Cartridge mystery - advice sought

Hey all

I bought x2 secondhand Audio Technica LOMC cartridges from a SNAer here.

The first one had its cantilever snapped while I was handling it. It snapped pretty easily and I thought that was due to its delicate construction.

Had it reattached by a US repairer. When it came back, however, its stylus went missing upon an ultrasound cleaning.

But I still liked the cartridge very much. And the price was good. So I asked the same SNAer if he had another which he did. 

The second one had its cantilever snapped again when a cleaner was dusting the turntable. It was a light dusting and the cantilever was gone. Wow that really is weak, I thought.

Upon some reflection, I decided to send it to Expert Stylus for repairs. 

And this is what they reported:

Observations: The cartridge dates back to 1962 and our examination shows an attempt has been made in the past to carry out repairs. Whoever did the work had very little idea as a large aluminium piece of tubing has been bonded to the coil assembly former. This was done as the original cantilever was fractured too far back to allow a new connection to be made.

That seemed to explain as to why the cantilevers snapped very easily since it was repaired poorly.

But it is somewhat baffling that they reported the cartridge dates back to 1962. This particular model was manufactured around 2010-2012.

So I asked the seller if he knew anything about it. The response was that he bought them new from the authorised Australian dealer TAG.

No damage or repairs ever.

I do not doubt the seller's story really. Then I'm at loss to understand what is going on here.

I don't see why Expert Stylus has to lie about it. They said they could still fix it with their own Boron cantilever and the Paratrace diamond. 

Not too sure if I should go ahead with the repairs. 

Can anyone see what went wrong here? I really can't make any sense out of all this.

Just now, Hensa said:

All sounds very strange! What AT model is it? Do you have any close-up pics?

Sent from my iPhone using StereoNET

AT50anv - so it makes no sense that it dates back to 1962!

No pics sorry. It is with ES currently.

Well the AT50ANV was a commemorative 50th anniversary release but AT were only established in 1962 so the Expert Stylus finding can't be correct as their 1960's carts were only MM. Perhaps the cantilever that was bonded onto the original dates back to the '60's though not sure how they would establish that...?

2 minutes ago, Hensa said:

Well the AT50ANV was a commemorative 50th anniversary release but AT were only established in 1962 so the Expert Stylus finding can't be correct as their 1960's carts were only MM. Perhaps the cantilever that was bonded onto the original dates back to the '60's though not sure how they would establish that...?

Yeah really weird. 

If the 1962 thingy is some sort of mistake, I wonder about the poor repairs they identified. The only logical explanation would be that TAG imported poorly repaired ones and sold them as brand new. But that would be a huge accusation. 

• Like 1

Hi @Happy, I've had several cartridges uprgraded by Expert Stylus and I would recommend you go ahead with the repair............it will be 1st class and probably a much better cartridge with their Paratrace diamond fitted too.

Expert Stylus are probably referring to that AT model or AT in general and thus the reference to the '60s. It is possible the seller was a bit dodgy and I could hazard a guess as to who that might be.:ohmy:

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

Well, I hope you got them cheap enough then. I must admit though, I've always liked the excitement of AT MC's.

It does sound pretty exciting. Now I'm not too sure if I was listening to the original given the ES report, but the sound was good enough to make me keep coming to it. Maybe the ES repairs might improve the sound further. 

3 hours ago, cheekyboy said:

Expert Stylus are probably referring to that AT model or AT in general and thus the reference to the '60s. It is possible the seller was a bit dodgy and I could hazard a guess as to who that might be.:ohmy:

Cheers,

Keith

Keith, I have told them to go ahead with the repairs largely due to your recommendation. A little concerned that reattachment might result in another weak constitution and they don’t appear interested in giving full explanation in this regard, but sometimes you just need a leap of faith in this game I guess. 

The mystery remains a mystery. The seller appears firm in his faith in TAG, and I have no real basis to accuse them of anything. I guess I will have to leave it a mystery.

Edited by Happy

10 hours ago, Happy said:

The second one had its cantilever snapped again when a cleaner was dusting the turntable. It was a light dusting and the cantilever was gone. Wow that really is weak, I thought.

Maybe the dusting is not that light and getting snatched by a duster would be too much force me thinks

2 minutes ago, mloutfie said:

Maybe the dusting is not that light and getting snatched by a duster would be too much force me thinks

Maybe. I witnessed it. As I said I attributed it to the delicate nature at the time. 

15 hours ago, Happy said:

Keith, I have told them to go ahead with the repairs largely due to your recommendation. A little concerned that reattachment might result in another weak constitution and they don’t appear interested in giving full explanation in this regard, but sometimes you just need a leap of faith in this game I guess. 

The mystery remains a mystery. The seller appears firm in his faith in TAG, and I have no real basis to accuse them of anything. I guess I will have to leave it a mystery.

I've had a couple of conversations with the old the old patriarch, Wyndham, at Expert Stylus and he is the type of perfectionist that would not allow anything to leave after repair, unless it was A1.

My remark about hazarding a guess at who the seller might be, was made with tongue firmly planted in the cheek..............the remark would not be lost on several other members here who all know who I was talking about. Probably not the same chap, so you are correct to leave it as a mystery.

Cheers,

Keith