Cooling setup for AVR

Thanks for the review!

Hopefully the S7's are also (close to) inaudible in my setup too, as I also sit only about 2m from my AVR

How hot does your unit get with no cooling in place? My daughter and I watched 3 movies back-to-back yesterday and after 5hours at around -12dB MV my Denon 4311 was  pretty warm to the touch - but certainly not hot.

Do you think with the combination of the S7s and the T9 would  allow you to keep the T9 on level 1 and have a fairly "silent" setup

How hot does your unit get with no cooling in place? My daughter and I watched 3 movies back-to-back yesterday and after 5hours at around -12dB MV my Denon 4311 was  pretty warm to the touch - but certainly not hot.

Do you think with the combination of the S7s and the T9 would  allow you to keep the T9 on level 1 and have a fairly "silent" setup

How hot? Ah... very. [emoji53] Like 20°+ over ambient. Thats not so hot that the case is too hot to touch, but you can feel it's very warm.

If I'd had another 50mm clearance above the unit I would probably have run the T9 top exhaust box, with a pair of the USB fans drawing the air out the back of the cab. I'd hope that setup would be basically silent on setting 1, and hopefully keep things cool enough.

With the T8 and the S7 pair in the current setup, setting 1 seems to do the trick much of the time, and I'm hoping the second power level will take care of it on warmer evenings.
  • Like 1

Guest Terence Hill

My simple solution with the Integra is a 12v fan powered by 5v and switched by a "green" power board.

It quietly draws the hot air out of the unit in region that runs the hotest.

The fan runs fast enough to do the job and slow enough to not be too noisy.

Integra Cooling.jpg

40 minutes ago, TEZZA said:

My simple solution with the Integra is a 12v fan powered by 5v and switched by a "green" power board.

It quietly draws the hot air out of the unit in region that runs the hotest.

The fan runs fast enough to do the job and slow enough to not be too noisy.

Integra Cooling.jpg

It's amazing as previously stated in this thread, you don't need a lot of airflow to make a big difference.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd just throw my impressions in the mix after have the AC Infinity S7 for a few days now.

Anyone concerned about heat in their AVR and on the fence about ordering some of these .....just do it!

It's been a while since of been this impressed with such an inexpensive piece of gear. In my rig the lowest fan setting is 100% completely inaudible from the MLP (a bit over 2m) and at this setting the 4311 stays MUCH cooler than without the fans, cool enough that I would see no reason for me to need even the medium setting unless the day was very hot (and then the AC would be on anyway). I  put the system through the ringer the other day to test the fans out and after 3 movies back-to-back (Guardians Of The Galaxy, CA: The Winter Soldier and The Avengers: Age Of Ultron) at around -12dB (i.e. fairly loud) the amp was just barely warm, it would have been easily 10+deg cooler than without the fans. 

I have them connected via USB to my WDTV media player's rear USB port and they turn on when the WDTV does and turn off when the WDTV shuts down, so set and forget

• Like 1

I've simply got a usb exhaust fan sucking air out of my processor (using a rear usb port) and out the back of my cabinet. Bought years ago off Amazon but similar looking unit to this, but mine is not speed controlled. Cost me around $45 delivered

StorePhoto2__42072.1501286192.jpg?c=2

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
Guest DarkNark
On 15/11/2017 at 6:46 AM, jamiebosco said:

Anyone concerned about heat in their AVR and on the fence about ordering some of these .....just do it!

Agreed!

I have 2 x Emotiva XPA-1 mono blocks in a very confined space. I had cut the back out of the cabinet just so they would fit. Testing showed that running in "A/B" temps were about 5 degrees higher than ambient of 24 degrees. However running in class "A" temps were 30-35 degrees higher. Eek!

With the help of this thread, and advice via PM from @srey I ended up purchasing 2 x Infinity T8's and 2 x S2's of Amazon. Whilst I endeavour to support my local shop I paid around AU $325 for all, including shipping, and the internet advertised price (Australia) for 1 x Infinity T8 is AU $299. The T8's are installed on top of my XPA-1's and I used the 2 x S2's running in a slave configuration off one of the T8's to cool my AVR. Since the T8's are supplied with a US plug 12V transformer I bought a couple of transformers from Jaycar. Link

Currently I am running in smart mode with the trigger temperature set at 35 C and the alarm set at 45 C. If I run the amps in class "A" with these settings they hover between 37-38C with fan running at level 5 (which is the max fan speed I have set). Ambient is 24 C so the same as my initial testing. While the music is playing I don't notice the fans except in quiet passages and then it sounds like a jet engine in the room. At level 5 these fans are not quiet. However running 37-38 C compared to 60+ C is a massive improvement. A bit more tweaking I may be able to come up with a compromise between fan noise in quiet passages and amp running temperature. I would be interested in how others are configuring them and if there is an optimum running temperature we should be aiming for.

• 2 years later...

Long bump here. Am needing to get the multifan s2, either one or two of them. Will be running from the USB on a Denon 3500h, but I saw that comment about the fans still running even in standby mode. Would this be the norm, or is it unlikely on the 3500h? It is likely a deal breaker for me.

5 hours ago, Andre28 said:

Long bump here. Am needing to get the multifan s2, either one or two of them. Will be running from the USB on a Denon 3500h, but I saw that comment about the fans still running even in standby mode. Would this be the norm, or is it unlikely on the 3500h? It is likely a deal breaker for me.

I wouldn't recommend running from the AVR. The USB doesn't really have the power to drive the fans correctly.

Buy a smart powerboard and plug it into that. Will work a treat. Means that one always on outlet controls the rest. 

https://www.jaycar.com.au/smart-powerboard-with-energy-meter/p/MS6152

Easy and cheap fix

EDIT: looks like they aren't available at Jaycar anymore. Just google Master Slave power boards and you will find something

Edited by Johnny_Boy
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

I have just added a couple of small usb fans in the rear of my HiFi unit. I have run the usb lead to my tv. 

As for me tv is on when anything else is used fans come on and off with it.

Got mine off Amazon Au.

https://tinyurl.com/yxoelvbv

More info

Others:

Search results for: 'AC infinity Multifan s7' | Selby

Edited by bazzle
linky