London Grammar recording quality

Hello people 

I'm wondering if anyone has managed to find a well recorded version of their new album Truth is a beautiful thing I've bought both the 180gm vinyl and the Deluxe CD pack both are disappointing for their sound quality some of the songs actually have distortion I would be surprised if this was their intention I've had a few members listen and they concur now have no problem with the music content love the album but the quality leaves something to be desired can anyone help please?

Seb

• Like 1
Guest scumbag

Amazing that a professionally recorded album can have clipping these days. I am going to guess they used valve mic's and/or valve mic amp's. That sound is the soft clipping of a valve going into saturation. Ironic that we have come full circle - we have the ability to record state of the art in a garage but studios actively choose to introduce distortive elements into recordings. I'm all for a bit of grunge and so forth but when something is clipping, on a hi-res system it gets tiring very quickly. Perhaps not so much on a sh*t box car stereo!

https://milocostudios.com/studios/the-church-studio-1/

Guest scumbag

Of course compression is not the same as clipping which is what I think is the thing that the OP is describing. And I think DR is starting to become a bit of a trump-card these days (showing my age). Ironic that vinyl with its limited dynamic range (limited by the physics of the mechanism that the sound is picked up) has lower DR than the digital download which, if it is 24bit could accommodate a much wider dynamic range. Makes me wonder what the hell record companies are playing at.

2 hours ago, aechmea said:

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=london&album=truth

All of these versions, both CD and to a slightly lesser extent LP, have been compressed to within an inch of their life.  They will all sound awful.

Wish I'd known this existed thanks for the link.

It's very annoying I absolutely love this band and this album has been let down by the poor quality it's disgraceful...

Yes I took “if you wait” to listen on someone’s very high level system and purpose built room and it really showed up the distortion. Pity, good music. Maybe this is why we need 2 systems. A good one for well recorded music and one for my 1980s CDs onwards.

• Like 1

Sorry, a bit OT, but it somewhat explains what the Seb is hearing.

Some empirical data...

21% of my CDs have evidence of clipping during mastering ie. flat amplitude hard up against 0dBFS.  Probably a lot of these occurrences are inaudible, but it could be so easily avoided.

re dynamic compression of my CDs...

Using the DR database criteria, only 9% are regarded as "good", 78% as "transition" and 13% as "bad".  Too many "transition"s for my liking.  Could have been easily avoided.

Then add to that the recordings that are clipped during recording and mixing which I'm not sure how to identify.

There just aren't that many, shall we say hifi, recordings out there.  It's lucky we actually like the music.  I shake my head every time I play something favourite that could have been so much better.

• Like 1
Guest scumbag

If you Google "cd compression clipping" this is the 2nd result. 

"The reason it sounds clipped is because the limiter has flattened the transients to having flat tops (distortion, and not the good kind). So instead of the converter doing the truncation, the limiter is. Sounds better having the limiter do it than the converter but still sounds like crap overall."

Yes I took “if you wait” to listen on someone’s very high level system and purpose built room and it really showed up the distortion. Pity, good music. Maybe this is why we need 2 systems. A good one for well recorded music and one for my 1980s CDs onwards.

If you Wait was very well recorded - a fair few audiophiles have mentioned how impressed they were.

Just played it myself and my system certainly highlights pòor recordings / pressings and stands up well.

Great pity they haven't followed up with similar quality.

18 minutes ago, evil c said:

If you Wait was very well recorded - a fair few audiophiles have mentioned how impressed they were.
Just played it myself and my system certainly highlights pòor recordings / pressings.
Great pity they haven't followed up with similar quality.

If you Wait was good it was the benchmark for them recording wise or so I thought.

If you Wait was good it was the benchmark for them recording wise or so I thought.
Yeah exactly.
Didn't mean to sound ambiguous as it certainly impresses me !
Guest scumbag

I had the pleasure of watching a guy master a recording in a studio a few times (going back a few years). Being a true "golden ears" he was able to pick out clipping and then fix it using Protools. I admit I couldn't hear most of the clipping that he could but when he zoomed in to the part where he identified it, sure enough it would be hitting 0dB at that point. Amazing.

Anyway looking all those pictures of the recording venue, I'm not seeing one PC or MAC. I can see some tube mic' preamps though.

• 3 years later...
On 13/10/2017 at 12:34 PM, BATMAQN said:

Hello people 

I'm wondering if anyone has managed to find a well recorded version of their new album Truth is a beautiful thing I've bought both the 180gm vinyl and the Deluxe CD pack both are disappointing for their sound quality some of the songs actually have distortion I would be surprised if this was their intention I've had a few members listen and they concur now have no problem with the music content love the album but the quality leaves something to be desired can anyone help please?

Seb

I'm having the same problem here. First bought the cd and heared the clipping. Just terrible for such a beautiful album. Then thought it must be less on the vinyl and bought that one too. But no, it's the same. Now I a have put the cd on my computer and have run some declipping software on it. It sounds much better now. Not perfect but better.

Was disappointed when I learned about this with London Grammar. Wanted to replace my lost vinyl of If You Wait but the CD is badly compressed and all vinyl has gone stupidly expensive.

As mentioned thread it shouldn't be a problem with this band and does their style of music no favours.

I was listening to LG - Truth - with headphones the other day and I thought my headphones were stuffed.

So, so disappointing record producers are still pulling this shite.

Regards Cazzesman