original sturdy box at buyer's expense and risk. The box was already used to ship the DAC from the previous owner in Sydney to Melbourne without problems. The dimensions of the box are 28.5cm x 58.5cm x 54.5cm. The gross weight is about 11kg. Pickup from Williamstown or Carlton is another (preferred) option.

I bought the MA-1 from @PKay on this forum. I link the original ad below, which also contains lots of additional technical info about this DAC. I paid $4000 (or was it $4100?) plus shipping for this DAC less than a year ago. I offer it now at a substantially reduced price.

Pictures:

• By EdgyGrimDark
      Item: Audio GD R2R11
      Price: 450+PayPal fees
      Item Condition:like new
      Reason for selling:I prefer my other amps
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, PayPal COD Only
      Extra Info:
      Basically new, about 1 month old, good all in one system. decided I want to go in another direction though.
      If you wanna save some time and jumping though hoops with Audio gd, this a good option.

Pictures:

• By krakatana
      Item: E-MU 0404 ADC/DAC USB Audio Interface
      Price: SOLD
      Item Condition: Excellent, the marks in the photos are all fingerprints
      Reason for selling: NLR
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info: Works on Windows 10
      Pictures:

• By Silver Audiophile
      Item: MUSICAL FIDELITY V-DAC
      Price: $120 + Post
      Item Condition: Good condition, full working order.
      Reason for selling: No longer needed or used.
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal
      Extra Info:
      Original packaging and AC UK plug. $120 plus post.
      Good condition, full working order.
      No longer needed or used.

The People's V-DAC uses a single Burr-Brown DSD1792 chip and an SRC4392 upsampling device to provide the magic bullet: the illusion of digital information that isn't actually there. The V-DAC's separate USB input relies on a Texas Instruments TI2706 chip.
      "What you don't get, compared to a $5000 DAC, is a huge box and lots of snake oil and bullshit," proclaimed Antony Michaelson in one of his more expansive moments.

https://www.stereophile.com/digitalprocessors/musical_fidelity_v-dac_da_processor

Pictures: