Sign in to follow this  
Primare Knob

Multichannel DAC

This might just be a wild goose chase but there are many 2 channel DAC options but hardly any 8 channel DAC options.

I personally would love to see an 8 channel external DAC that can drive a power amp directly so that I can finally get rid of the horrible quality Pre Amps that are AV Pre Processors.

By now we are used to using computers for music playback via external DAC, but for movie playback we still need to use an AVR or Pre-Pro or we have to use a Pro Audio DA Converter which comes with a lot of options not needed for the average consumer.

Anyone else with me?????

Well, I have two 8 channel DAC's at home. Neither are very good, despite one of them being a Stereophile recommended component (Merging NADAC MC-8). 

35 minutes ago, Primare Knob said:

Anyone else with me?????

Yep sure am, but have given hope of anything that you don't need a audio engineering degree to work out. It has always amazed me that if you want the best source material ie SACD 5.1, Bluray pure audio you need an AVR to play it at which many pure 2 channel audiophiles scoff at.

I suppose the closest thing is an Oppo 105 or 205.

I think you have answered the question yourself. Multi channel DACs = pre-pro or AVR . 

The newer AVRs, pre-pros are coming out with better DAC chips which begs the question what a multi channel DAC can offer extra. And what about room correction which I think is essential for multi channel music? If you add room correction to a multi channel DAC, it  is starting to look like a pre-pro...

5 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

And what about room correction which I think is essential for multi channel music?

sorry but yukky. You are not getting out what you are putting in.

10 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

I think you have answered the question yourself. Multi channel DACs = pre-pro or AVR . 

The newer AVRs, pre-pros are coming out with better DAC chips which begs the question what a multi channel DAC can offer extra. And what about room correction which I think is essential for multi channel music? If you add room correction to a multi channel DAC, it  is starting to look like a pre-pro...

You can do room correction on a PC when you use it as a source.

The quality of the pre amplification on anything HT is plain rubbish if you compare it to stereo. Better DAC's hardly mean anything in comparison to that.

There is the ps audio DMP, which can link into either of the direct stream DAC's or new stellar pre/DAC asca stack for up to 6 CH

Hell pricey tho

Hey guys it takes me forever to build two channel DAC's - Eight channels would be a deal breaker for sure.

I do like the buying beers part though!

6 minutes ago, Gieseler Audio said:

Hey guys it takes me forever to build two channel DAC's - Eight channels would be a deal breaker for sure.

I do like the buying beers part though!

It will be a good chalange. A few beers can make any obstacle go away.

On 16/10/2017 at 8:13 PM, Primare Knob said:

This might just be a wild goose chase but there are many 2 channel DAC options but hardly any 8 channel DAC options.

I personally would love to see an 8 channel external DAC that can drive a power amp directly so that I can finally get rid of the horrible quality Pre Amps that are AV Pre Processors.

By now we are used to using computers for music playback via external DAC, but for movie playback we still need to use an AVR or Pre-Pro or we have to use a Pro Audio DA Converter which comes with a lot of options not needed for the average consumer.

Anyone else with me?????

Audial's got one coming out this year. Will be reasonably priced. Intended for active systems. 

There's a particularly interesting product coming out of the US this year with an 8-channel AKM setup and integrated DSP too.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Classifieds Statistics

Currently Active Ads

Total Sales (Since 2018)

Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By AussieMick
      Item Condition: Excellent Shipping Options: Shipping is included in price. Suburb or Town: Bendigo State: Victoria Payment Method: PayPal, EFT Reason for selling: NLR Further information:
      RRP $2,530

7 digital inputs 
         3 x coax
         3 x optical
         1 x USB
      2 outputs
         1 x TRS balanced (Libran cable INCLUDED RRP $400)
         1 x RCA fixed

A fine sounding preamp and super flexible DAC. I’m leaving digital behind for an all vinyl front end, so the Majestic is NLR. 

I have owned it from new and am the only owner. All original packaging and manual included. 
      (IsoAcoustics Orea feat not included)

• By GKA87
      Item Condition: Used - Good condition Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: CAPEL SOUND State: Victoria Payment Method: PayPal or Cash on Pickup Reason for selling: Got the upgrade itch. Selling my Burson Play. 

