Sign in to follow this  
Primare Knob

Multichannel DAC

This might just be a wild goose chase but there are many 2 channel DAC options but hardly any 8 channel DAC options.

I personally would love to see an 8 channel external DAC that can drive a power amp directly so that I can finally get rid of the horrible quality Pre Amps that are AV Pre Processors.

By now we are used to using computers for music playback via external DAC, but for movie playback we still need to use an AVR or Pre-Pro or we have to use a Pro Audio DA Converter which comes with a lot of options not needed for the average consumer.

Anyone else with me?????

Well, I have two 8 channel DAC's at home. Neither are very good, despite one of them being a Stereophile recommended component (Merging NADAC MC-8). 

35 minutes ago, Primare Knob said:

Anyone else with me?????

Yep sure am, but have given hope of anything that you don't need a audio engineering degree to work out. It has always amazed me that if you want the best source material ie SACD 5.1, Bluray pure audio you need an AVR to play it at which many pure 2 channel audiophiles scoff at.

I suppose the closest thing is an Oppo 105 or 205.

I think you have answered the question yourself. Multi channel DACs = pre-pro or AVR . 

The newer AVRs, pre-pros are coming out with better DAC chips which begs the question what a multi channel DAC can offer extra. And what about room correction which I think is essential for multi channel music? If you add room correction to a multi channel DAC, it  is starting to look like a pre-pro...

5 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

And what about room correction which I think is essential for multi channel music?

sorry but yukky. You are not getting out what you are putting in.

10 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

I think you have answered the question yourself. Multi channel DACs = pre-pro or AVR . 

The newer AVRs, pre-pros are coming out with better DAC chips which begs the question what a multi channel DAC can offer extra. And what about room correction which I think is essential for multi channel music? If you add room correction to a multi channel DAC, it  is starting to look like a pre-pro...

You can do room correction on a PC when you use it as a source.

The quality of the pre amplification on anything HT is plain rubbish if you compare it to stereo. Better DAC's hardly mean anything in comparison to that.

There is the ps audio DMP, which can link into either of the direct stream DAC's or new stellar pre/DAC asca stack for up to 6 CH

Hell pricey tho

Hey guys it takes me forever to build two channel DAC's - Eight channels would be a deal breaker for sure.

I do like the buying beers part though!

6 minutes ago, Gieseler Audio said:

Hey guys it takes me forever to build two channel DAC's - Eight channels would be a deal breaker for sure.

I do like the buying beers part though!

It will be a good chalange. A few beers can make any obstacle go away.

On 16/10/2017 at 8:13 PM, Primare Knob said:

This might just be a wild goose chase but there are many 2 channel DAC options but hardly any 8 channel DAC options.

I personally would love to see an 8 channel external DAC that can drive a power amp directly so that I can finally get rid of the horrible quality Pre Amps that are AV Pre Processors.

By now we are used to using computers for music playback via external DAC, but for movie playback we still need to use an AVR or Pre-Pro or we have to use a Pro Audio DA Converter which comes with a lot of options not needed for the average consumer.

Anyone else with me?????

Audial's got one coming out this year. Will be reasonably priced. Intended for active systems. 

There's a particularly interesting product coming out of the US this year with an 8-channel AKM setup and integrated DSP too.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By zakblue
      Item: Emotiva XDA-1 DAC/Digital Preamp
      Price: $250
      Item Condition: Excellent
      Reason for selling: NLR
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, Bank Transfer
      Extra Info:

Happy to ship Australia wide at buyers expense.

• By AlurkA
      Item: Accuphase DAC-50 Option Board
      Price: $700 ONO (RRP $1500)
      Item Condition: Perfect, used it for a few months in my E-470.
      Reason for selling: Have since moved on to separates and sold the E-470
      Payment Method: Cash, Paypal, COD Only

Extra Info: A plug an play option board for a number of Pre and Integrated Amps in the Accuphase line-up.

