This might just be a wild goose chase but there are many 2 channel DAC options but hardly any 8 channel DAC options.

I personally would love to see an 8 channel external DAC that can drive a power amp directly so that I can finally get rid of the horrible quality Pre Amps that are AV Pre Processors.

By now we are used to using computers for music playback via external DAC, but for movie playback we still need to use an AVR or Pre-Pro or we have to use a Pro Audio DA Converter which comes with a lot of options not needed for the average consumer.

Anyone else with me?????

Well, I have two 8 channel DAC's at home. Neither are very good, despite one of them being a Stereophile recommended component (Merging NADAC MC-8). 

35 minutes ago, Primare Knob said:

Anyone else with me?????

Yep sure am, but have given hope of anything that you don't need a audio engineering degree to work out. It has always amazed me that if you want the best source material ie SACD 5.1, Bluray pure audio you need an AVR to play it at which many pure 2 channel audiophiles scoff at.

I suppose the closest thing is an Oppo 105 or 205.

I think you have answered the question yourself. Multi channel DACs = pre-pro or AVR . 

The newer AVRs, pre-pros are coming out with better DAC chips which begs the question what a multi channel DAC can offer extra. And what about room correction which I think is essential for multi channel music? If you add room correction to a multi channel DAC, it  is starting to look like a pre-pro...

5 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

And what about room correction which I think is essential for multi channel music?

sorry but yukky. You are not getting out what you are putting in.

10 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

I think you have answered the question yourself. Multi channel DACs = pre-pro or AVR . 

The newer AVRs, pre-pros are coming out with better DAC chips which begs the question what a multi channel DAC can offer extra. And what about room correction which I think is essential for multi channel music? If you add room correction to a multi channel DAC, it  is starting to look like a pre-pro...

You can do room correction on a PC when you use it as a source.

The quality of the pre amplification on anything HT is plain rubbish if you compare it to stereo. Better DAC's hardly mean anything in comparison to that.

There is the ps audio DMP, which can link into either of the direct stream DAC's or new stellar pre/DAC asca stack for up to 6 CH

Hell pricey tho

Sponsor

Hey guys it takes me forever to build two channel DAC's - Eight channels would be a deal breaker for sure.

I do like the buying beers part though!

6 minutes ago, Gieseler Audio said:

Hey guys it takes me forever to build two channel DAC's - Eight channels would be a deal breaker for sure.

I do like the buying beers part though!

It will be a good chalange. A few beers can make any obstacle go away.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now