This might just be a wild goose chase but there are many 2 channel DAC options but hardly any 8 channel DAC options.

I personally would love to see an 8 channel external DAC that can drive a power amp directly so that I can finally get rid of the horrible quality Pre Amps that are AV Pre Processors.

By now we are used to using computers for music playback via external DAC, but for movie playback we still need to use an AVR or Pre-Pro or we have to use a Pro Audio DA Converter which comes with a lot of options not needed for the average consumer.

Anyone else with me?????

Well, I have two 8 channel DAC's at home. Neither are very good, despite one of them being a Stereophile recommended component (Merging NADAC MC-8). 

35 minutes ago, Primare Knob said:

Anyone else with me?????

Yep sure am, but have given hope of anything that you don't need a audio engineering degree to work out. It has always amazed me that if you want the best source material ie SACD 5.1, Bluray pure audio you need an AVR to play it at which many pure 2 channel audiophiles scoff at.

I suppose the closest thing is an Oppo 105 or 205.

I think you have answered the question yourself. Multi channel DACs = pre-pro or AVR . 

The newer AVRs, pre-pros are coming out with better DAC chips which begs the question what a multi channel DAC can offer extra. And what about room correction which I think is essential for multi channel music? If you add room correction to a multi channel DAC, it  is starting to look like a pre-pro...

5 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

And what about room correction which I think is essential for multi channel music?

sorry but yukky. You are not getting out what you are putting in.

10 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

I think you have answered the question yourself. Multi channel DACs = pre-pro or AVR . 

The newer AVRs, pre-pros are coming out with better DAC chips which begs the question what a multi channel DAC can offer extra. And what about room correction which I think is essential for multi channel music? If you add room correction to a multi channel DAC, it  is starting to look like a pre-pro...

You can do room correction on a PC when you use it as a source.

The quality of the pre amplification on anything HT is plain rubbish if you compare it to stereo. Better DAC's hardly mean anything in comparison to that.

There is the ps audio DMP, which can link into either of the direct stream DAC's or new stellar pre/DAC asca stack for up to 6 CH

Hell pricey tho

Sponsor

Hey guys it takes me forever to build two channel DAC's - Eight channels would be a deal breaker for sure.

I do like the buying beers part though!

6 minutes ago, Gieseler Audio said:

Hey guys it takes me forever to build two channel DAC's - Eight channels would be a deal breaker for sure.

I do like the buying beers part though!

It will be a good chalange. A few beers can make any obstacle go away.

On 16/10/2017 at 8:13 PM, Primare Knob said:

This might just be a wild goose chase but there are many 2 channel DAC options but hardly any 8 channel DAC options.

I personally would love to see an 8 channel external DAC that can drive a power amp directly so that I can finally get rid of the horrible quality Pre Amps that are AV Pre Processors.

By now we are used to using computers for music playback via external DAC, but for movie playback we still need to use an AVR or Pre-Pro or we have to use a Pro Audio DA Converter which comes with a lot of options not needed for the average consumer.

Anyone else with me?????

Audial's got one coming out this year. Will be reasonably priced. Intended for active systems. 

There's a particularly interesting product coming out of the US this year with an 8-channel AKM setup and integrated DSP too.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By sunbird
      Item: Electrocompaniet ECD-1 fully balanced 24-bit 192khz upsampling DAC

Item Condition: good cosmetically and excellent functionally

Price:  $650 (was around $4k new) - $15 donation to SNA on sale

Reason for selling: NLR, clearing space

Payment Method: Pickup – Cash, PayPal (friend or add 3%)

Extra Info: 24Bit 192KHz upsampling DAC from Electrocompaniet, the same DAC that was used in their legendary EMC-1 UP CD-Player, accepting 16 - 24Bit inputs. Four inputs (1x XLR-AES/EBU, 2x RCA Coax and 1x Toslink) accepting 16-24 bit input signals. Two digital outputs (Toslink & RCA) and two analogue outputs (XLR balanced and RCA single ended). 

Sound is very musical and smooth with that lovely Electrocompaniet house-sound. Great detail and dynamics, built like a tank and with the exception of a USB input (no USB) can still very much hold its own nowadays. Turns a half decent CD player (used as a transport) into something quite amazing ... or grab yourself a USB to RCA/Toslink converter and use with any USB source.

