Kodi v Jriver

13 minutes ago, roh008 said:

I have a feeling you didn't give it a good enough go.

I Feel I gave it a good go in fact 3,good goes, as soon as I heard the ceo from ps audio say it has the worse interface ever well that confirmed my exact thoughts. Kodi is slowly getting like Roon with detailed artist and album info now so that is getting even better.

1 hour ago, powerav said:

I Feel I gave it a good go in fact 3,good goes, as soon as I heard the ceo from ps audio say it has the worse interface ever well that confirmed my exact thoughts.

It's may not be the best but have you and/or your ceo experienced its Theater View? I can't remember Roon being controllable via an IR remote control. 

3 minutes ago, Satanica said:

It's may not be the best but have you and/or your ceo experienced its Theater View? I can't remember Roon being controllable via an IR remote control. 

Theatre view did look the goods but unfortunately I had to manually upload 80 percent of the cover art for my music concert videos. I have all the cover and fan art installed in their respective folders but for some reason Jriver didn’t pick these up. Look I really wanted to use it and invested a lot of time and some money into it but unfortunately it didn’t pass the grade.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, powerav said:

Theatre view did look the goods but unfortunately I had to manually upload 80 percent of the cover art for my music concert videos. I have all the cover and fan art installed in their respective folders but for some reason Jriver didn’t pick these up. Look I really wanted to use it and invested a lot of time and some money into it but unfortunately it didn’t pass the grade.

i'll set up your JRiver if you come set up my Kodi ;)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, powerav said:

I reckon if you can set up Jriver Kodi would be a ******. 

mainly struggling with the repository set up (keeping it up to date)  that Kodi offers.

Edited by roh008

8 minutes ago, roh008 said:

mainly struggling with the repository set up (keeping it up to date)  that Kodi offers.

Well that is what Kodi are trying to stop, I don't use it for that (anymore) the wife does in the bedroom for all her shows that aren't released here. I just use it for a straight media player.

19 minutes ago, roh008 said:

9 minutes ago, powerav said:

Well that is what Kodi are trying to stop, I don't use it for that (anymore) the wife does in the bedroom for all her shows that aren't released here. I just use it for a straight media player.

Yeah, that is certainly annoying with KODI.  I used to smash the repos, but the maintenance required to keep them running has seen me drop right off.  I too just use it as a media player now.

16 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

Yeah, that is certainly annoying with KODI.  I used to smash the repos, but the maintenance required to keep them running has seen me drop right off.  I too just use it as a media player now.

This is also the reason why many so called audiophiles don’t give it time of day. I asked that Hans Beekhuyzeen fella why it doesn’t even mention it as a music server or player and he mentioned that because it’s a video player and eluded to the illegal respiratory stuff he won’t even try it.

1 hour ago, powerav said:

This is also the reason why many so called audiophiles don’t give it time of day. I asked that Hans Beekhuyzeen fella why it doesn’t even mention it as a music server or player and he mentioned that because it’s a video player and eluded to the illegal respiratory stuff he won’t even try it.

So don't use repositories that encourage illegal behaviour... and it doesn't need to play video either. Hans is an interesting unit.

A nice thing about Kodi is that if for some reason you don't like its media player as a player, you can script it to do whatever you want. I run a few options.

I use JRiver and quite like it but can’t get the mobile or iPad app to change volume. It’s streaming via wifi into a Kaiser Baas Soundshift. It might need a setting change on my pc but I don’t like messing with settings because I don’t really know what I’m doing.

3 hours ago, unclemack said:

I use JRiver and quite like it but can’t get the mobile or iPad app to change volume. It’s streaming via wifi into a Kaiser Baas Soundshift. It might need a setting change on my pc but I don’t like messing with settings because I don’t really know what I’m doing.

Sounds like you're more suited to KODI then...

• Like 1

I'm a separates kind of guy

Nuc - Kodi - Covenant for all videos

Purpose built Mini CAPS PC with WS2012 running JRiver and Audiophile Optimizer for audio.

I have JRiver humming along brilliantly so if it ain't broke......................

Never the twain shall meet.  :)

Regards Cazzesman

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, unclemack said:

Sounds like it'd do my head in to try get another player running. Does KODI have DLNA support?

Yeah it does my head and I have had no issues installing and setting up software such as Roon, Volumino but Jriver oh boy that's intense. Yes kodi does have DLNA support as it is also a Plex server and it also picks up my DVR recordings from a Panasonic Bluray recorder.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, powerav said:

Theatre view did look the goods but unfortunately I had to manually upload 80 percent of the cover art for my music concert videos. I have all the cover and fan art installed in their respective folders but for some reason Jriver didn’t pick these up.

From: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=105449.0

What may *not* be obvious from the wiki entry is that cover art for Movies is always stored next to the movie file itself.  So:
Conan The Destroyer.mkv
Conan The Destroyer.jpg

From: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=105449.0

What may *not* be obvious from the wiki entry is that cover art for Movies is always stored next to the movie file itself.  So:
Conan The Destroyer.mkv
Conan The Destroyer.jpg

Well that’s crazy, the standard is just folder.jpg for cover art. I’m not changing all of them.

9 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

Does Kodi support streaming services? Tidal, Spotify, Google play?

It does have a Tidal add on, I haven’t used it. It has a Spotify add on but it’s not the official one, I find it not very easy to use so I don’t use it. Not sure about google I wouldn’t think it has. A lot of the major companies won’t support Kodi as it is a free open source program and they don’t trust it for that reason.

• Like 1

Well that’s crazy, the standard is just folder.jpg for cover art. I’m not changing all of them.

That was/is the case but music has moved to using IDtags. So no matter what you copy paste your music too the tag can be read on any player and display the cover art properly.

However when importing in pretty sure you just need to tick a box to support the folder.jpg

Also Jriver would automatically find cover art, at least for music it does.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, powerav said:

Sigh, you're so quick to judge if something doesn't agree with you.

I presume it's like the way it is (method to the madness) because JRMC supports "extra" images and a decision had to be made on what the main image would be.

Look, I understand the features it has might be useless to you but most if not all problems have solutions.

And FWIW I have much love for KODI, it has some features I would like to see in JRMC.

8 minutes ago, powerav said:

Sigh, you're so quick to judge if something doesn't agree with you

It’s just a fact all my cover art for music concerts are named folder.jpg so that is why Jriver only picked up about 20 out of 300 so I am not going to sit there and re-type all those out. 

I got back to the old school media player days where you used a separate program for movie library management, thing it was call “just another movie jukebox” or something similar. I don’t want to go back to those days where you had to enter 80 percent of your fines manually.

12 minutes ago, powerav said:

It’s just a fact all my cover art for music concerts are named folder.jpg so that is why Jriver only picked up about 20 out of 300 so I am not going to sit there and re-type all those out. 

I got back to the old school media player days where you used a separate program for movie library management, thing it was call “just another movie jukebox” or something similar. I don’t want to go back to those days where you had to enter 80 percent of your fines manually.

Like roh008 said, you just needed to un-tick the Ignore special files (folder.jpg, etc.) option. I just tested this and it works.

16 minutes ago, Satanica said:

Like roh008 said, you just needed to un-tick the Ignore special files (folder.jpg, etc.) option. I just tested this and it works.

Ok thanks, It's good to bounce these ideas around, I'm sure it will help others to make a choice.

56 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

Does Kodi support streaming services? Tidal, Spotify, Google play?

You can lauch Chrome in kiosk mode from Kodi with shortcuts to anything that'll run off a webpage. There are also plugins if you want something more integrated (but flakier).