Some questions about power cables

7 minutes ago, ray4410 said:

so what is the difference between an iec connection and the three pin ac plug and wall power point that we all use,same principle as they both have similar mating principles.

It is this side of the IEC that's the discussion.  The connection deforms and wonders loose that has the potential for a fire hazard.   Hence the reason for securing brackets.  Not the plug that goes into the wall.

IMG_1563.JPG

IMG_1564.JPG

You try and have a laugh and the fun police crack on. Serious bunch aren't we. Trev has you all wound tight as. The IEC flying squad, led by "Sweeney Wilson". 

Guest Eggcup The Daft
23 minutes ago, guru said:

When you choose an IEC socket manufactured by the same company that manufactures the IEC plug in a no compromise situation, it's possible to have a high degree of integrity in the connection that takes considerable force to insert and remove whilst at the same time improving base materials and conductivity. I do this type of work all of the time and have never been asked to retrofit the previous existing arrangement. All customers were very pleased with the outcomes and as I am not cheap, all customers happily donated a kidney in order to fund their IEC upgrade desires. Note: Power cables require major organ donations.

Actually, they're just popping round the corner after leaving your operating table to be fitted with the latest in personal upgrades, the AudioKidney™. Using special modified DNA following a subjective study of the expected DNA components and racial mix of over 100 audio designers, the AudioKidney™ removes toxins from the blood in quantities based on rigorous quantum-tuned listening tests. Comes with PTFE insulated arterial fixings - it doesn't matter that the rest of the circulatory system isn't fitted, because AudioKidney™ sees that special entry as the "first centimetre".

While fitting, your abdominal cavity can also be tuned for improved low bass response!

6 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

Bit like when someone at a show who decided to take the covers of amplifiers potentially exposing 240V to the public? 

When it  comes to electrical safety and OHS I'm not laughing.  I take it seriously that I don't die and no one else dies.  Safety is a serious matter.

I had forgotten about that. Every time I do a show in Melbourne , something happens. Last year it was about tagged power cables and the year before it was someone who couldn't tell his kid not to touch the gear with the hot glowing things. They don't come with cages to cover the valves. At least next weekend you won't have anything to complain about. 

11 minutes ago, guru said:

I had forgotten about that. Every time I do a show in Melbourne , something happens. Last year it was about tagged power cables and the year before it was someone who couldn't tell his kid not to touch the gear with the hot glowing things. They don't come with cages to cover the valves. At least next weekend you won't have anything to complain about. 

Probably sounded great though......:thumb:

• Volunteer
10 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

My point, throughout this thread, has been to make the point that over-priced, overhyped IEC connectors (and their accompanying cables) are a waste of money. The money wasted on such connections can be better spent elsewhere. 

You are complaining about people spending money on overhyped cables that make no difference to sound quality - I get that...

You are also suggesting that people should spendmoney on captive cables which also make no difference to sound quality - I don't get that ... 

22 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

You are complaining about people spending money on overhyped cables that make no difference to sound quality - I get that...

You are also suggesting that people should spendmoney on captive cables which also make no difference to sound quality - I don't get that ... 

Well, not quite. I am suggesting that IF people REALLY want a superior mains connection (for whatever reason), then there are far better ways of wasting money than spending it on over-priced, over-hyped IEC cables. I merely suggest superior alternatives. 

Edited by Zaphod Beeblebrox
  • Like 1

• Volunteer
1 minute ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Well, not quite. I am suggesting that IF people REALLY want a superior mains connection (for whatever reason), then there are far better ways of wasting money than spending it on over-priced, over-hyped IEC cables. I merely offer superior alternatives. 

But it's not superior from a sonic perspective and is also very costly. 

24 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

Are you not at the show @guru ?

Not next weekend, the $10k I would have spent I'm thinking about buying a cable burn in unit which actually costs a lot more again. Have fun.

• Volunteer
3 minutes ago, guru said:

Not next weekend, the $10k I would have spent I'm thinking about buying a cable burn in unit which actually costs a lot more again. Have fun.

That's a real pity, I always enjoy risking my life to listen to your setup :) 

• Like 2

• Volunteer
15 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

What is? Fitting a captive power lead, or a Neutrik connector? Both are considerably less expensive than some of the nonsensically over-priced IEC connectors I've seen.

What is the cost of voiding warranties and trashing resale value ? And all for no sonic benefit. 

Sounds about as pointless as buying an expensive aftermarket cable. 

1 hour ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

What is the cost of voiding warranties and trashing resale value ? And all for no sonic benefit. 

Sounds about as pointless as buying an expensive aftermarket cable. 

No argument from me. I suggest you read all my comments in this and other power cable threads. I do not recommend anyone change mains connectors, unless they are faulty. Equally, I do not recommend that anyone waste money on third party mains leads either. There are far better ways of spending one's money. 

[EDIT] If, however, someone imagines that a better power connector will make a jot of difference (it won't, unless the original is faulty), then installing a properly engineered (Neutrik et al)mains connector (as opposed to the rubbish IEC one), will provide a more secure connection. 

Edited by Zaphod Beeblebrox
  • Like 2

• Volunteer
7 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

I do not recommend anyone change mains connectors, unless they are faulty.

To be honest, that's not how your comments come across. At one point I began investigating what would be involved in changing my IEC to a captive cable. This was entirely due to your continued posts about its superiority. 

Your posts can be (and are) interpreted as advocating for people to make that change. You may want to take that into consideration if that's not how you mean them to be taken. 

15 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

To be honest, that's not how your comments come across. At one point I began investigating what would be involved in changing my IEC to a captive cable. This was entirely due to your continued posts about its superiority. 

Your posts can be (and are) interpreted as advocating for people to make that change. You may want to take that into consideration if that's not how you mean them to be taken. 

Then, perhaps, I should make my words more clear. Read my above statement and take it as gospel. 

IECs fall out? I never had it happen once in any home component, my PA system, the OB vans I worked on etc. I agree the Neutrik is more likely a better connector technically, but it's going to make zero sonic difference and in my experience, reliability of connection has never been an issue.

Guest Eggcup The Daft
2 hours ago, ray4410 said:

so what is the difference between an iec connection and the three pin ac plug and wall power point that we all use,same principle as they both have similar mating principles.

The difference is that the wall plug connection is flat. When plugged in, not much moves. The pins are angled and held tightly.

Now look at the IEC. The plug goes into the socket. The pins are generally not held as tightly, and the plug can move in the socket. If the plug moves a bit, it will come out, or form a loose connection (it then cackles or buzzes). If you plug and unplug regularly the plug will also wear slightly and be easily pulled or will in the very worst cases, even just fall out of the socket. If you handle, for example, Dell computer monitors on a regular basis - especially in standing desk setups where the cable moves around - you'll soon come across a case where the IEC plug does just that.

Generally, it's not the end of the world. Leave it plugged in and leave the cable alone, and it connects like anything else.

Inevitably, though, we fiddle with stuff. You only need to move a cable with an IEC connector around a bit to potentially cause problems with the plug, though, not repeatedly plug in and unplug or anything like that - and that is what makes the IEC connector problematic. You can see exactly the same issues with non-audio equipment. Generally in those cases the lead is just replaced with another lead from wherever. But this is audio, and we don't do anything that simple or cheap!

Guest Eggcup The Daft
Just now, A9X said:

IECs fall out? I never had it happen once in any home component, my PA system, the OB vans I worked on etc.

Good. But I have!