I'm selling my Burson Play, as I have the itch to upgrade to a balanced DAC, it's still in good condition, comes with original packaging and all accessories (includes remote control), and has never been opened up and had OpAmps rolled. 

Sounds excellent, and has the novel features of rollable OpAmps and being able to fit in a 5.25" drive bay of a computer case (also has a mic in) and Preamp.

Available for pick-up or postage at buyers expense, feel free to message me for further details.

• By Doomguy
      After 7 years my faithful Audio GD NFB 15.32 is dying on me, so I'm looking for a new solution.

My use case is Windows PC -> DAC/Amp -> Headphones and powered speakers

I primarily use my speakers over my headphones, probably about a 85/15 split. For what it's worth, speakers are JBL 305p MkII and headphones are Sennheiser HD 58X but both of these are subject to future upgrade, so I don't mind going with something that might seem 'overkill' for this tier of hardware. Features / things that I'm ideally after are;

Great sound quality / specs for the price Pre-amp control for my speakers Being able to switch between headphone and pre-amp output without unplugging headphones (I'm used to having this with the Audio GD for years now, but I could adjust to not having that feature. I'd just rather not have to 😄) Ideally have multiple inputs (USB, optical, coaxial) Nice build quality Balanced would be kinda cool but really, really not necessary  
      The main unit I've been eyeing is the JDS Labs Element II combo, $400US. I own the atom amp in my turntable set-up so I have the utmost confidence in the sound quality of the unit, and I think the design is very, very sleek and would look beautiful on my desk. They also have a stellar reputation for their post sales support. The only major misgiving I have of it is that it only has USB input. Given that I'm only/primarily using it with my computer, that theoretically shouldn't be a problem, but it's not implausible that I might want to plug a game console into it along with my PC at some point in the future. I think it's just a bit of a bummer that it's single input for the DAC, it's always nice to have the option for other inputs. There is the option to buy the separate dac and amp units instead of the combo unit, but that's an extra $150US, which is too much. 

Another unit I've seen is the Monoprice Monolith THX combo unit, $499US. It's $100 more than the Element II, but, it has multiple inputs for the DAC and it even has a balanced headphone amp! I do find it annoying that it doesn't have balanced outputs for my speakers, though, which would be cool and seems like a missed opportunity tbh. Only 1 year warranty as well, which doesn't inspire a great deal of confidence at this price.

At this point I'm just shopping around, but I'd appreciate any pointers or impressions. Thanks in advance!
    • By MAXXX
      Item Condition: Excellent Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition.,Shipping is included in price. Suburb or Town: Kardinya State: Western Australia Payment Method: Any Reason for selling: NLR, using CA streamer as DAC Further information: Excellent balanced DAC, mint condition, boxed.
      Comes with USB cable and manual but no power cable (can't fit in original box).
      Local buyers will get power cable as well, got heaps...

Photos:

PLEASE READ
      If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved

• By Mr.Anderson
      Item Condition: Used 9/10 Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Notting Hill State: Victoria Payment Method: Paypal, EFT, Cash on Pickup etc Reason for selling: No longer used Further information:

This was my Main DAC for the last 3 years and It has been an absolute pleasure. I have now upgraded to the DCS line and would like to let someone else enjoy this. It's in pristine condition, gave 9/10 only cuz its used. All functioning and all parts included (remote, cables, etc.). I would confidently go as far as saying that this is still the best DAC in the sub $500 region. I've also added 4 rubber feet so you can keep it on any surface without scratching it. 

Price mentioned is firm as this still punches way above its weight. 

Full Spec can be found at : https://www.arcam.co.uk/product,accessories,accessories,irdac.htm

Reviews

https://www.whathifi.com/au/arcam/irdac/review
      https://www.avforums.com/reviews/arcam-irdac-review.9811#:~:text=The%20build%20quality%20is%20excellent,you%20don't%20have%20one.
      https://hometheaterreview.com/arcam-irdac-digital-to-analog-converter-reviewed/
      https://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/arcam_irdac_e.html

Photos:

Cheers