Recommendations for CNC routing, ideally Adelaide or post?

Jonesy_SA

Hi

Where can I get MDF cabinets CNC in Adelaide or elsewhere and posted?
I called a few CNC businesses from the yellow pages and they said it was too small of a job or had an expensive minimum charge. The largest panel is under 30cm high and I don't require assembly.
The driver is recessed and the edges are cut at 90° and bevelled. I could probably butt joint the sides and face mount the woofer if it reduces cost.

Reason for CNC is my tools are in storage and I don't have the time (uni assignments and exams).
2ce5b18d56755eb9233f56d8998eb35c.jpg

looks like a rabbeted mitre joint, you need a router bit set to make them

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/forum/tech-talk-forum/41357-infinity-lapped-miter-joint-bit

Alternatively a single bit

https://www.carbatec.com.au/routing-and-shaping/router-bits-individual-and-set/joint-making-bits/lock-mitre-bit-70mmd-1-2s-suit-stock-15-28mm-cmt

these are big bits and dangerous! need to be set in a router table

I would be considering a different way to join them

Id probably be able to help.

How thick MDF?

You have drawings where I can see the sizes?

Doesn't have to be in cad as long as you have measurements.

Will work for grog :)

On holidays at the moment so should be able to get it done pretty quick.

11 hours ago, Hippy said:

Id probably be able to help.

How thick MDF?

You have drawings where I can see the sizes?

Doesn't have to be in cad as long as you have measurements.

Will work for grog :)

On holidays at the moment so should be able to get it done pretty quick.

Hi Hippy

This is what I wish to build:

http://www.sbacoustics.com/index.php/sb-acoustics-kits/ara-kits2/

They only provided the following box drawings:

http://www.sbacoustics.com/index.php/download_file/-/view/1346/

I downloaded Fusion 360 with the intention of re-drawing the above with simpler joints (i.e. for the corners lap- joint or barefaced housing joint - instead of the 45 degree rabbited joint) and milling slots in the sides for the internal baffle/vent.

The plans call for 15mm MDF, which I don't think is available in Australia but I believe 15mm ply is. I considered 16mm MDF but I believe it would shrink the internal volume by 30cm3?

Those drawings are fine. No need to cad it as Ill just put those drawing into the cutting program.

Easiest is to cut the edges square and then 45 or whatever on a router table or with a hand router and a fence. I have a huge selection of bits. If you go for a butt joint with a view to laminating it with proper timber or painting can do all the screw holes etc and cut plugs if wanted.

I have some 15mm mdf sitting here so you wouldn't even have to buy anything (I got it free from the chippy who lives next door).

Worse part of the drawing is that silly shaped driver. Not real hard to draw in but it adds a little to the time.

If you like I can PM my number so you can pick a day.

2 hours ago, Hippy said:

All the parts drawn in and ready to cut...

This is how the cut looks off a 1000mmx700mm piece.

Just need to centre it and add some tabs before hitting the big green GO button :)

Wow that looks amazing! I didn't realise it could be put simply into a cutting programme. I thought it had to be created in Cad then exported as a cutting file? What software are you using? I'm still trying to make a box in fusion 360 :-(

The recess will make very quick and accurate assembly! The screw holes for the drivers look quite large. I think on the image the dimensions given are actually the through holes of the driver (6.5mm) themselves; a pin hole would probably be enough to get the screws in and started firmly?

To be honest, I'm not actually sure what the best finish would be on the corners, I rarely work with wood, what would you suggest? I will definitely be painting these or trying my hand at laminating.

I guess what ever joint its used will require some fiddling to make sure the vent presses against the front baffle and the internal dimensions are roughly the same.

Edit - i will drop you a pm when i get a chance; out for my girlfriends birthday now.

Edited by Jonesy_SA

Guest scumbag
On 22/10/2017 at 9:18 PM, Jonesy_SA said:

Wow that looks amazing! I didn't realise it could be put simply into a cutting programme. I thought it had to be created in Cad then exported as a cutting file? What software are you using? I'm still trying to make a box in fusion 360 :-(

The recess will make very quick and accurate assembly! The screw holes for the drivers look quite large. I think on the image the dimensions given are actually the through holes of the driver (6.5mm) themselves; a pin hole would probably be enough to get the screws in and started firmly?