Features and Compatible Accuphase products:   http://www.accuphase.com/model/dac-50.html

Photos:

• By 8thdegree
      Item: BENCHMARK DAC3 HGC + SoundAffairs Linear PSU & Mods
      Price: $4350 $3990
      Item Condition: Excellent (being conservative, see note below*)
      Reason for selling: Have gone 'ethernet'...
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info: 
      BENCHMARK DAC3 HGC. Black version. James Soh SoundAffairs external AC to DC Linear PSU and mods—Ultima Femto Clock, Ultima Voltage Regulator, etc. Have had the unit since March 2019 (bought new). Including retail for the unit (A$3700), the price of the PSU and mods (A$2200), double-freight and import duties via Singapore (A$600), overall retail price is ~A$6500. Reason for selling is that I am moving in a different direction with my sources & DAC, to networked audio over ethernet. This unit is USB-based. DAC comes with original remote.  *Some might say the unit is "as new" given that the little nicks on the PSU were there when it shipped to me! However, since it's been modded I suppose technically the Benchmark unit itself is definitely not "as new". PAYMENT VIA PAYPAL ONLY.   Well, if you're interested in this listing you probably have done your research already. This listing is not for just the highly sought-after Benchmark DAC3 HGC—as if that weren't enough—but for that unit extensively modded by James Soh of SoundAffairs in Singapore, including his all-important custom Linear DC PSU:      Benchmark DAC2 family modification
      WWW.MYSOUNDAFFAIRS.COM For customer reviews, please click here Change the simple oscillator circuit that is used for the ESS9018 Sabre DAC with our Ultima FEMTO low jitter clock then replaced the critical...     Even in its BASE retail form, the Benchmark DAC3 HGC is on a number of high-profile current 'best of' lists, including Stereophile's Recommended Components in its highest "A+" designation:    Recommended Components: 2019 Edition Digital Processors | Stereophile.com
      WWW.STEREOPHILE.COM Digital Processors Editor's Note: The sound of any particular CD transport/digital processor combination will be dependent on the datalink used-see "Bits is Bits?" by Christopher Dunn and...     Quite some cost, logistics and waiting times in orchestrating this combo I can tell you...here's your chance to leverage my expended effort and get hold of this setup, ALMOST NEW, with NO WAIT TIME, and at a STEEP DISCOUNT.

ESTIMATED DELIVERY COSTS AROUND $120 INSURED. THE ACTUAL COST MAY DEPEND ON DELIVERY LOCATION. PICKUP IN SYDNEY POSSIBLE TO AVOID THIS, SUBJECT TO PAYMENT BEING SECURED AHEAD OF TIME (PAYPAL ONLY).

Photos: See extensive pics. The small nicks are visible on the PSU pics.

• By 81Vintage
      Item: Maverick Audio Tube Magic Plus DAC + Preamp
      Price: $180.00 inc shipping anywhere in Australia
      Item Condition: Used, Excellent
      Reason for selling: Upgrade
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:
      Purchased recently from fellow SNA member, decided to sell off a few things and upgrade to a new high end unit.

Specs here:
      https://www.mav-audio.com/base/product/d1p

Still cost around $400 AUD to bring over from the states. Save a bundle.

Shipping anywhere in Australia included, can drop price a little if you collect in person.

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

• By Snoopy8
      Been going through the Gieseler DAC threads to dig up owners’ reviews & impressions over the past 2 few years.  Together, they provided an impressive picture of how well Clay has made his DACs and has lead me to consider  purchase the upcoming Groß DAC with balanced outputs.   

Fein II Reviews & Impressions
      helland 28 Mar 19 
      RussB 14 Apr 19 compared with Gross Dac with gold tuned PSU
      Snoopy8 14 Apr 19 compared with Gross Dac with gold tuned PSU
      Galatic Soap 30 Jul 19 compared with Chord Hugo TT2 + BluMk2
      Max Headroom 30 Jul 19 compared with Chord Hugo TT2 + MScaler
      andrewyuri 2 Aug 19 compared with Chord 2Qute
      Steve M 8 Aug 19 compared with Holo Audio Spring Level 3, MF Trivista 21,  NuForce Reference, Topping D10
      Suopermanni 12 Sep 19 compared with Topping D70
      Pete Gardner 16 Jan 2020 compared with Klein III

