Importing a Library & sorting with Itunes

So,

I had to reformat my computer a little while ago, which I'd copied the iTunes library which is ripped off my CDs as WAV to a HDD.

From there I copied it back onto the computer and told iTunes to use that folder, but for some reason everything is just labelled by track number and song title, with no information on artist/album etc, so all of the 01.affirmation 01. bat out of hell etc are followed by the 02. songs and so forth. Question is, does anyone know of a way I can get iTunes to some other software to sort this out for me to save having to rip all the CDs again... I really just want to get it organised so I can fill my phone with music for running the dogs, as I don't use the Mac for music anymore in the big system.

Thanks in advance 

Dan

I think you may have a problem with this. WAV is a very old format, and it probably cannot carry the metadata that iTunes uses to identify the tracks. The current format is m4a. As I see it you have the option of importing from the HDD and renaming all the tracks manually and then adding artwork, or importing the CD's again which is probably a lot less work in the long run.

Did you have iTunes organise and consolidate the library?

Have you any of the iTunes files other than just the music? There are database files, image files, and more, 'cause (as groovem says) WAV files didn't embed much data.

Greg

Edited by GregWormald
punctuation

17 hours ago, GregWormald said:

Did you have iTunes organise and consolidate the library?

Have you any of the iTunes files other than just the music? There are database files, image files, and more, 'cause (as groovem says) WAV files didn't embed much data.

Greg

When you enter a CD via iTunes it automatically scans an on-line database that tells iTunes what the metadata is and what the album artwork should be.

• 2 weeks later...