To be honest, I'm not actually sure what the best finish would be on the corners, I rarely work with wood, what would you suggest? I will definitely be painting these or trying my hand at laminating.

I guess what ever joint its used will require some fiddling to make sure the vent presses against the front baffle and the internal dimensions are roughly the same.

Edit - i will drop you a pm when i get a chance; out for my girlfriends birthday now.

I like butt joints myself. I've read various papers that suggest they dissapate vibrations more effectively than mitred joints. 

Fusion 360 - I have played around with it but I am more of a Revit user whereas Fusion 360 is based on Inventor. I get lost with the different workflow. This might help if you haven't seen it before - https://www.youtube.com/user/AutodeskFusion360

• 2 weeks later...

Anymore updates on this build?

I ask because I was also looking at getting some CNC work done if I could. I have time on my side but dont have enough time to make the cuts myself. SO I am interested in seeing how this turned out and possibly asking for something similar.

Anymore updates on this build?

I ask because I was also looking at getting some CNC work done if I could. I have time on my side but dont have enough time to make the cuts myself. SO I am interested in seeing how this turned out and possibly asking for something similar.
Waiting on drivers. They were ordered in October but won't arrive until Xmas and then I'm away until NY. I'm a tad annoyed it took two weeks of chasing to find this out.

Hippys work has been great. We won't cut until we can test fit the drivers though. MDF cabinets this time round however could always do some in plywood later.

Sucks finding out delays the hard way. Hippy's work sounds good to me. So maybe this can be an option for me also. Was there any limitation on thickness of material?

I asked a few CNC shops around me and they said 12mm was the thickest they could do which surprised me.

I have a few projects coming up that would finish a lot better using a CNC if I could. Probably use Ply on my baffles and MDF on the rest. And for my larger cabinet that will be all plywood. BUT I am in the same boat as I will have to wait a little while to get drivers in for the smaller project.

Happy for you to pop round sometime and have a look and a chin wag about some cutting for you if you like. If yours is a small thing I could sneak it in between some other stuff Ive got on the go at the moment.

Jonesys are going to be from some mdf. Ive done up to 25mm ply and 32mm pine and blackbutt but generally try confine myself to 20 and under as the long bits get a bit of a sing on....

1 hour ago, Hippy said:

Happy for you to pop round sometime and have a look and a chin wag about some cutting for you if you like. If yours is a small thing I could sneak it in between some other stuff Ive got on the go at the moment.

Jonesys are going to be from some mdf. Ive done up to 25mm ply and 32mm pine and blackbutt but generally try confine myself to 20 and under as the long bits get a bit of a sing on....

Sounds awesome. I only use 18mm on the biggest stuff. I have used 25mm PLY on a build before but thats not needed in the future for CNC. My 3way build will be a single 18mm ply layer with the rest all being MDF. Will send you a PM  explaining my different builds I am looking at doing.

Jonesys speakers will be a fun little build. The drawings are all done and hes just waiting for the drivers to arrive so a good fit is ensured before cutting.

We did too and fro a bit over shape and materials keeping the same baffle and internal volume etc but his other half didn't like the design below....

I was doing some front to back layered renders as there was some discussion about something shaped or curved in marine ply layers.

Im eagerly awaiting driver arrival as they look like they'll be great little speakers.

5a0597dcb73ee_Girlspeaker.thumb.jpg.e6e7fb472844dfbd57f2c3987ba9d5a8.jpg

• Like 2

Looking good, just wondering what's the smallest radius you can run on the corners like in the L-shaped recess you have there.

I always used to go with 5mm radius as assumed CNC tool couldn't be any smaller but yours look quite small.

I have bits down to 1.5mm diameter but only used them for doing inlays.

I used a 1/8th bit for these so the radius on the corners is 1/16th.

The corners of the baffle recess are easy to either square out with a chisel or Stanley knife.

• Like 1