Klein III Reviews & Impressions
      pnes_nv 20 Oct 18 compared with Arcam irDac II
      pete_mac 10 Nov 18 compared with Klein
      DrSK 11 Dec 18 compared with Oppo 205
      Snrub 8 Mar 19 compared with Audiolab M-Dac
      lenticularis 4 Sep 19 compared with Modi 3
      pete_mac 24 Sep 19 compared with Audio-GD PCM1704UK
      bjs 30 Oct 19 compared with Musical Fidelity M1 Dac, 14 Nov 19 compared with Chord Mojo

Groß (Gross) Reviews & Impressions
      illbarto 18 Sep 17 compared with Klein II
      Snoopy8  5 Oct 17 compared with Audiolab 8200CDQ, 13 May 18  compared with Chord 2Qute, PS Audio Direct Stream jnr
      BAM 6 Oct 17 compared with PSAudio Directstream
      bhobba 28 Nov 17, 22 Jan 18 compared with PSAudio Directstream
      Ancientflatulence 15 Dec 17
      Suopermanni 23 Dec 17 compared with Gungnir Multibit
      Bill125812 18 Jan 18 compared with PS Audio Nu Wave
      scumbag  18 Jan 18 compared with PS Audio Direct Stream jnr
      RussB 23 Feb 18, 8 Apr 18 compared with Klein, Chord Qutest
      Mattw 4 Mar 18 6 Mar 18 14 Mar 18 compared with Starting Point Systems DAC3
      Mike13 6 Mar 13 compared with Chord 2Qute, 13 May 18 compared with 2Qute, PS Audio Direct Stream jnr
      Francisco 8 Mar 18
      Stereophilus 11 Mar 18 compared with Mola Mola Makua, PSAudio Directstream, Chord DAVE
      Assisi 11 Mar 18 compared with Mola Mola Makua
      Rosco8 24 Mar 18 compared with Cayin (Valve/SS),  ARCAM-II DAC II
      Bunno77 26 Mar 18 compared with Geek Pulse S Infinity
      Rawl99 2 Apr 18 compared with Killer
      rmpfyf 2 Apr 18 compared with Killer
      Conch 16 Apr 18 compared with Klein II, Chord 2qute, Accuphase Dac50
      Max Headroom 10 May 18, 13 May 2018 compared with Chord 2Qute, PS Audio Direct Stream jnr
      buddyev 31 Oct 18 compared with Topping D50
      lemarguis 10 Jul 19 compared with Klein II
      Pkay 23 Jul 19 compared with Chord Qutest + Mscaler

Konverter Reviews & Impressions
      (Has pre-amp as well)
      ~Spyne~ 29 Apr 17
       Woadl 13 Jun 17 compared with Auralic Vega

Klein II Reviews & Impressions
       Andrewyuri 1 May 16 compared with Klein
       Jonny 31 Jul 16 compared with Antelope Gold

Klein Reviews & Impressions
       GPK 17 Jun 15
       Bill125812 28 Jun 15 compared with NAD M51
       naggots  29 Jun 15
       rambada 7 Aug 15
       matt200sr 10 Aug 15
       naggots 21 Sep 15 on SE version
       scumbag 16 Oct 15 compared with MyDac
       joz 29 Oct 15
       pete_mac 5 Nov 15 compared with audio-gd DAC16DSP
       pop9745 25 Nov 15 compared with Chord Hugo, Resonessence Labs Concero HD, and Ifi
       betocool 1 Dec 15
       woadl 1 Dec 15
       andrewyuri 13 Apr 16 compared with Arcam irDac, Nad M51 
      Jventer 15 May 16 compared with PSAudio Directstream
       NcA 27 May 16
       Tellmidd 16 Jul 16
       Powerav 15 Oct 16
       Zypr 16 Jan 17
      Terry0 11 Mar 18 compared with Oppo 205, Bluesound Node2

Please post if corrections, additions required…