This might just be a wild goose chase but there are many 2 channel DAC options but hardly any 8 channel DAC options.

I personally would love to see an 8 channel external DAC that can drive a power amp directly so that I can finally get rid of the horrible quality Pre Amps that are AV Pre Processors.

By now we are used to using computers for music playback via external DAC, but for movie playback we still need to use an AVR or Pre-Pro or we have to use a Pro Audio DA Converter which comes with a lot of options not needed for the average consumer.

Anyone else with me?????

Well, I have two 8 channel DAC's at home. Neither are very good, despite one of them being a Stereophile recommended component (Merging NADAC MC-8). 

35 minutes ago, Primare Knob said:

Anyone else with me?????

Yep sure am, but have given hope of anything that you don't need a audio engineering degree to work out. It has always amazed me that if you want the best source material ie SACD 5.1, Bluray pure audio you need an AVR to play it at which many pure 2 channel audiophiles scoff at.

I suppose the closest thing is an Oppo 105 or 205.

I think you have answered the question yourself. Multi channel DACs = pre-pro or AVR . 

The newer AVRs, pre-pros are coming out with better DAC chips which begs the question what a multi channel DAC can offer extra. And what about room correction which I think is essential for multi channel music? If you add room correction to a multi channel DAC, it  is starting to look like a pre-pro...

5 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

And what about room correction which I think is essential for multi channel music?

sorry but yukky. You are not getting out what you are putting in.

10 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

I think you have answered the question yourself. Multi channel DACs = pre-pro or AVR . 

The newer AVRs, pre-pros are coming out with better DAC chips which begs the question what a multi channel DAC can offer extra. And what about room correction which I think is essential for multi channel music? If you add room correction to a multi channel DAC, it  is starting to look like a pre-pro...

You can do room correction on a PC when you use it as a source.

The quality of the pre amplification on anything HT is plain rubbish if you compare it to stereo. Better DAC's hardly mean anything in comparison to that.

There is the ps audio DMP, which can link into either of the direct stream DAC's or new stellar pre/DAC asca stack for up to 6 CH

Hell pricey tho

Sponsor

Hey guys it takes me forever to build two channel DAC's - Eight channels would be a deal breaker for sure.

I do like the buying beers part though!

6 minutes ago, Gieseler Audio said:

Hey guys it takes me forever to build two channel DAC's - Eight channels would be a deal breaker for sure.

I do like the buying beers part though!

It will be a good chalange. A few beers can make any obstacle go away.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By MAH
      Item: Benchmark DAC 1
      Price: $385
      Item Condition: Excellent
      Reason for selling: I have no time for critical listening so I'm selling all my stereo equipment
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Bank Transfer
      Extra Info:
       Works perfectly and in excellent cosmetic condition.

I use this as an outboard DAC taking a digital feed from a Sonos Connect. It then feeds straight into a power amp.

Pictures:

• By Mattk
      Item: PS Audio PerfectWave DAC Mk II w Bridge
      Price:   Price Drop to $2500.00
      Item Condition: Excellent
      Reason for selling:  Down-sizing
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:  Fantastic sounding DAC in great condition, has had little use.  Black.
      Lots of digital inputs, can be used as pre-amp (RCA and balanced outputs)
      Comes with original remote (unused) and power cords.  Original packaging (double boxed).
      Pick up CBD or Chatswood, or can ship at purchaser's expense

Pictures:

• By reflux075
      Item: Chord 2Qute Dac and Gieseler LPSU
      Price: $1300
      Item Condition: Dac Great, LPSU Good
      Reason for selling: Thinning the herd
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info: Prefer Pickup, can ship at buyers expense. Dac in excellent condition, I have the box and everything that goes with it. The LPSU is in good condition, it makes the already great dac sound amazing!

Pictures:

• By reflux075
      Item: Schiit Gungnir Delta Sigma DAC
      Price: $650
      Item Condition: Good, dent on front corner
      Reason for selling: Thinning the herd
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info: Prefer Pickup, will post at buyer's cost. Great sounding dac, started my Schiit Dac journey< moved up the Schiit ladder from this.  This Dac saw off a MF M1 Dac, Rega Dac & Klein Dac. Great sound! 

Pictures:

• By alex789hifi
      Hi All,

Selling the below 3 components. No longer using this gear so it has to go. I take care of all of my hifi.
      My ebay name is alex789hifi and have 100% positive reviews so you are comfortable purchasing. 

I dont have the box for the centre so 'prefer pickup. Will wrap if required, I have metres of bubble wrap
      ,soft cloth & will double box for protection. Í do have the boxes for the AMR and Onkyo. 

Any questions send me a PM. 

Item:  Kef Reference 204/2C (Rosewood Gloss) Speaker
      Price: $2200
      Item Condition:  Excellent
      Reason for selling:  No longer being used
      Payment Method:  Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info: RRP $8000 (no longer current model)
      https://www.techradar.com/au/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/hi-fi-and-av-speakers/kef-reference-7-2-496220/review

Item:  AMR DP-777 DAC
      Price:  $2200
      Item Condition:  Good (Perspex covers over tubes have faded slightly)
      Extra Info: RRP $8000 (no longer current model)
      https://www.stereophile.com/content/abbingdon-music-research-dp-777-da-processor-page-2

Item:  Onkyo M500R power amp
      Price:  $2200
      Item Condition:  Excellent
      Extra Info: RRP $5000 current model
      https://www.techradar.com/au/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/amplifiers/onkyo-m-3000r-and-m-5000r-940283/review