The DAC is in excellent working condition, there are some minor blemishes on the perspex front and the top of the unit 

Link to Electrocompaniet Website:
      http://www.electrocompaniet.no/products/classic/digital/discontinued/ecd1.html

Happy for serious interest to inspect in person (pm me please). Local pick-up will be given preference, but would be able to pack safely and post at buyer's cost if required. Happy to deliver free of charge within the Sydney Metro or close by area.

Cheers,
      Ralf

• By sunbird
      Item: Metrum Acoustics Hex NOS DAC in black with HiFace USB Option, including all original packaging and driver CD

Item Condition: Excellent

Price:  $1,650 (was around $4k new) including insured postage in AU (discount for local pick-up) - $25 donation to SNA on sale

Reason for selling: No more second system (and not again for at least another 18-24 months), clearing space

Payment Method: Pickup – Cash, PayPal (friend or add 3%)

Extra Info: Fantastic DAC from Metrum Acoustics in the Netherlands, non-oversampling, with two optical, RCA coax, BNC coax and USB inputs. Outputs are either RCA unbalanced or XLR balanced. Fully dual differential design with eight DAC chips per channel.
      Sound is fast, detailed, organic (not "warm" or bloomy) ... music just sounds "right".

This was reviewed exceptionally well by a great number of people and is a very reluctant sale. I actually would not be overly sad if it doesn't go, even though I am under strict orders by the boss to clear out a great number of things due to space constraints 😀

Link to 6moons review below (as it is practically three reviews in one):

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/metrum2/1.html

Specs:
      Type of Dac: NOS (non-oversampling) dual mono dac, 8 dacs per channel in fully dual differential mode
      Power Requirements: 45 VA three separate toroid transformers. 18 Voltage regulators 110/115 VAC & 220/230 VAC 60/50Hz
      Inputs: 2x optical Toslink & Coaxial 1x BNC and 1x RCA, AES/EBU module optional & USB module optional.
      Outputs: 2x gold RCA connectors & 2x XLR balanced
      Max Voltage Output: RCA: 2 Volt RMS max & XLR: 4 Volt RMS max
      Slewing Rate: 35 Volt/uS
      Frequency Range: 1Hz 0dB until half sampling rate -3 dB
      Distortion: < 0,03 %THD
      Noise: -125 dB / 16 bit & -130 dB / 24 bits
      Output Impedance: RCA 40 Ohms & XLR: 80 Ohms
      Sampling Rate: Optical: 44.1 to 96 kHz , Coaxia1:44 to 192kHz & USB (option):44 to 192 kHz
      Dimensions: WxHxD 320 x 85 x 320 mm
      Weight: 5500 grams including USB module

Happy for serious local interest to inspect in person (pm me please). 

Cheers,
      Ralf

• By Rhinog66
      Item: Burson Conductor V2+
      Price: $999 plus postage
      Item Condition: good, apart from small scratch on the top
      Reason for selling: not needed
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info: Bought recently from fellow SNA member. Ran only for a few hours. Wanted to check whether the DAC was an improvement over the one of my Bluesound vault. Couldn't hear a difference at the volume I usually listen to. Have original packing, postage no problem

Pictures:

• By jocknoz
      Item: Vitus RCD 100 DAC/CD Player
      Price: $6500
      Item Condition:As new, unmarked
      Reason for selling:Fund change of equipment
      Extra Info: Been in equipment rack from new, PM for any additional info

Pictures:

• By Muzza71
      Item: Bel Canto 3.7 Dac/Preamp
      Price: $2800.00
      Item Condition: Excellent
      Reason for selling: NLR
      Extra Info: In excellent condition, recently purchased from fellow SNA'er.
      I would happily keep this Bel Canto as it is an awesome Dac/Preamp and I have had a few quality dacs over the past 18 months to be able to comfortably say it even bests the highly regarded Luxman D-06.
      Unfortunately this has to go as I have just purchased a pair of Mola Mola Kaluga mono blocks at considerable expense and I need to claw back some funds.
      Happy to post Aus wide in original packaging at buyers cost.
      If using PayPal buyer to cover fees.
      Well below current RRP $7070.00

Pictures: