Dueland tinned cable - a DIY build

Guest scumbag

been using the duelund 16g as speaker  wire (unterminated) for a while now, like it heaps,when you strip it for termination don't try to scrape off the tinned outer layer just separate the strands and clean with isopropyl alcohol,have just recently made some interconnects with the 16ga duelund, i used amphenol rca,if you like the sound of the speaker cable try the interconnects i think you will be impressed, am going to try the 12ga as speaker wire next to see how that goes compared to the 16ga,all good fun and cheap as compared to the overly hyped overly priced commercial alternatives.    

duelund rca 003.JPG

Edited by ray4410
add pics
  • Like 1

Guest scumbag
15 minutes ago, ray4410 said:

been using the duelund 16g as speaker  wire (unterminated) for a while now, like it heaps,when you strip it for termination don't try to scrape off the tinned outer layer just separate the strands and clean with isopropyl alcohol,have just recently made some interconnects with the 16ga duelund, i used amphenol rca,if you like the sound of the speaker cable try the interconnects i think you will be impressed, am going to try the 12ga as speaker wire next to see how that goes compared to the 16ga,all good fun and cheap as compared to the overly hyped overly priced commercial alternatives.    

duelund rca 003.JPG

Good stuff. If I have good results with the speaker cable then I'll look at interconnects too.

I am going to buy 16awg and use them in double twists strands - I'll experiment with single 16AWG first then compare it to the dual strands to see which suits my system better.

Guest scumbag
5 minutes ago, ray4410 said:

that will be interesting,keep us informed as to what you think about single vs double runs.

There is supposed to be a difference in the two configurations - i believe the dual twist will have more bass but less emphasised midrange and treble. I'll probably order it later this week.

1 hour ago, scumbag said:

There is supposed to be a difference in the two configurations - i believe the dual twist will have more bass but less emphasised midrange and treble. I'll probably order it later this week.

What is the power output of your amp?  If you have a relatively high-powered amp like me then 16 AWG may not be adequate for its bass response at realistic volumes.

I think what you are really saying is that the dual twist has a more realistic bass, not that midrange and treble are diminished.

Anyway, I'll find out for myself this week.

8 minutes ago, bronal said:

What is the power output of your amp?  If you have a relatively high-powered amp like me then 16 AWG may not be adequate for its bass response at realistic volumes.

I think what you are really saying is that the dual twist has a more realistic bass, not that midrange and treble are diminished.

interesting,let us know what you think once you have had good listen.

Guest scumbag
52 minutes ago, bronal said:

Yes that was badly worded. The dual twist would presumably have less augmented bass and therefore on a subjective level the mid and treble may seem less prominent on the dual twist setup versus the single 16AWG configuration.

Edited by scumbag

Guest Muon N'
6 hours ago, acg said:

Geoff does sell the wire...I would not bother buying from overseas because he is competitive and local.  I made my order last week.

Thanks, my memory is crap at times. :thumb:

I'll definitely remember to see Geoff when I am looking at Duelund again, whether they be made up or just the wire ect'.

1 hour ago, bronal said:

I am currently using Oyaide Tumami 2 cable.  I have no problems with it, in fact it's the best speaker cable I've had.  Before that, I had Auditorium 24.  Again another very good cable but a little soft on dynamics IMHO.

Guest Muon N'
8 minutes ago, scumbag said:

Cheap!!!!!!!!!

Coupled with first class service!

Damn! I would pay slightly more just to buy it here, and to support an Aussie small business.

Guest scumbag
25 minutes ago, Noum said:

Coupled with first class service!

Damn! I would pay slightly more just to buy it here, and to support an Aussie small business.

True dat.

You're about to find out. I made the speaker cables and interconnects. Works well with shindo gear and that's the gear that the guy who raves about it uses so maybe that's the synergy. Hope you enjoy it.

Guest scumbag
6 minutes ago, guru said:

You're about to find out. I made the speaker cables and interconnects. Works well with shindo gear and that's the gear that the guy who raves about it uses so maybe that's the synergy. Hope you enjoy it.

Oh, I'm not so sure now. I don't have horns or high sensitivity speakers and I am running solid state (Pass Labs). Fingers crossed.

Have to say the Silver Silk in Oil 3.0 does have my curiosity peaked !!

Has anyone here tried the Silver Silk?

Also what is the oil impregnation about ??

What is it trying to achieve and how does it effect the sound?

@guru, any ideas on this?

Got my Parliament CD ready to go !! :D 

53 minutes ago, Martykt said:

Have to say the Silver Silk in Oil 3.0 does have my curiosity peaked !!

Has anyone here tried the Silver Silk?

Also what is the oil impregnation about ??

What is it trying to achieve and how does it effect the sound?

@guru, any ideas on this?

Got my Parliament CD ready to go !! :D 

The oil is for high reliability and it's used to prevent shorting.  It takes a capacitor application to industrial applications like your supply grid for power factor corrections .  It takes it to a level that a any dry cap can't achieved.  

Just don't consider any "paper in oil" or bees wax.   These are organic and have a limited shelf life.  Infact avoid or replaced these rubbish types when you encounter them, not worth the effort as they are unreliable that can catastrophic fail.   

Also avoid any electrolytics that have paper as a dialectic, there are many of these that are Class by manufacturers as "audio caps".   Paper is the worst  material to use in any electronic component.

• Like 1

Guest scumbag
1 hour ago, Addicted to music said:

The oil is for high reliability and it's used to prevent shorting.  It takes a capacitor application to industrial applications like your supply grid for power factor corrections .  It takes it to a level that a any dry cap can't achieved.  

Just don't consider any "paper in oil" or bees wax.   These are organic and have a limited shelf life.  Infact avoid or replaced these rubbish types when you encounter them, not worth the effort as they are unreliable that can catastrophic fail.   

Also avoid any electrolytics that have paper as a dialectic, there are many of these that are Class by manufacturers as "audio caps".   Paper is the worst  material to use in any electronic component.

Pardon my asking but what has that got to do with dueland tinned copper cable? 

The oil/cotton/silk insulation in my understanding is to do with static electricity and the inability of the insulation to carry a charge, unlike polymers.  I don't know if that is true or just marketing BS.

• Like 1